Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battlestar Galactica/Caprica
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
cockedlocked
What does everyone think of the new series?
Excelsior
QUOTE (cockedlocked @ Oct 26 2004, 08:42 PM)
What does everyone think of the new series?

I think it's doing quite well in terms of keeping the level it set for itself in the mini-series. I'm quite surprised by them running a story set on the colonies - I'd assumed that as with the original series they were going to stick with the fleet itself but as they're doing it so real time I suppose it makes sense that that guy could still be running around on Caprica (I think it is).

I think the first episode with the continuous attacks was very well played and they've rolled issues from there into the second episode, and the second episode introduced a fascinating psychological battle - just what the hell is going on in her Cylon-Human-Cylon head eh? Is she intentionally just toying with them, or did she decide at some level that if she'd blown the Raptor they'd just have investigated and found water anyway, so there was no point?

As for the newly introduced potential for a Starbuck/Baltar/Number Six three-way - talk about your multitasking!
Chapman Baxter
I haven't seen the second episode yet (it didn't record properly on Monday - it better had on Thursday, when it's repeated on Sky Mix). But after the mini-series and the first episode I must say I'm very impressed. The characters are interesting, and the story is surprisingly affecting - like the running total of survivors on the new president's white board.

And what can I say about number six - apart from that I'd take her over Patrick McGoohan any day, and 'Yowzer!'.
Lazlo Woodbine
I'm also impressed. It's a fairly rare occurance when a TV programme comes along that isn't for the most part predictable.
I'd even go so far as to say this is even superior to the original series.
cockedlocked
The lone survivor is an interesting plotline... why are the Cylons toying with him like this? Doubtless he wouldn't know much about the fleet since he was stranded, but yet, they wouldn't keep him alive if he ws of no use...

What I don't want to see

- that kid they saved getting a robot/dog/mokey thing
- the kid saving they day with some math's whizz formula
- the fleet arriving on earth for Galacica 200-whatever

What I would like to see

- the fleet arriving on earth in the 'past' preferably a time era that is rarely used in Sci Fi... so NOT the old West, Victorian London or WWII
- interpersonal conflicts that affect the entire fleet
- um... the kid to be utterly normal, slightly below average intelectually and have a normal boys' pet like a lizard or a stick insect or something.
sample#136
Well we haven't even seen Boxey since the mini-series so hopefully he was on that ship they were forced to shoot down. tongue.gif

I'm actually really enjoying the show. It reminds me of Space Above and Beyond in some ways and although I'm still resistant to a female Starbuck and Boomer, I'm slowly coming round to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Richard Hatch in the next episode though. smile.gif
Excelsior
QUOTE (sample#136 @ Oct 28 2004, 11:54 PM)
I'm looking forward to seeing Richard Hatch in the next episode though. smile.gif

(That's the old Apollo who was originally really miffed they were doing a remake because he was trying to get it kicked off, but has now merrily jumped on the bandwagon because it's just so frickin' cool!)
Lazlo Woodbine
Oh my God! i can't believe what just happened!!! That was a great series end!
Chapman Baxter
That has to be one of the best episodes of a television drama I've ever seen.

It managed to have - what? - five or six storylines running at once, all of them pitched at an urgent, tense pace. We got to know the characters well throughout the series, and to have them come into new conflict, and make surprising new alliances, worked really well.

As for the ending. I knew from newspaper previews that something dramatic was going to happen, but I did not expect that.

I really hope that enough people watch this to justify making a second series.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Jan 24 2005, 10:21 PM)
I really hope that enough people watch this to justify making a second series.

They better! They can't leave it like THAT!
philt
Will Dr Zee be in the next season? Will we see the return of the Space Scouts? When will they get those really kewl flying bikes?
Raven
QUOTE (philt @ Jan 24 2005, 10:31 PM)
Will Dr Zee be in the next season? Will we see the return of the Space Scouts? When will they get those really kewl flying bikes?

You deserve a long, slow and painful death for even daring to mention the above . . . tongue.gif

I've been re-watching the original series on DVD (£17.99 from MVC's web site!) and although it's cheesy as hell, it's really good fun to watch!!
Svein
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Jan 24 2005, 09:57 PM)
Oh my God! i can't believe what just happened!!!  That was a great series end!

Tell me about it... I reminded me of the Trek series finale (Best of Both Worlds part 1 I believe) where Picard is with the Borg and Riker says "Fire"!!!!

They'd better pick this up for a second season, or I'm having a bake sale so that we can pay for another season ourselves...

What an ending...
Chapman Baxter
** SPOILER WARNING!! **

I want to say a few things about the amazing last episode of Battlestar Galactica.

The ending, of course, was shocking. I assume that seeing all the other versions of herself awoke Boomer's true identity, or perhaps they passed some sort of signal to her. I did think she was acting a bit too calmly when she got back to the Galactica, but put that down to her trying to put on a brave public face as the returning hero. Is Adama dead? Well, he didn't seem to be moving, but it's obviously been left open-ended.

What will happen to Apollo now? If the crew go by the book - as they have done in situations when any other crew in a sf show would not - he will be in the brig for a long time.

I could hardly believe what was happening when Adama ordered an assault team to arrest the president. I can't think of any other show where two long-established 'good guys' could collide so dramatically. It would certainly never happen on Star Trek!

It was good to see Number 6 do more than just walk around looking sultry - her fight with Starbuck was brutal. I did think having Helo (the only other human on the entire planet) turn up in the nick of time was a coincidence too far.

So, as was foreshadowed a couple of episodes ago, Caprica Boomer is pregnant. Does this have anything to do with 'the next step' Number 6 was telling Gaius about? And what on earth was in the cot - some sort of human/cylon hybrid?

Roll on the second series!
rebelstar
Season 1 on DVD

Unfortunately I've only seen the mini series so far (which was excellent) so I'll either have to wait for the DVD to come out or hope that the first season is shown again - which is quite likely, I suppose.
Raven
That's a bit steep for just 13 episodes!!
Excelsior
Isn't it just? Although watching it on Sky Interactive there will probably be a lot of extras in the pack. I suspect they might also be keeping an eye on DVD sales before commissioning another series, but come on, after THAT finale people are bound to be gagging for me. I was watching it while quite tired and I genuinely jumped when you-know-what happened to you-know-who.

As for the on-Caprica incident - apart from Helo wandering around in daylight when he wasn't supposed to, I thought it was OK because he didn't actually assist Starbuck at all - it was basically all over by the time he got to her and Caprica Boomer had told him about the arrow which explains why he was there.

What's interesting is that what number 6 showed Gaius was, presumably, only in his head - at least up to a point, unless the Cylons had actually planted something real on the surface. But it certainly appeared crib-like. Presumably this is the Cylons trying something new, as with Caprica Boomer's pregnancy. I'm guessing that normally the humaniform Cylons are fully grown when activated or having a pre-existing version downloaded into them. That being the case it would be novel for a Cylon to have a baby which grew, and possibly learned, in a more random environment. Perhaps this Cylon could also propagate on its own...
Chapman Baxter
Good news, everyone...

In fact, frakking great news:

SCI FI Renews Galactica

SCI FI Channel has ordered a second season of its hit series Battlestar Galactica, which has aired five episodes of its first season of 13 episodes. Details of the renewal—including which cast members will return, how many episodes will be produced and when the second season will commence—were still being worked out at press time.

Thank the lords of Kobol for that!
Svein
Tell me about it... I would have freaked if they hadn't continued!
Raven
Season 2 will now run to an impressive 20 episodes following it's sucess on the Sci-Fi channel in the US.

You can read more here.
Raven
Sceening dates for the 2nd series.
Chapman Baxter
I see the US gets it three months before we do. I should have known our advantage was too good to last...
Raven
Probably deliberate so it doesn't end up on the web before it's aired to their biggest market.

I've just borrowed the first series off of a friend, once I've re-watched the pilot I'll be working my way through it smile.gif
total cult
The first few episodes of Season 2 is now available of the net for any fans, and having watched episodes 1 & 2 you will not be disappointed. I will try not to spoil anything but it kicks off straight after the shockwaves of the shooting of Adama begin spreading through Galactica. Tigh is in charge of the fleet and you just know that isnt going to go well.

The President and Apollo are still banged up along with would-be assassin Boomer, Gaius and co are still stranded on Kobol. Starbuck, Helo and preggers Boomer are still on Caprica.

The stories are as gritty as ever and the bodycount is increasing on Galactica especially in episode 2, however the Cylons "plan" is starting to bug me. The Caprica storyline doesnt seem to be going anywhere and the Kobol storyline is very thready so far.

No we dont find out what is in the cot either, but if there are 22 episodes this series we can only hope the answers are more forthcoming and it doesnt become bogged down with X-files arc syndrome !
gulfcoast_highwayman
spoiler tags! spoiler tags!
Svein
Thank you for spoiling the surprise there mate!
Chapman Baxter
To be honest, I don't see any spoilers here.

QUOTE (total cult @ Jul 24 2005, 03:09 PM)
Tigh is in charge of the fleet and you just know that isnt going to go well.

We know Adama's just been shot in the chest. If he's not dying, he will at least have to spend some time recovering.

QUOTE (total cult @ Jul 24 2005, 03:09 PM)
The President and Apollo are still banged up along with would-be assassin Boomer, Gaius and co are still stranded on Kobol. Starbuck, Helo and preggers Boomer are still on Caprica.

This isn't telling us any more than we knew from the end of the last series.

Or am I wrong?
total cult
In hindsight after I posted I thought that I should have used spoiler tags, but thankfully Chapman B. may have saved my bacon. There are no real spoilers in my post. I was only setting the scene for the second series. Just be thankful I never mentioned how Tigh loses the civilian fleet or how the cylons board Galactica and trim the crew numbers.

Apologies to anyone I have narked. sad.gif
Chapman Baxter
I'm really looking forward to the next series. I must say I'm a bit miffed we have to wait for it in the UK, given we had the first series a few months before anyone else.
Svein
Ahhh... I'm not that bothered, 'cause I only have Freeview at the moment, but will have Sky or Cable in October...
ronlogan1977
I hate these kind of programmes normally but have found myself quite hooked on this show for some reason. Its good fun and itsnt up its own arse like a lot of other sci fi i can think of.
Raven
Battlestar Galactica Cheapness!

£17.99 - gotta be worth it! smile.gif
Chapman Baxter
Series 2 begins on Sky One tonight, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. (Thank heavens for Sky+, though, since I'm going to be out and unable to watch it till tomorrow.)
Rua
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Jan 10 2006, 04:02 PM)
Series 2 begins on Sky One tonight, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.  (Thank heavens for Sky+, though, since I'm going to be out and unable to watch it till tomorrow.)

Totally. I've been surprised at how eagerly I'm awaiting the 2nd series.

Either it had more of an impact on me than I thought or there really has been bog all on the tele.
Svein
I am praying that the missus will tape it for me...

Is it playing on Sky 2 anytime soon? Or replaying on Sky 1?
Rua
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 10 2006, 04:38 PM)
I am praying that the missus will tape it for me...

Is it playing on Sky 2 anytime soon?  Or replaying on Sky 1?

It's on Sky 2 at 8pm on Thursdays so it is.
Douglas Nicol
Is it just me, or am I the only one who finds the President a bit....irritating.

Bear in mind, I've only seen up to the end of the first series.
Svein
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 10 2006, 05:45 PM)
It's on Sky 2 at 8pm on Thursdays so it is.

YOU ARE FUCKING SHITTING ME!!!!

I rehearse... TUESDAYS AND THURSDAYS!!!

SON OF A FUCKING COCKWANK!
Rua
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 10 2006, 04:58 PM)
YOU ARE FUCKING SHITTING ME!!!!

I rehearse...  TUESDAYS AND THURSDAYS!!!

SON OF A FUCKING COCKWANK!

Sky must really hate you.
Svein
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 10 2006, 05:59 PM)
Sky must really hate you.

I know where Sky is based... I'm getting the axes sharpened as we speak!
Omniscia
Wait a minute, you're only now beginning season two? Whoa. The second half of the season just got underway over here, and, if last week's installment is any indication, I won't have any fingernails left by the end.
DOD-MDK
I love the show but I am not going to discuss the new episode's here because I dont want to spoil it for my UK friends. But I will say one thing, You are all in for a treat!
Svein
Yay... Mel loves me... she hates Sci-Fi, but taped it for me anyway, at the expense of watching something else... That'll be watched tonight...

How's that for love!
Rua
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 11 2006, 10:58 AM)
Yay...  Mel loves me...  she hates Sci-Fi, but taped it for me anyway, at the expense of watching something else...  That'll be watched tonight...

How's that for love!

Pretty lovely I'd say!
Omniscia
But it's more than sci-fi! It's a top-notch, primo character drama, that just happens to be space-bound.
Svein
Good opener... plenty of suspense and drama...

I love the plot(s) with Boomer!
Svein
Is it me or has BG lost a bit of it's edge... I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's just not as captivating as the first series...

It's not bad, not bad at all... Just not quite as superb as it was...
Omniscia
Well, part of that could be the switch (of late) to smaller, more focused and self-contained episodes, that tend to concentrate mostly on one or two characters in a confined space or situation, rather than grand, sweeping storylines involving multiple characters, locales, and episodes.

There haven't been many multi-episode story arcs in the second half of season two; it's character-development time. However, I suspect this will change soon, especially with Gaius's nuclear warhead in the hands of Number Six and Sharon's baby on the way...
DOD-MDK
QUOTE (Svein @ Feb 15 2006, 12:17 PM)
Is it me or has BG lost a bit of it's edge...  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's just not as captivating as the first series...

It's not bad, not bad at all...  Just not quite as superb as it was...

Just wait for "Pegasus" and "Resurection Ship parts I and II"
NiteFall
Was anyone else really freaked out by Starbuck finding the other women in the hospital hooked up to the Cylon machinery in last weeks episode?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.