Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Smoking Room
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Lauren
I keep missing this even though i've been dying to see what it's actually like, after hearing violently opposed reviews and opinions but I finally caught an episode last night and it's absoloutely great!

Expertly crafted 'broad strokes' kind of comedy, with some amazing one-liners.

Granted, there isn't mush of a plot to speak of, but the dialogue and character interaction is first class.

The cast is also fantastic, and i'm not really a fan of Robert Webb, but he really shines in it.

And Yes Billy, I'm fully expecting you to come on and say "I told you so" so don't bother wink.gif
ronlogan1977
I like it too. It's not the funniest thing ever but its engaging.
Jubei
Considering you only ever see the inside of the smoking room, i think its got tons of plot. The one with no lighthers... the one where it rains... etc.

I like it!
williambuckrogers
the star character has got to be the margaret meldrew-sounding one!
spacegurl
ive always wanted to watch this show but i can never see it on the tv listings. whens it on? huh.gif
Jubei
QUOTE (spacegurl @ Nov 17 2004, 01:09 PM)
ive always wanted to watch this show but i can never see it on the tv listings. whens it on?  huh.gif

?? huh.gif

I saw it a while ago on BBC3
williambuckrogers
Tuesdays, 10pm, bbc2! biggrin.gif
Stella MM
QUOTE (williambuckrogers @ Nov 17 2004, 01:03 PM)
the star character has got to be the margaret meldrew-sounding one!

She's the daughter of Annette Crosbie (i.e. Mrs Meldrew) - that's why she sounds just like her.

And Robert Webb is clearly the star.
williambuckrogers
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Nov 17 2004, 02:01 PM)
She's the daughter of Annette Crosbie (i.e. Mrs Meldrew) - that's why she sounds just like her.

And Robert Webb is clearly the star.

ah yes, that would explain it...

dont you find the robert webb character (ben?) a bit cliched and stunted, though?
fear_of_pop
I can't remember his name... Ben is the bloke in the post room.

Anyway, I didn't find robert webb's character cliched, I got quite involved. By the end of the series, when his storyline comes to a head, I nearly cried.
(there isn't an embarrassed smilie - please imagine one here. thanks.)
Stella MM
Well, I've only seen last night's one so I don't know how the character has developed, but I thought Webb's acting was brilliantly understated and natural. Particularly in comparison to Peep Show where the style is a bit more hammy and more obviously 'comedy'.

What's the character's backstory? I got the impression from last night's that he was either gay, or shagging someone else's girlfiend.
fear_of_pop
One of your impressions is correct!
spacegurl
sadly it clashes with teachers.. sad.gif
guess next tuesday ill have to set the video. smile.gif
Stella MM
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Nov 17 2004, 02:17 PM)
One of your impressions is correct!

Ah. So have I missed the backstory on terrestrial or are we gradually going to learn more about him?

QUOTE (spacegurl)
sadly it clashes with teachers.. 
guess next tuesday ill have to set the video.

I reckon you'd be better off abandoning Teachers altogether and switching over to this. Much much better comedy.
ronlogan1977
You'll have to watch the last episode. That guy who was in Star Wars is the best one in it. I can't resist a well timed expletive.
williambuckrogers
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Nov 17 2004, 02:15 PM)
I can't remember his name... Ben is the bloke in the post room.

QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Nov 17 2004, 02:36 PM)
That guy who was in Star Wars is the best one in it. I can't resist a well timed expletive.

IMDB to the rescue!! biggrin.gif
Baz
I always forget to tape this, as I'm watching Teachers at the time, like I keep on forgetting to watch the new series of Peep Show.

Damn my head! wacko.gif
Lauren
I think the Robert Webb Character is brilliant, lots of tiny clues without being brash or making anyone a victim. Nice.

I am slightly suspicious that Brian Dooley has based the character on himself though, or at least Robert Webb has based his performance on him, all the mannerisms are the same and everything.
fear_of_pop
Yeah, you probably haven't missed anything too big regarding backstory, watch the rest of the series, and robert webb's character gets more and more interesting.

ROBIN! His name's Robin...
wacko.gif
williambuckrogers
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Nov 17 2004, 03:40 PM)
regarding backstory

is that a euphemism?

wink.gif
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (williambuckrogers @ Nov 17 2004, 03:41 PM)
is that a euphemism?

wink.gif

ooh, it is from now on!
williambuckrogers
cool - i've never been one to miss things too big regarding backstory.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
GutsnGuns
I like the grumpy, sweary security guard. Probably because he was in Star Wars. (Still grumpy, less swearing: "We've analysed their attack my lord, and there is a risk.")
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.