Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Ghost_862
Have booked to see Billy Connolly in October ^-^
NiteFall
Went to see Stewart Lee last night. He was good.
rebelstar
Saw Josie Long last night - she seemed a bit nervous but, despite that, she was really good. And so sweet.
Shack
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Aug 13 2007, 09:57 AM)
Saw Josie Long last night - she seemed a bit nervous but, despite that, she was really good. And so sweet.

Awwww. I wish I was in Edinburgh for the Fringe... I might try and go for the full four weeks next year...

I've bought tickets to see Sean Lock at the Leeds City Varieties in November. I'm very excited.
whitey
I too wish I was in Edinburgh. 48 hours is not enough. I also too have my hands on Sean Lock tickets and am also too excited as well.
Zoe
'Perrier' nominations announced:

Andrew Lawrence: Social Leprosy for Beginners & Improvers, Andrew Maxwell: Waxin’, Brendon Burns: So I Suppose This Is Offensive Now, Ivan Brackenbury's Hospital Radio Roadshow, Pappy's Fun Club

Ray! Bless lovely Matthew Crosby and the rest of the fun club.

And for best newcomer: Jon Richardson: Spatula Pad, Micky Flanagan:What Chance Change, Tom Basden: Won't Say Anything, Zoe Lyons:Fight or Flight
crazeegems
i REALLY want to see Dara O'Brian.......i saw one of his live shows on DVD the other day and i love him on Mock The Week........genius
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (crazeegems @ Aug 22 2007, 05:19 PM)
i REALLY want to see Dara O'Brian.......

If you want to see him, make sure you learn to spell his name. He doesn't take kindly to people mangling it.
crazeegems
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Aug 22 2007, 06:51 PM)
If you want to see him, make sure you learn to spell his name. He doesn't take kindly to people mangling it.

oh come on........give me a break....i missed out 1 letter.........
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (crazeegems @ Aug 24 2007, 04:40 PM)
oh come on........give me a break....i missed out 1 letter.........

I don't mind, but he asked me to post something.
crazeegems
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Aug 24 2007, 06:09 PM)
I don't mind, but he asked me to post something.

Fair enough.........

happy.gif
PrincessKate
This afternoon I booked tickets to see Brendon Burns next month - then in good time booking Herring and a toss up between Frankie Boyle and Russell Howard. October/November's going to be good for me.
Drifter
I think Frankie Boyle has the edge...

Anyone know when Henry Rollins is bringing back his spoken word show back to Blighty? The guy is funny.
Ghost_862
I dunno about Frankie Boyle.. some of his material is pretty good but he just comes across as sooooo smug. Russell Howard comes across as a really nice guy. I'd rather spend two hours in his company. Plus he's playing the theatre which is only a ten minute walk from my house, whereas Boyle is playing Southend.
fear_of_pop
I'd still choose Frankie Boyle.

Although seeing them both would be ideal.
whitey
Russell Howard's popularity baffles me.
PrincessKate
Because he's quite personable and juvenile.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Drifter @ Sep 9 2007, 03:10 PM)
Anyone know when Henry Rollins is bringing back his spoken word show back to Blighty? The guy is funny.

At the very least a few months - he's on tour in the States until at least end of October. And there are no LA dates, which is annoying.

Of course, I missed the big show he did in April with Janeane Garofalo and others. Because they scheduled it during SONY, the bastards. wink.gif
Zoe
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Sep 11 2007, 07:37 AM)
Because he's quite personable and juvenile.

He does have a strange childlike quality to him, even more so off stage where his social skills don't match his stage presence.

I think it's a case of likability being as important as a good gag, which goes a long way to explain Josie's popularity too.

Where are her panel show appearances?
rebelstar
QUOTE (whitey @ Sep 11 2007, 05:44 AM)
Russell Howard's popularity baffles me.

Me too - being personable is all very well, but some funny would be better.
Zoe
Have you seen him live? It's unfair to say he's not funny. His gags per minute ratio isn't as high as some, but I've certainly laughed a fair amount when I've seen him. He's much better than some with a similar level of success.

Andy Parsons for example, who is the only comedian I've ever wanted to heckle. I just gave him a death stare instead.

He's a fitty too (Howard not Parsons).
rebelstar
I haven't seen him live, so perhaps I'm not in a position to judge. Bad me.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Sep 11 2007, 11:12 AM)
He's a fitty too (Howard not Parsons).

I read that as 'He's fifty, too'. Doesn't look it. Parson's, on the other hand...
Zoe
I saw him perform supported by Matthew Crosby, and although I laughed more at Matthew (he taps into my sensibilities more than Howard) Russell did a very entertaining show that lasted nearly two hours and had the audience engaged throughout. People may go because he's he has such a likeable energy, but they also laugh when they're there.

Oh and he's a fitty, wob eye and all, it's a rarity in comedians which is why I continue to mention it.

That said, I fancy Daniel Kitson, so who am I to judge?
Sostie
QUOTE (Drifter @ Sep 9 2007, 11:10 PM)

26th January, Hammersmith Apollo
Sostie
Bill Bailey is doing some pre-arena tour shows at the Riverside Studios. 14, 15, 22, 23, 28, 29 Sept, 5 & 6 Oct.
Drifter
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Sep 11 2007, 07:39 AM)
At the very least a few months - he's on tour in the States until at least end of October.  And there are no LA dates, which is annoying.

Of course, I missed the big show he did in April with Janeane Garofalo and others.  Because they scheduled it during SONY, the bastards.  wink.gif

I think the guy is genius, I remember seeing him when I first started going to the States on holiday, his Think Tank show was some of the funniest thing Id heard in a long time especially his Airport and renaming Hurricanes stuff. Last time I saw him was last year, again on top form, wouldnt mind catching him again when he comes back over.

"If you're my age, no one's trying to sell you anything except life insurance, hardcore pharmaceutical drugs, the hole in the ground, and "The Best of Sting," and when someone comes up to you and hands you "The Best of Sting," you realize that basically, somehow you are dead."
Sostie
QUOTE (Drifter @ Sep 11 2007, 11:38 AM)
wouldnt mind catching him again when he comes back over.

Scroll up 3 posts!
Ghost_862
QUOTE (Zoe @ Sep 11 2007, 10:12 AM)
Andy Parsons for example, who is the only comedian I've ever wanted to heckle. I just gave him a death stare instead.

Is he the one who always sounds like he's reading what he says off the palm of his hand?

His voice gets me more than anything.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Zoe @ Sep 11 2007, 09:44 AM)
He does have a strange childlike quality to him, even more so off stage where his social skills don't match his stage presence.

I think it's a case of likability being as important as a good gag, which goes a long way to explain Josie's popularity too.

Where are her panel show appearances?

I saw him on Edinburgh and Beyond and his was the only set I laughed consistently at. Also loving the 6music shows, especially the Jon/Russbot bits.
And yes he is not un-easy on the eye (but my soft spot is almost exclusvely reserved for comedians so my opinion doesn't really count).

Josie Long I'm in two minds about - I didn't like her to begin with but repeated exposure to some of her work made me like it. Plus she is supporting Robin Ince who I really want to see next month.
sleeping_pirate
I love Andy Parsons.

There, it's been said. We can all move on now.
tigerlily
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Sep 11 2007, 05:58 PM)
Josie Long I'm in two minds about - I didn't like her to begin with but repeated exposure to some of her work made me like it. Plus she is supporting Robin Ince who I really want to see next month.

Josie Long is lovely, lovely, lovely. I thought her Fringe show had the edge over Ince's although he, as he readily admitted, was having a really bad night.
Downsy
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 11 2007, 11:31 AM)
26th January, Hammersmith Apollo

Ooooooooh!!! and its near my birthday too biggrin.gif
Drifter
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 11 2007, 01:14 PM)
Scroll up 3 posts!

Oh I missed that post of yours, much appreciated, I must get tickets for that show!! wink.gif
Mrs Bisley
9 weeks and 1 day to Bill Bailey!!

2 weeks and 3 days to Ross Noble!!

biggrin.gif
Jon 79
I saw Bill Bailey's 1st little gig in Hammersmith on Thrusday.
He was great... as ever.

Then last night I went to see Richard Herring's Oh F*ck, I'm 40!
This was amazing. I laughed so hard, it hurt! I implore everybody here to go & see this show.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Sep 23 2007, 09:17 PM)
Then last night I went to see Richard Herring's Oh F*ck, I'm 40!
This was amazing. I laughed so hard, it hurt! I implore everybody here to go & see this show.

Brilliant, all I needed was a solid recommendation. I need to get my tickets booked.
NiteFall
Oh, sorry. Had I known I would have mentioned. Jennifer and I went to see this during his Edinburgh run and he was indeed great. Except for nearly hitting Jennifer in the face with his skateboard at the end of the show that is.
PrincessKate
Actually I think one of you did, and I said at the time I wanted to see it, that's just prompted me.
Tickets for the post-London run have only just gone on sale anyway, I've been trying to get my hands on them for about a month already.
Jon 79
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Sep 23 2007, 09:28 PM)
Brilliant, all I needed was a solid recommendation. I need to get my tickets booked.

Yay!... I like it when people listen to my concise reviews.

The power of suggestion!
whitey
Saw Jimmy Cricket and Mark Steel on the same bill last night. Both brilliant.
Ghost_862
I have a busy week ahead, Billy Connolly on Tuesday, Jeremy Hardy on Wednesday and Live At The Apollo on Thursday.

I hope I can shift this illness by then... I don't want to be coughing all the way through them.
PrincessKate
Brendon Burns was.......... Breathtaking last night. And not even just in a fangirly 'he's so pretty' way. He wouldn't let up and I was laughing so much no sound came out. I've liked his work ever since I was fifteen and six years later the novelty hasn't worn off, he's fab.

Seagull!
whitey
Saw Herring's Oh Fuck, I'm 40 tonight. Brilliant. Loads better than last year's ever so slightly disappointing show but a little shy of the majesty of Yoghurt. Glenn Wool did twenty minutes in support which was a great surprise. I reckon I'll be going to see his show tomorrow.

Also this past week I've seen Norman Lovett's Slide Show which I was too drunk to really appreciate but seem to recall being worth leaving the house for and I finally got to see Jason Cook's My Confessions in its entirety and it easily deserved its rave reviews.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (whitey @ Oct 25 2007, 05:16 AM)
Saw Herring's Oh Fuck, I'm 40 tonight. Brilliant. Loads better than last year's ever so slightly disappointing show but a little shy of the majesty of Yoghurt. Glenn Wool did twenty minutes in support which was a great surprise. I reckon I'll be going to see his show tomorrow.

Also this past week I've seen Norman Lovett's Slide Show which I was too drunk to really appreciate but seem to recall being worth leaving the house for and I finally got to see Jason Cook's My Confessions in its entirety and it easily deserved its rave reviews.

Really? I was there too.
No, seriously. Front row at the right.
Unfortunately I preferred The Asylum to Rich's set. Thematically it seemed too similar to the last two shows.
I could go into more depth but I've not had much sleep and I need to get ready for work, but I enjoyed Glen Wool too, although I couldn't hear the compere properly so I didn't realise it was him until he actually appeared.
sleeping_pirate
I've got tickets to see Tim Minchin in Brisbane in December, yey smile.gif
whitey
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Oct 25 2007, 07:26 AM)
Unfortunately I preferred The Asylum to Rich's set.

the footage of Barry being electrocuted at the Asylum has made it's way onto youtube. probably not work safe.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (whitey @ Oct 31 2007, 04:40 PM)
the footage of Barry being electrocuted at the Asylum has made it's way onto youtube. probably not work safe.

Yup, I posted it in the Heh files last week, it even got e mention on chortle.
As did the footage of Barry's set-to with 'Chinese Eddie'.

It still makes me laugh.
Mrs Bisley
Bill Bailey in... *counts on fingers*... 8 days...

ohmy.gif
Applehoneypip
Oooh, you're so lucky! I was gonna get me a ticket off ebay for that but it would have used my last day of holiday at work which I'd already allocated for this saturday. Have a great time though!

I saw Ricky Gervais at the Apollo in September which was great and I'm crossing my fingers for Lee Evans next year.
Ghost_862
My Bill Bailey tickets still have not been posted sad.gif I hate ticket companies!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.