Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 2 2006, 12:25 PM)
I've seen Josie a few times, she's a friend of a friend. A bit hit and miss, but very cute and funny more than not. I like the song on her myspace page.

I'll have to find that. I liked her a lot. I can imagine what you mean by her being a bit hit and miss, but she was on form last night.

Kevin Eldon had me weeping with laughter, which I was extra pleased about after someone on here said they didn't think the poetry worked. Not so much stand-up as acting as he was in character the whole time.

I hope Lee has some new stuff when we see him in Nottingham.
Zoe
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 2 2006, 12:44 PM)
Yeah, well I'm best mates with Matt Berry.

It's not a competition.

*coughs* Matt Lucas *coughs*
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ May 2 2006, 11:44 AM)
I hope Lee has some new stuff when we see him in Nottingham.

Hmm, good point.

QUOTE (Zoe @ May 2 2006, 11:45 AM)
*coughs* Matt Lucas *coughs*

Don't make me take out my David Bellamy Trump Card™.
Kevin Hall
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ May 2 2006, 12:44 PM)
Kevin Eldon had me weeping with laughter, which I was extra pleased about after someone on here said they didn't think the poetry worked. Not so much stand-up as acting as he was in character the whole time.

Yeah, that was me (confusedly) a few pages ago. Glad you guys enjoyed it!
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Kevin Hall @ May 2 2006, 02:37 PM)
Yeah, that was me (confusedly) a few pages ago. Glad you guys enjoyed it!

Ah yes, it was you, sir - I'd not looked back to check. Maybe it wasn't as tight when you saw it or his delivery wasn't up to scratch or summat.
Kevin Hall
I was drunk - I blame that. It's hard to critcise Mr. Eldon.
Jessopjessopjessop
We went to a recroding of Radio 4 show Heresy, last night. Hosted by David Baddiel, the show aims to debate received opinions about just everything from Christmas to homosexuality (Which might make a good thread here, too!).

Last night, the panellists were (American comedian, and actor in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) Reginald D Hunter, (in need of no introduction) Stewart Lee, and Joanna Scanlan (recently of The Thick Of It, and of course, Spaced).

They debated three topics: 'Should all religious beliefs be respected?'; 'We are all brothers and sisters under the skin'; and 'Is the new Doctor Who better than the old one?'.

It was a great combination of genuinely intelligent debate and quick wittedness, especially from Stewart Lee, who had plenty to say on the treatment by religious groups of his show 'Jerry Springer - The Opera'.
whitey
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 16 2006, 10:13 AM)
David Baddiel

I just can't bring myself to listen to it. Herring was on it last week as well and I still couldn't.

-edit-
Off to see Robin Ince tonight which should be a larf, and in the support slot is Andrew O'Neill who I saw do a truncated set last night. O'Neill is clearly very talented and I look forward to seeing him develop as he inevitably makes the progression into a headliner. Not so sure about his habit of singing some of his gags but he seems very set on it, and I suppose it works for the most part.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (whitey @ May 16 2006, 09:19 AM)
I just can't bring myself to listen to it. Herring was on it last week as well and I still couldn't.

Oh come on! It's well worth it, especially last night's. I have no problem with Baddiel, and while some of his jokes were cringeworthy, he has the least to say of all the panel, playing more of Mark Lawson role.
whitey
But I want him to vanish and then die and if I listen to his show I'll be hindering the process.
fear_of_pop
Why do you hate the small, hairy, harmless entity that is David Baddiel?
whitey
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ May 16 2006, 12:52 PM)
harmless

He's tricked you. David Baddiel hates you and he wants you to be miserable. Do not be taken in by him.
Ghost_862
I am off to see Dara O'Briain at The Cliffs Pavilion this evening.

I shall report back later!
Ghost_862
Rather good. Almost the entire first half was off the cuff banter with the audience and much of the second half was as well.

I am too tired to type it up and also don't wanna spoil it for anybody who might also be seeing him any time soon.
whitey
QUOTE (whitey @ May 16 2006, 10:19 AM)
Off to see Robin Ince tonight

It was top notch.

Night slightly marred by the fact that there was a girl in the crowd who was the spitting image of Billie Piper but she was hooked up with some greasy fauxhawk wearing Tollund Man with a penchant for WKD (orange type). Shame really as I clocked her laughing at Ince's Schrodinger bit and the Dahmer material while Grauballe chatted to his equally simple Fanta coloured mate, suggesting she could do better. The adventures we could have shared in my 900 year old wooden box...
Atara
So far this year going to see Dylan Moran, Ross Noble and Rik mayall, if all plans work out.... and god knows who will be at the Fringe that I can enjoy during my week there. 2006 will be ace.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (whitey @ May 17 2006, 12:08 AM)
Night slightly marred by the fact that there was a girl in the crowd who was the spitting image of Billie Piper but she was hooked up with some greasy fauxhawk wearing Tollund Man with a penchant for WKD (orange type).

Makes you wonder why she was with him if she was so sharp and attractive.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 17 2006, 04:25 AM)

Maybe she couldn't find a date and had to go with some boring friends or relatives.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 17 2006, 10:25 AM)

Am I the only one reading sarcasm in this? I can't tell at all if it's genuine or not.

Perhaps because of the comment -
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 7 2006, 12:45 PM)
Piper is about as sexy as the dilapidated seafront pier her accent sounds like it spouted from.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ May 17 2006, 04:07 PM)
Am I the only one reading sarcasm in this? I can't tell at all if it's genuine or not.

Not intentional - i just mean there must be something wrong with her!
rabbit57i
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ May 17 2006, 11:07 AM)

I wasn't sure either, but gave him the benefit of the doubt and went with the more pleasant option.
whitey
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 17 2006, 05:31 PM)
Not intentional - i just mean there must be something wrong with her!

There's something wrong with all of them.
Ghost_862
Mitchell and Webb - the actual TV recordings after alll those warm-ups.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows...hell_webb.shtml
sleeping_pirate
At last! I bloody hope I get tickets, the pilot was fantastic.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
Went to see Dylan Moran last night. He was brilliant, absolutely hilarious! It was far too short, though. The time went so quickly...loved every minute of it.
sleeping_pirate
^ He was only on stage for an hour and 15 minutes sad.gif

Sorry I didn't say goodbye last night, I think we went through different exits!
Aw he should have gone a little longer. But it was brillant all the same! We waited ages (it seemed) to get out because no one was moving. It's fine! smile.gif
rabbit57i
I saw Lee Evans last night. So fecking funny! The first 20 at least were literally non-stop laughing from the entire audience. I am so glad to finally be able to see him live. Funny little sweaty man.
sleeping_pirate
^ You're so lucky, I'd do almost anything to see him live! It's just so hard to get tickets for him, they go so quickly.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 28 2006, 08:40 PM)
^ You're so lucky, I'd do almost anything to see him live! It's just so hard to get tickets for him, they go so quickly.

Seconded.

He gets a lot of rather pretentious criticism for not being groundbreaking enough or whatever... but that's not his job. His job is to be funny, and he succeeds admirably, and sometimes a hilarious no-brainer night out is exactly what you need to unwind and relax.
Jumpin Jack Flash
I saw Simon Pegg tonight...For free. happy.gif
Ghost_862
QUOTE (Jumpin Jack Flash @ May 28 2006, 10:45 PM)
I saw Simon Pegg tonight...For free. happy.gif

What what what!?!?!?!?!
fear_of_pop
You bloody Somerset bastard bloodys.
Jumpin Jack Flash
You'll probably see more in the newest Video blog* but Simon did an impromtu stand-up gig tonight in the Little Theatre. My friend wasdoing the lighting and I sat in the booth with him and watched for free!

*They were filming a part of the blog outside and I waved into the camera. They'll probably edit me out though.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 28 2006, 03:40 PM)
It's just so hard to get tickets for him, they go so quickly.
Well, lucky for me he's not that well-known here yet. He played in a little theatre that we just walked up to a couple of hours before the show and purchases tickets.

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 28 2006, 05:02 PM)
His job is to be funny, and he succeeds admirably, and sometimes a hilarious no-brainer night out is exactly what you need to unwind and relax.
The thing he is not exactly a 'no-brainer' either. If you're not quick enough, you'll miss the joke. Totally entertaining.
dolfyn
Aaaaaarrrgghh!!! excl.gif
I would LOVE to see Mr Pegg's stand-up show! It'd be awesome if he came to
the Melbourne International Comedy Festival next year. Well, I can dream....
I missed seeing the comedy genius of Dylan Moran's show this year, as I didn't
have any money! Grrr. mad.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
We're seeing Armando Ianucci's new radio show, tomorrow.
sleeping_pirate
Went and saw the recording of Man To Man With Dean Learner last night, and it was fantastic. Hopefully going to see it again next week.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 31 2006, 02:30 PM)
Went and saw the recording of Man To Man With Dean Learner last night, and it was fantastic. Hopefully going to see it again next week.

Who was Holness playing this time?
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 31 2006, 02:30 PM)
Who was Holness playing this time?

Glyn Nimron. A sci-fi actor who'd had major plastic surgery. biggrin.gif

Is anyone going to Bill Bailey's work in progress?
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 31 2006, 05:30 AM)

So that's where you saw Ayoade. Sneaky. tongue.gif
Ghost_862
QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ May 31 2006, 05:06 PM)

Me me me me me me me!!!

There's eight of us going, mostly from college biggrin.gif

Thanks for the link or I'd never have known!
ipse dixit
QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ May 31 2006, 06:06 PM)

Yes, ma'am. Me, Jessop, Jester & Fireman James have tickets for the Thursday show. Suh-weet.
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jun 2 2006, 05:53 PM)
Me me me me me me me!!!
There's eight of us going, mostly from college biggrin.gif
Thanks for the link or I'd never have known!

Hey hey hey...quite excited there Ghost! S'ok smile.gif

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jun 2 2006, 09:09 PM)
Yes, ma'am. Me, Jessop, Jester & Fireman James have tickets for the Thursday show. Suh-weet.

Nice line up. You have a good time there now.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ Jun 3 2006, 07:55 PM)
Hey hey hey...quite excited there Ghost! S'ok  smile.gif

I was quite peeved at missing the Chocolate Factory gigs and the other ones around the same time a month or two ago as I only found out about them in The Guide the week they happened, when they'd already sold out.

My friend's sister ended up at one of them purely by chance and said it was fantastic so I was really jealous tongue.gif

So when I saw your post I spoke to everyone at college the next day, enlisted people and booked that night. I was taking no chances laugh.gif
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jun 3 2006, 09:21 PM)
I was quite peeved at missing the Chocolate Factory gigs and the other ones around the same time a month or two ago as I only found out about them in The Guide the week they happened, when they'd already sold out.

My friend's sister ended up at one of them purely by chance and said it was fantastic so I was really jealous tongue.gif

So when I saw your post I spoke to everyone at college the next day, enlisted people and booked that night. I was taking no chances  laugh.gif

I see...well you were excited for good reason then! I'm going aswell smile.gif
Ghost_862
I'm going on the Friday smile.gif

I have a very busy July coming up!!
sleeping_pirate
I'm going on the Saturday. It'll be celebrating my last day at work and also just 5 days before I go off on holiday. And 2 days before I see the Red Hot Chili Peppers. So yes, that week is pretty jam packed.
Ghost_862
I saw the Chili Peppers when I went to Jonathan Ross in April.

They kicked ass!!
sleeping_pirate
^ You're so lucky! They were amazing on that show. I've seen them live a couple of times before, can't wait smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.