Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
rebelstar
QUOTE (sarkybarker @ Apr 20 2007, 08:59 AM)
Rich Hall in Exeter on Sunday night. I wonder if Otis will get day release to make an appearance.

I saw him in Glasgow last month - Otis was nowhere to be seen, I'm afraid.
Jessopjessopjessop
We saw the Paramount Student Comedy awards last night, judged amongst others, by Robin Ince. Four of the five acts were very good indeed. Andrew Maxwell had a set at the end, and he ruled.
Zoe
Another potential freebie for the Londoners...

The Guardian's hilarious new comedy podcast
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the show
Many Questions from the Soho Theatre is the hilarious new comedy show from Guardian Unlimited. As the name implies, Many Questions is our answer to every political question and answer show you've ever heard. Only with some of Britain's brightest comedians, rather than politicians, meaning you'll hear plenty of lying, procrastination, evasion and wild opinions, but more jokes.

Lucy Porter and her team will answer questions from the Soho Theatre audience in London and Guardian Unlimited users around the world.

You can listen to the pilot episode here or make sure you get a new episode every Monday, free, by subscribing via iTunes.

How to join in the fun
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

· Send us a question by clicking here

· Join us! The show is recording every Sunday evening through May at the Soho Theatre in central London, with doors opening at 6.45pm and the show starting at 7pm.

Tickets are free - just call the Soho Theatre's box office on 0870 429 6883.
ipse dixit
Cooly. Might try and get to that, if only to see Lucy and her lovely hair.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Apr 25 2007, 01:29 PM)
Cooly. Might try and get to that, if only to see Lucy and her lovely hair.

Yes. Hair.
stinketta
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Apr 14 2007, 01:32 PM)
We went all the way to Bolton last night to see Ménage à Un, which was thoroughly enjoyable (and as it was my first time, definitely made me want to see more live stand-up). However the more I think about it and discuss it with people the more I come to the conclusion Rich wasn't enjoying it as much as we were - possibly because the venue was only 1/3 full, with many of the front row seats empty (although the middle front showed up for the second half). Up-close he also looked worse for wear which was worrisome considering it was only the third or fourth date on the tour. I'd still love to go and see it in a larger venue though.

Roughly how long was it/was there any support?

I wasn't able to get to the Bristol gig, so I was looking into going to the Cardiff one, but the last train back is at a stupid 10 o'clock.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (stinketta @ Apr 25 2007, 02:03 PM)
Roughly how long was it/was there any support?

I wasn't able to get to the Bristol gig, so I was looking into going to the Cardiff one, but the last train back is at a stupid 10 o'clock.

Ostensibly an hour and a half but with a break and a bit of an overrun probably more likely two+. And no support (well, not when I went).
Go, it's brilliant and hopefully he won't appear vaguely suicidal.
stinketta
Ah, cheers. I'll have a chat to my friend tonight and see what he thinks about possibly missing ten or twenty minutes at the end. I could probably see it in Liverpool instead if he's not keen.
sarkybarker
Saw Roger Monkhouse (no relation i don't think) in Exeter Havana last night (or Exeter "hounro"). Exeters' finest riverside live music and comedy venue but "having walked around, there's not seen much competion is there?". Very dry and liable to go off on tangaents. It was a middle aged comedy routine that appealed to everyone.

He saved the night after a man/woman/it opened it and tried to offend everybody but only ended up defeating his/her/itself. The second support was Dylan (insert forgottn surname here). He was pretty good. "First up i've got to tell i'm a very confident, arrogant person - i'm also a twat".
rabbit57i
A couple of interesting comedy festival line-ups:

Just For Laughs

Cats Laugh
Biccy
Going to see Bill Hicks: Slight Return on Saturday as part of the Brighton Fringe Festival.
Should be interesting.
http://www.richardhurst.co.uk/bill/reviews.htm
sleeping_pirate
Got tickets to see Bill Bailey in Portsmouth in November. Eyyyy! smile.gif
Dorf
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 2 2007, 10:10 PM)

I don't see Portsmouth listed on his tour details, am I being thick and looking in the wrong place?
melzilla
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 2 2007, 09:10 PM)

I gots me tickets for Manchester! [/smug]
Ghost_862
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 2 2007, 09:10 PM)

I got Wembley tickets. Was pretty cheesed off when I ordered advance tickets from Mister B's website only ti discover I wouldn't be told my seat numbers or location until they arrived a few weeks before the show.
rabbit57i
Gallows Humour - Stand Up for Reprieve with Mark Thomas, Robin Ince, Kevin Eldon, Shappi Khorsandi - AND - a rare opportunity to see the amazing Beergut100 - Featuring Bill Bailey, Christian Reilly, Kevin Eldon, Martin Treneman, Phil Whelans & Jim Miller.
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (Dorf @ May 2 2007, 10:17 PM)
I don't see Portsmouth listed on his tour details, am I being thick and looking in the wrong place?

Ooops, I meant Bournemouth! I knew it ended in 'mouth'.....
shinyelvenqueen
QUOTE (melzilla @ May 3 2007, 12:14 AM)
I gots me tickets for Manchester! [/smug]

And I'm seeing him in Nottingham. biggrin.gif
stinketta
Richard Herring was very funny last night.

Unfortunately I think seeing him in the flesh only made me want to shag him more.
Zoe
Crumbs. He'd be lucky to 'have' you, stinks.
stinketta
He was looking pretty tubby, but apparently it's something I can overlook when it comes to crude, funny men who are twenty years older than me.
rabbit57i
On Thursday I saw one of Ricky Gervais' warm-up gigs for his MSG performance. The man always seems to be in NY but this is the first time that I have finally been able to see him.

The theatre was great, not too big at all. The show was waaaay too short though. If it started on time (which I'm sure it didn't), it would have been have been an hour and a half. And that's not counting Robin Ince's bit at the beginning (which was great). Ince was so totally nervous being in front of a NY audience for the first time but still very funny. I personally found his comedy funnier.

Gervais was good and I'm so glad to finally be able to see him live. But as I said, it was too short. I'm sure the later gig is going to be better as these warm-ups are to get a feel for the NY audience. He's not a laugh-out-loud type of stand up, but he is very funny.

A nice evening out that also included Indian food & NYC rats crossing out path to get to the garbage.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (stinketta @ May 9 2007, 06:43 PM)
Richard Herring was very funny last night.

Unfortunately I think seeing him in the flesh only made me want to shag him more.

Seconded
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 9 2007, 06:54 PM)
Crumbs. He'd be lucky to 'have' you, stinks.

Seconded again.
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 24 2007, 10:43 AM)

I really want to go and see Daniel Kitson at some point, rewatching the 100 Greatest comedians has encouraged me somewhat.
Zoe
I'm going with my Daddy, awwww.
PrincessKate
I could never go to something like that with my dad - over the years he's suggested going to various gigs (its only now occuring to me that for a small landlocked county mainly inhabited by sheep Shropshire doesn't do too badly for comedians) but I've just never been comfortable with the idea. I'm embarrassed easily if anything remotely rude comes on TV when we're in a room together.

A small voice within is still telling me that I could still go and see Menage a Un again in Telford though.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.

FYI Oakengates, that does not constitute comedy.
Mrs Bisley
Ross Noble (FRONT ROW!) in about 18 weeks, which is a stupid amount of time to wait!!

And

Bill Bailey (at the Sheffield Enormodome, as he put it) in 20 something weeks!! It's just too long!!
stinketta
Think I'll go see Russell Howard tomorrow - it's only three pounds and with any luck he'll replace Richard Herring as my sexiest comedian. At least he's only boss eyed rather than being a middle aged, short, rather fat man.
PrincessKate
I have nearly convinced my oldest friend from school to come and see Rich with me next week, only now I'm worried the poor thing is only coming to shut me up.
whitey
This week I will be mostly seeing Robin Ince. Twice tomorrow and then again on Wednesday where he will also be seeing me.
Hobbes
QUOTE (stinketta @ May 29 2007, 12:01 AM)
Think I'll go see Russell Howard tomorrow - it's only three pounds and with any luck he'll replace Richard Herring as my sexiest comedian. At least he's only boss eyed rather than being a middle aged, short, rather fat man.

isn't that the guy who looks like me (allegedly)?
Zoe
Yeeees he does, except he has a wob eye.

I used to see Robin a few times a week too, but he seems to have laid off those '100 greatest kitchen implements' style countdowns of late.
PrincessKate
Menage a Un was honestly much better the second time around, and I was relieved the friend I took (well, who took me, she drove) enjoyed it as much as she did. Even if she didn't like being picked on.
Mrs Bisley
16 weeks and.. 2(?) days till Ross Noble!!

23 weeks till Bill Bailey!!

wub.gif laugh.gif
Zoe
Next Sunday Stewart Lee for free! Oooh that rhymes.
Jessopjessopjessop
We're going to see Marcus Brigstocke do...something tonight.
Zoe
His head is too big and oddly shaped for him to be funny, it's too distracting.

Big head, big head, big head.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 11 2007, 10:43 AM)
Big head, big head, big head.

You can't fancy all comedians now, can you.
Zoe
That's me, laughing all the way to the sexual health clinic.
zeden
Saw Ricky Gervais on Saturday at the BIC.
Petty, typically self-aggrandizing, full of bad taste and fantastically funny for it.
My only very minor gripe was that the show isn't quite as focused on the theme as his previous endevours, Animals and Politics.
whitey
Ooh, Rhod Gilbert on Wednesday night. I'll go to that. And only two weeks til Stewart Lee. If hadn't just had a wee I'd wee myself.

-edit-

Oh, and Josie Long tonight. I love the run up to Edinburgh. Loads of cheap and unpolished comedy.
Zoe
I'm seeing Stewart Lee and Josie Long on Sunday for free, which is pretty cheap.
One_Man_Orgy
Got my tickets to see Jello Biafra. That should be fun.
logger
I didn't even know Jello Biafra was a comedian now. We are talking Dead Kennedys, right?
empathy-with-beast
mmm, I should try and see Josie Long again, it's felt like ages since I've had a decent live-perv at her.
One_Man_Orgy
QUOTE (logger @ Jun 11 2007, 11:34 PM)
I didn't even know Jello Biafra was a comedian now. We are talking Dead Kennedys, right?

That's the fella. Not a typical stand up comedian per say. More spoken word with funny bits and anecdotes.
whitey
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 11 2007, 06:15 PM)
I'm seeing Stewart Lee and Josie Long on Sunday for free, which is pretty cheap.

Gilbert is the only one I'm paying for. I'm on the bill with the other two. Check me out. Johnny Big Time.

That's not even the best bit. The best bit is that Josie Long had heard of me, although she was non-specific as to how or what she'd heard.
Zoe
QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 12 2007, 04:42 AM)
Gilbert is the only one I'm paying for. I'm on the bill with the other two. Check me out. Johnny Big Time.

That's not even the best bit. The best bit is that Josie Long had heard of me, although she was non-specific as to how or what she'd heard.

Woo, check you out billy big shot.

I prefer being a non-specific comedy moocher who gets into gigs free for no good reason. Josie Long has heard of me too, it was when we met and I introduced myself. I hope Matthew comes too, I like Matthew he is super geeky fun.
tigerlily
I've just spent the morning trawling through the Fringe site putting together a list of shows I'd like to review come August.

I've got 113 shows on it at the moment but that'll get cut down and the owners of the review site will undoubtedly snaffle the good stuff. I've got my fingers crossed for some free Kitson though.
Zoe
Free Tickets for Edinburgh and Beyond at the lovely Bloomsbury Theatre, on the 26th of June.

They haven't confirmed which acts are on each night, but promise to include Al Murray, Stewart Lee, Sarah Kendall, We are Klang and Russell Howard.

Might be worth a look if you're free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.