Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Ghost_862
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Jun 4 2006, 08:02 PM)
^ You're so lucky! They were amazing on that show. I've seen them live a couple of times before, can't wait smile.gif

It certainly compensated for the fact that throughout the rest of the show there was a bloody great camera right in my way, so each guest was like an oblong with shoes.
Jessopjessopjessop
Heresy

Second show wasn't quite as amusing or interesting as the first, mainly because the panel didn't gel together and the audience members who participated were retards. Host David Baddiel was joined by Chris Addison, Rhys Thomas and Jimmy Carr. Yes, Jimmy Carr.

The topics they debated were 'Would the English have withstood a German invasion during WWII?'; 'Is Prog-rock shit?'; and 'Why is it acceptable to make fun of Gingers?'. I have paraphrased slightly.

So the question you will all want to know is... is Jimmy Carr a twat? And the answer is yes. And no. He seems to maintain his TV persona all the time being basically a punchline-spouting machine, very much like a smug, robotic Bob Monkhouse meets a melted Captain Scarlet toy. But he wasn't all bad. He's very quick-witted, despite managing to sound pre-rehearsed, and at least seemed like he wanted to entertain the audience.
luvmusic
When I saw him at the Hackney Empire he was mercilessly booed, but dealt with it quite well & wittily, I thought. And I hate him.
Ghost_862
I went to an 8 Out Of 10 Cats recording in March and he was very quick-witted when he wasn't reading us gags off of a sheet of paper.

I did notice that some of the guests on the show were being periodically stopped and given scripts, whilst others + the captains were not. How bizarre!
Impossible
I'm off to see Dylan Moran up in Bristol this Saturday, no idea how I'm getting back from the place though...!
whitey
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 6 2006, 01:53 PM)
Jimmy Carr.

Cops more shit than he deserves. But he deserves some.
spacegurl
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 6 2006, 01:53 PM)
. He seems to maintain his TV persona all the time being basically a punchline-spouting machine, very much like a smug, robotic Bob Monkhouse meets a melted Captain Scarlet toy.

He's not that bad. He craves acknowledgement (which is fine and to be expected from an entertainer). However, the problem for Carr is that it shows too much.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 7 2006, 01:25 AM)
Cops more shit than he deserves. But he deserves some.

I agree, I don't hate him although I will play along with the hate for fun. It's the total sell-out omnipresence combined with waxy smugness that does it.
tigerlily
My boy bought us tickets to go see The New Statesman last night. I was pleasantly surprised by how spot on some of the comedy was. I think it's probably quite telling that B'Stard works well as a New Labour character.

Some of the purile stuff got a little wearing, but then that's kind of what you expect from Mayall and he does carry it off well. He's still got very good timing.

No residual stirrings of teenage lustiness though. I'm afraid he's too well past his Drop Dead Fred best for me. Ah well.
sleeping_pirate
Went and saw another recording of Man To Man With Dean Learner last night and it was fantastic. Garth Marenghi made an appearance! He got such a big cheer, it was brilliant.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Jun 7 2006, 12:06 PM)
Went and saw another recording of Man To Man With Dean Learner last night and it was fantastic. Garth Marenghi made an appearance! He got such a big cheer, it was brilliant.

Hehe I still can't get over 'the huge board'. I also think I have developed a slight love for the talents of Matt Holness. smile.gif
Llama
QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ May 31 2006, 06:06 PM)

Oooh, might have to see who I can get to go to that with me. Chars for the link!
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Jun 7 2006, 12:06 PM)

Oh superb, I wish I was going to more of these. Was Garth the main guest?

QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ Jun 7 2006, 06:54 PM)
I also think I have developed a slight love for the talents of Matt Holness.  smile.gif

Oh dear. You can tell he's a bit of an arse in real life though, don't you think?
Kick in the Head
I went to Man to Man again last night, and Garth Marenghi was the main guest as well - so either he appears on 2 shows (as Dean Learner has few friends) or they're splicing the two.

It was excellent stuff with Garth as pompous as ever and Dean just as inept a host. Best bit was undoubtedly a clip from a film Garth had in progress, a semi-sequel to Darkplace in that it had pretty much the same characters (Sanchez! Dagless! Reed!). 'War of the Wasps', as it was called, featured our heroes engaging in helicopter dogfights with cosmic wasps shooting lasers over London, with all the special effects and quality of acting Darkplace offered. It was well worth watching the show twice in one sitting just to see the clip again - genius.

Holness certainly stayed in character throughout, seldom cracking a smile, and channeling Garth's rage whenever he messed up his lines to the extent he hit a cameraman - jokingly of course, but you know there were some frustration behind it.
sleeping_pirate
Oh dear. You can tell he's a bit of an arse in real life though, don't you think?

I don't know really, he came across as quite serious, but it's got to be quite stressful filming. But then at the end he gave us all a wave and a little thumbs up. I think he's just a bit shy.

Oh and can I just say hello to the annoying geek who sat 2 seats away from me on Tuesday night. Your comedic insights into virtually every comedy show were... insightful mellow.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 8 2006, 11:35 AM)
'War of the Wasps', as it was called, featured our heroes engaging in helicopter dogfights with cosmic wasps shooting lasers over London, with all the special effects and quality of acting Darkplace offered. It was well worth watching the show twice in one sitting just to see the clip again - genius.

Damn it! That sound brilliant. I hope they keep it for the series.

QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Jun 8 2006, 11:35 AM)
I don't know really, he came across as quite serious, but it's got to be quite stressful filming. But then at the end he gave us all a wave and a little thumbs up. I think he's just a bit shy.

Possibly Piratey-features, but I just get the impression he's a grumpy little sod. Hilarious though.

QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Jun 8 2006, 11:35 AM)
Oh and can I just say hello to the annoying geek who sat 2 seats away from me on Tuesday night. Your comedic insights into virtually every comedy show were... insightful mellow.gif

Did he have a scraggly little beard and no social skills?
sleeping_pirate
I didn't look at him, hearing his voice was enough to put me off him... he pointed out my Mighty Boosh badge and went on a rant to his friend about how "it only worked on radio, as most comedies do". Tit.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Jun 8 2006, 11:42 AM)
I didn't look at him, hearing his voice was enough to put me off him... he pointed out my Mighty Boosh badge and went on a rant to his friend about how "it only worked on radio, as most comedies do". Tit.

Quite possibly the same pair we've seen doing the Free Ticket Circuit. Pair of knobs. They were even talking about the stickers on the back of a monitor at one point.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Jun 8 2006, 11:42 AM)

Ah. We have been stalked by a comedy retard lately. He laughed uproariously at a Buffy joke during Armando Ianucci's show, and did what Ellie just decribed above.

I don't mind geeks, but cocky, know-it-all geeks are the most awful people.
edited!
feckless_dykey_prostitute
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 8 2006, 11:17 AM)
Oh superb, I wish I was going to more of these. Was Garth the main guest?

As a lot of you are saying, he's seems to be quite a serious person. It's not a crush, mind. I just think he's very talented.
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jun 8 2006, 11:44 AM)
Quite possibly the same pair we've seen doing the Free Ticket Circuit. Pair of knobs. They were even talking about the stickers on the back of a monitor at one point.

They sound delightful! He was one of those guys that tries to say things he sees as being 'random'. Basically talking in some kind of alternative comedy style. He pointed out that Garth Marenghi was the main guest, so I told Jade and he ranted on about us being "sheep, no, cattle! Big hairy cattle!" So naturally I wanted to marry him on the spot.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 8 2006, 10:44 AM)
I don't mind geeks, but cocky, know-it-all geeks are the most awful people.

I got stuck in front of one in the signing queue when I went to see Chuck Palahniuk. And I was in that queue for about an hour. He just marched up to the guy behind me, obviously trying to worm his way into the queue, and started talking at him. And proceeded to talk at him for the entire hour.
About nothing but pretentious bollocks.
Comics. Oh, sorry... Graphic Novels. (Comics). And how he makes his own.
Art House Cinema. And how he makes his own.
Gonzo. And how he writes his own.
Photography. And how he does his own. "My photography is pure man. Most of the work around nowadays is so derivative but mine is totally pure man."

There was more of it. I don't remember it all. It was probably a bit muffled, what with his head being stuck so far up his own arse.

The funniest bit was when he was ranting about some guy, whose name I don't remember, who "is a famous graphic novel reader but only manages to perpetuate the myth that all adults who read them are pretentious geeks."
*Cough*Pot*Cough*Kettle*Cough*

And bragging about how he's seen Chuck over ten times, or some crap, all over the UK and sometimes abroad. And talking about how jealous all his friends are. I remember him describing the time he got Chuck to sign a toilet sign, and then re-enacting the conversation with his friends about getting Chuck to sign the toilet sign.

God... that man was unbearable.
ipse dixit
We saw the knob geeks again last night at the second Iannucci recording. They went to the effort of sitting in the same seats and everything. Awful.

Show was good, with Jo Brand, Alexei Sayle and Dan Gastor making up the panel. Unfortunately the auditorium was almost unbearably hot and stuffy.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jun 9 2006, 09:50 AM)
Show was good, with Jo Brand, Alexei Sayle and Dan Gastor making up the panel. Unfortunately the auditorium was almost unbearably hot and stuffy.

Weeeeeeeeeeee, I got my ticket signed by Armando, and Ellie got Alexi Sayles scribble for her Dad.
Zoe
Are these recordings at the Drill Hall? I have very fond memories of that place.

Looking at our Autumn schedule it looks like we're going to have more live comedy than usual, which is great because I like 'looking after' comedians. Hopefully I'll make it up to Edinburgh where Alyssa is teching for (amongst others) the lovely and talented Natalie Haynes, who I can't recommend enough if you get a chance to see her.

I'm off to see some very exciting stand-up next week.
tigerlily
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 9 2006, 09:58 AM)
Hopefully I'll make it up to Edinburgh where Alyssa is teching for (amongst others) the lovely and talented Natalie Haynes, who I can't recommend enough if you get a chance to see her.

She'll probably be on my list again this year as I've seen her a couple of years in a row. In fact I think the last time my ex-flatmate came away with a bit of a crush on her. Perfectly understandable.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 9 2006, 09:58 AM)
Are these recordings at the Drill Hall? I have very fond memories of that place.

Looking at our Autumn schedule it looks like we're going to have more live comedy than usual, which is great because I like 'looking after' comedians. Hopefully I'll make it up to Edinburgh where Alyssa is teching for (amongst others) the lovely and talented Natalie Haynes, who I can't recommend enough if you get a chance to see her.

I'm off to see some very exciting stand-up next week.

Yes, she was on Armando's show last week. Didn't really fit in, and tended to flap about like an exciteable schoolgirl, but one overly keen on displaying her huge intellect.
Zoe
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 9 2006, 10:08 AM)
tended to flap about like an exciteable schoolgirl, but one overly keen on displaying her huge intellect.

That's probably why I like her.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 9 2006, 10:11 AM)
That's probably why I like her.

Unfortunately I didn't think she came off very well for it and didn't seem to hold her own among the panel. I'm sure she's much better when she can do her own thing.
Zoe
Her shows are very well structured and researched, which makes them both informative and funny. People are always impressed when I tell them about the forgotten black smurf.

I suspect it also means her style doesn't ideally translate to a panel show.
Zoe
Last night I went to Manchester to the final of the wackily misspelt 'Just for Laffs' comedy competition, where I witnessed a triumphant Michael J Dolan trounce the competition and emerge victorious.

That's right whitey is officially funny and he has the trophy to prove it.

Hooray!
whitey
I am award winning.
Zoe
Don't let it go to your head now.
Jessopjessopjessop
*extends metaphorical and literal congratulations in whitey's direction*
Zoe
As well as all the quids and a slightly disturbing trophy, look at the size of the bottle of champagne!

(David Tennant for scale)
tigerlily
Heh, Tennant and Piper.

Well done on being funny Mr Whitey.
widowspider
QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 15 2006, 01:28 PM)
I am award winning.

Eeeeyyy! Many congrats you exceptionally attractive funnyman, you.
ipse dixit
Nicely done, whitey.

Now come on, say something funny...
Atara
Congratulations.

I am sure I maybe asked someone somewhere this at some point, but my memory is wank, so i will ask again.

Anyone know any stand ups, whether they be friends or just someone you have seen, who have anything lined up for the Fringe? Always good to get recommendations well in advance.
tigerlily
Daniel Kitson is always, always very, very good.

He's not my friend though, which is a shame as I have a vacancy for an embittered introvert amongst my circle.

Anyway, he's a definite on my list this year. The only one so far as I've yet to go through the programme proper.
Atara
Thanks I will try and keep an eye out. I have been looking online for the dates I am going. however I have booked my Mum and I tickets for bill Bailey and hope to get tickets for Dylan Moran too, but that is not when my friends are up.

Will have to buy a programme when I am less skint. So much is on. And I came to the conclusion it is much better to go see the unknown acts than fork out to go see all the big names you see every week on the TV.
Hobbes
Congrats whitey. I hate you a little bit less now. tongue.gif
tigerlily
QUOTE (Atara @ Today @ 03:24 PM )
Thanks I will try and keep an eye out. I have been looking online for the dates I am going. however I have booked my Mum and I tickets for bill Bailey and hope to get tickets for Dylan Moran too, but that is not when my friends are up.

Will have to buy a programme when I am less skint. So much is on. And I came to the conclusion it is much better to go see the unknown acts than fork out to go see all the big names you see every week on the TV.

One of the cheapest ways to do the Fringe is to get there right at the start and basically lounge about at a venue.

A couple of years back myself and my flatmate took the first week of August off and spent most of the week sat in the Radio 4 garden at the Pleasance. Loads of performers come up to you and offer you free tickets for stuff, particularly for shows that are in the afternoon. You can get an odd few for late shows as well.

Obviously you take a chance on what you go and see, but it's free you don't really care. Most of the comedy we saw was quite good, the drama - not so much.

If I see a guide when I'm out and about at the weekend I can pick one up and send it to you if you want. They're free, so it's no bother.
Zoe
QUOTE (Atara @ Jun 15 2006, 03:10 PM)
Anyone know any stand ups, whether they be friends or just someone you have seen, who have anything lined up for the Fringe? Always good to get recommendations well in advance.

'Natalie Haynes: Watching the Detectives'
Shack
Nice work Mr Whitey.

Officially chuffed to bits for you.
luvmusic
Kitson is not doing stand up this year, just one of his storytelling shows, still be brilliant though.

Some good stuff on the Free Fringe such as Steve Day, Brian Damage & Krystal.

Other recommendations:

Jason Byrne
Adam Hills
Robin Ince
Owen O'Neill
Phil Nichol
Andy Parsons

Check out the Edfringe site for full lists of stuff.
spacegurl
We don't want you to have too much praise, but hell; well done for coming out on top, Whitey!
Atara
Thanks for all the advice! I will look into them all and see if anything fits, then somehow work away to stumble upon the shows without making it obvious it is ones I want to see.
Stella MM
I am award winning.

And it seems like only yesterday you were taking your first steps into the world of making people laugh and getting beaten by the gong and now you're a comedy king.

Nice one!
whixie
I am award winning.

Eeyyyyy! Well done Mr Dolan, although the above makes you sound like a film or some kind of miracle cleaner voted for by readers of Bella.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.