Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
ipse dixit
QUOTE (whitey @ Feb 8 2006, 01:09 PM)
and I managed to get a gig at the same club. great night.

Eeeeey!

Seriously though, I think we should do a 'Support Whitey' Manchester trip.
Dodge
I would be delighted if the Whitey would do a London gig, I'd be more than happy to witness and support. So would my female companion, or I'll wipe her out.
Jessopjessopjessop
Yes. I've never been to Madchester, and we could feed you lines from the audience.
chadbeserk
Going to see Dylan Moran at the Royal Court in June. Missed him last year.
But I'll be seeing my friend Chris Cairns give it loads on my birthday next month at the Rawhide night at the same venue....I never thought that sentance would end.
whitey
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Feb 9 2006, 11:30 AM)
Eeeeey!

Seriously though, I think we should do a 'Support Whitey' Manchester trip.

Eeeeey indeed, tis the best comedy club in the whole of the North West. I will clash with the World Cup though so it'll probably be a bit quiet.

As for a support whitey trip the sentiment is lovely but I'd hate for anybody to make the journey just to see me be shit. maybe when I'm better/closer.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (chadbeserk @ Feb 9 2006, 12:30 PM)
Going to see Dylan Moran at the Royal Court in June.

Damned Dylan Moran is playing absolutely no gigs near me!! I am so peeved about that!! And no London dates either!!!!
sleeping_pirate
Come to Croydon then! It's like a 15 minute train ride from Victoria Station. He's playing the Ashcroft Theatre in Fairfield Halls here.
Ghost_862
But then I have to get from Croydon back to Victoria, and from Victoria back to Basildon, which all seems rather OTT just for a show.
whitey
Just saw Mick Ferry and Alexis Dubus. Ferry is ace but he's a Manc circuit regular so the novelty has slightly worn off. Dubus was a treat and a lovely fella to boot. He's London based so if any of you Southern types see his name in the listings be sure to check him out.
thirtyhelens
Ooh, thanks for the bump Whitey, I was looking for this thread the other day and couldn't find it laugh.gif

Saw the third of three Kids in the Hall reunion shows at CFIWest in Hollywood on Saturday night. FANTASTIC - they went back to their pre-television routine of writing the sketches on Monday, rehearsing for two days and performing for three. Given the circumstances - hilarious, filthy, sloppy at times and loaded with "let's make the other guy corpse" moments, but a hell of a lot of fun.

U.S. and Canada folks take note - the rumor at the moment is they're considering a tour. Cross your fingers. biggrin.gif
fear_of_pop
Have they ever ever ever been to England?
Ever?
thirtyhelens
That's a damn good question. They SHOULD

(Although I'm sure it would involve getting the right backing, etc. I just found out a co-worker has a child who is in the same preschool as Dave Foley's daughter....lemme find out who we need to pester to make that happen.) ;-)
Kick in the Head
Sausage Night II: The Return of the Sausage

Battersea Arts Centre - Friday 17th March (8pm)

A 25 price tag (no concessions), but its a charitable event and you get a free sausage. And what a line-up. Lee AND Herring. Mitchell AND Webb. Plus Harry Hill! Wonderful...
whitey
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Mar 1 2006, 02:54 AM)
Have they ever ever ever been to England?
Ever?

I doubt it. The show was only ever screened at ridiculous hours here. Brain Candy barely even got a straight to video release. I reckon it would be a little difficult to make any show here financially viable.
whitey
Off to see Sol Bernstein tonight. He's reet smart.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (whitey @ Feb 8 2006, 01:09 PM)
Off to see Chris Addison on Tuesday...

He was fucking brilliant.

Jessop and I are going to a recording of Chris Addison's new radio show, Civilization on the 19th. Tickets for 12th and 19th available here (you need to register to book).
Zoe
Worth a trip to Nottingham for, Daniel Kitson, Sean Lock and Stewart Lee on the same bill:

Nottingham's Theatre Royal, Saturday 3rd June, 'Save Just the Tonic'

Tickets are 17.50 and 15 concessions

Daniel Kitson (compere)
Sean Lock
Stewart Lee
Ed Byrne
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 8 2006, 06:01 PM)
Worth a trip to Nottingham for, Daniel Kitson, Sean Lock and Stewart Lee on the same bill

Blimey, you're not wrong Zozza. Ellie, fancy travelling back home for an evening? biggrin.gif
FULL MOONERS
Hello all

just thought I'd make a list of must see and very good circuit comedians

Jim Jeffries (a must see!)
Al Pitcher
Andrew Maxwell
Matt Kirshen
Silky
Andre Vincent
John Fothergill
Glenn Wool
Stefano Paolini
Nick Doody
Sol Bernstein
Tiernan Douieb
Papa CJ
Jason Rouse
Marcus Brigstocke
Steve Hughes
Milton Jones
Adam Bloom
Rob Rouse
Reginald D Hunter
Rob Heeney
Pete Cain
Alex Horne
Caroline Quinlan
Daniel Kitson
Brendon Burns
Phil Nichol
Patrick Monohan
Ninia Benjamin
David Hadingham

Also just a quick plug Full Mooners this Thursday has Sean Lock (8 out of 10 cats) and The Cuban Brothers doing 2 completely different sets

Heres some info!

Full Mooners - The Story so far... With reviews/pictures/video link - click here
Full Mooners - Simon Pegg returns to stand-up... click here
Full Mooners - Jade Goody turns ugly... click here

(sorry couldn't resist the plug)
Jumpin Jack Flash
Papa CJ has/is playing/played at the little thaetre recently i think.
luvmusic
QUOTE (FULL MOONERS @ Mar 8 2006, 09:21 PM)
Also just a quick plug Full Mooners this Thursday has Sean Lock (8 out of 10 cats)

Surely 'Sean Lock (15 Storeys High)' is a better plug?
Ghost_862
Sean Lock is filming 8 Out Of 10 Cats tomorrow at the BBC studios until fairly late.

Is this another one of those midnight thingies? Or is it at a sensible time? I might come if I can get home afterwards as I adore Sean's stand-up and he hasn't done any for aggggesssss.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 8 2006, 07:11 PM)
Blimey, you're not wrong Zozza. Ellie, fancy travelling back home for an evening?  biggrin.gif

Sweet. Consider it done.

Well, it's not done quite yet as I'm hideously overdrawn, but tomorrow I'll get paid and then it will be done.
pump.up.the.jam
i went to see bill bailey, noel fielding, omid djalili, dylan moran and a bunch of others at the brighton paramount comedy festival last october, they were all fantasticaly funny... want to go see eddie izzard next so very badly
Ghost_862
QUOTE (pump.up.the.jam @ Mar 9 2006, 10:00 AM)
i went to see bill bailey, noel fielding, omid djalili, dylan moran and a bunch of others at the brighton paramount comedy festival last october, they were all fantasticaly funny... want to go see eddie izzard next so very badly

I wanted to go to that season, and would have added Alan Carr to my list, but I don't live near enough to Brighton sad.gif
fatseff1234
I'm off to see Dylan Moran when he's in York in June I think.

Can't wait.
NiteFall
My girlfriend has bought tickets for the Mighty Boosh's 2nd of April show in Southampton. I now feel really, reallllllly guilty, as she's paid for them and it's on her birthday. Must make sure I get her something uber-shiny as a giftage. Otherwise I really am scum.
butterfly_with_a_bomb?
Dara O' Brien at the Hippodrome hopefully!
Ghost_862
QUOTE (butterfly_with_a_bomb? @ Mar 11 2006, 11:47 AM)
Dara O' Brien at the Hippodrome hopefully!

oO I'm seeing him in Southend Oo

He played the Palace Theatre (tiny) last year and I was second row, and he had me laughing from the very beginning. He doesn't warm up... he just comes on and grabs you.

This year he's playing the Pavilion, massive, that seats a couple of thousand people. Hope he fills it smile.gif I got front row!!
whitey
Saw Jim Jeffries and Caimh McDonnell last night. Both brilliant in very different ways.
Jessopjessopjessop
Saw Mitchell & Webb performing some sketches for their new BBC series last night. It was a mixed bag, but overall very amusing.

And hello to Kick in the Head, who I chatted to during the interval!
Kick in the Head
Yes, hi Jessop!

Overall, I thought most of the material was very funny, but quite a few sketches fell into typical sketch show situations, and on second thought, felt as if they were only funny because Mitchell and Webb were doing it. But, considering that it was all spoken without much in the way of visual aid, there was still a lot of quality gags to be had. I wonder if the other 2 guys playing supporting roles will be in the actual show, because I thought they were both superb. And it was a nice surprise to see the lovely Olivia Colman joining in. I'm looking forward to the actual show a little bit more now.
Jessopjessopjessop
Saw Simon Amstell @ The Pleasance, Islington, last night.

Mr. Popworld was trying out material last night for his upcoming Edinburgh show. He's a funny chap, although these warm-ups are always a mixed bag. Some of it was good, some of it needed work. Several times he said "Yeah, that needs an ending". I think his material about pop culture is some of his best, but he talks quite a lot about his own life too, which is amusing. Some of the more satirical/ironic stuff just needed more of his confidence to make it work, which will come in time, I imagine.

Look out for an hi-larious filmed section when he departs Popworld this weekend - they recorded a bit for the show last night. If you're very lucky, you will see ipse and me on the front row!
Twinkle
Ooh I'm going to see Dylan Moran in Hull on the 17th June happy.gif

am very excited biggrin.gif

Twink
Omniscia
Al Franken on Saturday night, live! It's been years since I've been able to say that!
ipse dixit
Excellent stuff last night from Abnormally Funny People at Soho Theatre, a group of variously disabled comedians. The 'token able bodied guy' who sort of compered between them was probably the weakest, although he still raised a few giggles. Naturally, most of the humour was disability-orientated, from Scouser Paul Betney (a strong - if quite manic - opening act) talking about his Benign Essential Tremor "...I don't see what's so essential about it, and it's not very fucking benign either", to Liz Carr talking about the orgasm potential of cobbled streets for a wheelchair user. Well worth a look.
Jessopjessopjessop
Meanwhile, in Jessopland - Armstrong & Miller @ BBC Television Centre. Not really live comedy in this thread's normal sense, so I'll just mention warm-up comedian Russell Howard, who was pretty good - his act ranging from slightly weird observational humour, to fun banter with the audience. Tried to be a little too much like Noel Fielding at times, but strong all the same.
sugarbum
We were at Armstrong and Miller too. Russell Howard was an added bonus - we might have been stalking him around London a bit of late. But he is a very funny chap. I'm not sure about the Noel Fielding comaparison though.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (sugarbum @ Apr 28 2006, 09:56 AM)
We were at Armstrong and Miller too.  Russell Howard was an added bonus - we might have been stalking him around London a bit of late.  But he is a very funny chap.  I'm not sure about the Noel Fielding comaparison though.

Please tell me you weren't the girl on the back row piercing my brain with your fake laughter...

It was the way Howard would say things like 'Wouldn't it be brilliant if...' or 'I love it when this happens...' like Fielding does, but without genuine excitement, as if he was trying to create energy that way. Don't get me wrong, he was funny, but those bits rang false to me.
whitey
Die Clatterschenkenfietermaus in Rusholme last night. In all seriousness if these fuckers are playing in your area you need to go and see them. I believe they're at Edinburgh again this year. They are never less than hilarious every time I see them.
Ghost_862
oO BBC tickets for Omid Djalili came through today biggrin.gif Oo
rabbit57i
QUOTE (whitey @ Apr 28 2006, 08:53 AM)
Die Clatterschenkenfietermaus in Rusholme last night.
Lucky you! I would love a chance to see them.
whitey
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Apr 28 2006, 04:14 PM)
Lucky you! I would love a chance to see them.

they have a gig list on their website. always worth keeping an eye on. you never know...
sleeping_pirate
Me and feckless_dykey_prostitute are off to see The Producers on Tuesday, cannot wait!

And I might be seeing QI on Wednesday, but I'm working until 6 so I may have to miss it sad.gif
feckless_dykey_prostitute
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Apr 28 2006, 06:42 PM)
Me and feckless_dykey_prostitute are off to see The Producers on Tuesday, cannot wait!

I'm rather excited! biggrin.gif
Ghost_862
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Apr 28 2006, 05:42 PM)

And I might be seeing QI on Wednesday, but I'm working until 6 so I may have to miss it sad.gif

I had QI tickets but they moved filming forward by over an hour so Alan Davies could go to a football match, and I never recieved notification mad.gif
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Apr 28 2006, 05:42 PM)

Could you dribble on Reece a bit for me?
Jessopjessopjessop
Monkey Business @ The Pleasance, Islington. You can't really complain about a charity gig, especially one trying to save our lovely furry cousins, the great apes - but this didn't disappoint.

Michael Fabbri was first on, with some reasonable observational stuff, some of which was amusing, and some of which needed punchlines.

Josie Long was next, and a real discovery. She had a great combination of good material, some genuine eccentricity, and a really likeable personality. She had some lovely childlike drawings to illustrate some jokes, as well as homemade Venn Diagrams. And I'll never be able to listen to 'Live and Let Die' in the same way again.

Then came right-on poet Paul Hamilton, aka the actor Kevin Eldon. It was great to see Eldon performing - in character the whole time - and his poems were amusingly heavy-handed satires about everything from Tony Blair to Christmas.

Headlining was Stewart Lee, who unfortunately had the same act as last year. It was still good, and very clever, but it's never as fun hearing the same material. He clearly enjoys stretching the audience's tolerance - spending a good 5 minutes simply commenting on the laughter patterns in the theatre, which in turn created more laughs.
Zoe
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 2 2006, 12:15 PM)
Josie Long was next, and a real discovery. She had a great combination of good material, some genuine eccentricity, and a really likeable personality. She had some lovely childlike drawings to illustrate some jokes, as well as homemade Venn Diagrams. And I'll never be able to listen to 'Live and Let Die' in the same way again.

I've seen Josie a few times, she's a friend of a friend. A bit hit and miss, but very cute and funny more than not. I like the song on her myspace page.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 2 2006, 11:25 AM)
I've seen Josie a few times, she's a friend of a friend. A bit hit and miss, but very cute and funny more than not. I like the song on her myspace page.

Yeah, well I'm best mates with Matt Berry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.