Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Decent Comedy?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
CazBag
Can anyone recommend any decent comedy shows that are shown on terrestrial tv at the moment?

There appears to be very little showing on tv other than cheap naff (I'm being too polite here) reality tv programmes. I don't know how many production companies can make shows of how to buy a property, how to decorate a property and how to sell a property, from morning 'til night. Oh and how to sell all the junk you have in it too. Does anyone else feel my pain and frustration?!

Then again perhaps I shouldn't work from home and consider getting another job and launching my tv into a skip?!

C. wacko.gif
Jollyjaffaman
QUOTE (CazBag @ Nov 19 2004, 11:29 PM)
Can anyone recommend any decent comedy shows that are shown on terrestrial tv at the moment? 

There appears to be very little showing on tv other than cheap naff (I'm being too polite here) reality tv programmes.  I don't know how many production companies can make shows of how to buy a property, how to decorate a property and how to sell a property, from morning 'til night.  Oh and how to sell all the junk you have in it too.  Does anyone else feel my pain and frustration?!

Then again perhaps I shouldn't work from home and consider getting another job and launching my tv into a skip?!

C. wacko.gif

I've noticed that many home improvement shows are produced by a company known as Bazal. If the z fell forwards a strange thing happens. The word changes to BaNal. Mmmmmmmm.

Made me think anyway.

Onto the subject. I watched Peter Kay's new show this evening and I'm not sure yet. Some funny bits but not consistent enough. I'll give it another go next week.

JJM biggrin.gif
fear_of_pop
Mighty Boosh!
Wednesdays 7pm BBC2.
(except not this wed, cos of the fecking snooker).
Jon 79
The Smoking Room's pretty good.
BBC2. Not sure which night though.
OverTilt
I'm on my own I guess, because I actually quite like those "fix-up-the-delapitated-room" programs. Call me a moron, but that's the way it is. I can't help it.
Jollyjaffaman
QUOTE (OverTilt @ Nov 20 2004, 12:33 AM)
I'm on my own I guess, because I actually quite like those "fix-up-the-delapitated-room" programs. Call me a moron, but that's the way it is. I can't help it.

Fear not. Here, honesty is everything and individuality rules.

JJM biggrin.gif
spacegurl
everything is a matter of personal taste. you`re not a moron overtilt, stick to your views!

id reccomend teachers, monkey dust and peep show.
Baz
Just moving this to Media.

Baz. smile.gif
niamh
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Nov 20 2004, 12:20 AM)
Mighty Boosh!
Wednesdays 7pm BBC2.

i dont get the Mighty Boosh on BBC2... the bastards at BBC northern ireland thought we might enjoy an irish speaking show instead NOOOOO
criminal

anyway, the new series of peepshow definately and teachers is quite funny too even if none of the original cast are still in it
JamesLydon
Mmmmmmmnewmultiplequotingfeaturemmmmm...

QUOTE (Jollyjaffaman @ Nov 20 2004, 12:09 AM)
Onto the subject. I watched Peter Kay's new show this evening and I'm not sure yet. Some funny bits but not consistent enough. I'll give it another go next week.

JJM biggrin.gif

Max & Paddy = no... it's just too hack, although you do accidentally find yourself chuckling at it.

QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Nov 20 2004, 12:20 AM)
Mighty Boosh!
Wednesdays 7pm BBC2.

The Mighty Boosh = yes, yes and thriky yes! It's ubersurreal, which can put people off, and it genuinely is one of those shows that you have to 'get' (which terminology I dislike, but it is apt here).

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Nov 20 2004, 12:26 AM)
The Smoking Room's pretty good.
BBC2. Not sure which night though.

The Smoking Room = Yes! An undiscovered gem whilst it was on BBC Choice Three, which is slowly being de-undiscovered on terrestrial. Slow burning, lacking in originality in places, but very definitely rewards repeated attention.

QUOTE (spacegurl @ Nov 20 2004, 10:16 AM)
everything is a matter of personal taste. you`re not a moron overtilt, stick to your views!

id reccomend teachers, monkey dust and peep show.

Teachers = oh dear... Not a patch on the earlier three series, but still watchable, if only because of Lindsey and her commanding screen presence. The RE teacher is mildly cute too...

Monkey Dust = probably. Concept gets a bit tired after a while, but it is generally good for a laugh.

Peep Show = YES. Up with Green Wing for me as the outstanding comedic invention of the past 12-18 months. Totally worth the cost of the S1 DVD and also worth not going out on a Friday night so you can stay in to watch it... wink.gif

QUOTE (niamh @ Nov 20 2004, 05:39 PM)
teachers is quite funny too even if none of the original cast are still in it

Except for Bob, Claire, the office girls, etc... wink.gif

Honorable mention here must also go to Green Wing, which finished its run a couple of weeks back; you can download it at UKNova at the moment, if you do the whole bit torrent thang. smile.gif
philt
Can't believe no one has mentioned the Mark Steel Lectures. ohmy.gif

So I'll do it.

The Mark Steel Lectures

er should there be an "e" at the end of "Steel"

I can't remember
spacegurl
The Mark Steel Lectures

cant say ive seen this. whens it on?
superfurryandy
To answer Phil - there's no 'e' on the end.

To answer spacegurl - the new series is on BBC4 at some time - BBC2 did kindly show the first series over consecutive nights a coupla weeks ago.

To everyone, staying on the Mark Steel tip - he's one of the best satnd ups of the last 20 years, so if you get a chance to see him live, take it.

Finally, Max & Paddy is balls - makes you wonder who the real inspiration in the writing team for Phoenix Nights - no Spikey, no Fitzmaurice, no strokes of genius.
philt
Mark Steel - it's on BBC4 with repeats on BBC2

Details here

edit Cheers Andy
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (JamesLydon @ Nov 20 2004, 05:50 PM)
The RE teacher is mildly cute too...

He is the reason I watch it. I wub.gif him.
chivaknievel
did anyone ever watch 'We are history' a few years back on bbc 2?
it had marcus brigstocke in and was a spoof history show, a little like look around you but on history. It was brill
Biccy
I happened upon The Mighty Boosh last week and thought it was fantastic, this week's episode was great. Vince's snow outfit was excellent and I loved the rap they did. I can see I'm getting hooked. Oo better join the forum actually. Wonder if there's anyone on there that likes biscuits....
wherearethespoons
He's already been mentioned but Mark Steel is really great. The Lectures are superb. I learn things while laughing. Brilliant.

Also The Mighty Boosh is well worth a look. I describe it as a cross between The Simpsons and Chuckvision though that's probably just me.

Max and Paddy is terrible. I've never cringed at something more. The pathetic situations, the need for explaining plots to the viewer - it's all rubbish. Peter Kay - my arse.
wherearethespoons
QUOTE (chivaknievel @ Nov 20 2004, 11:23 PM)
did anyone ever watch 'We are history' a few years back on bbc 2?
it had marcus brigstocke in and was a spoof history show, a little like look around you but on history. It was brill

That was very good. Again I was learning while laughing. Marcus is a funny man. I've always liked him but then he appeared in a Simon Nye sitcom and I kind of felt annoyed. But work is work. He did some great radio stuff, more info at: http://www.marcusbrigstocke.com/
fear_of_pop
Another good description of The Mighty Boosh is a Mr. Benn for adults!
Lauren
QUOTE (Biccy @ Nov 21 2004, 10:32 AM)
I happened upon The Mighty Boosh last week and thought it was fantastic, this week's episode was great. Vince's snow outfit was excellent and I loved the rap they did. I can see I'm getting hooked. Oo better join the forum actually. Wonder if there's anyone on there that likes biscuits....

there are lots of people that like biscuits at the forum on www.thebooshisloose.co.uk wink.gif

[/shamelessselfpromotion]
Lauren
QUOTE (wherearethespoons @ Nov 21 2004, 07:23 PM)
That was very good. Again I was learning while laughing. Marcus is a funny man. I've always liked him but then he appeared in a Simon Nye sitcom and I kind of felt annoyed. But work is work. He did some great radio stuff, more info at: http://www.marcusbrigstocke.com/

Marcus is an absoloute genius, hsi Rants on The Now show are the highlight of my week, in all honesty. Though with the Now show it really does benefit from ebing there and Marcus' tangents that get cut are often better than the rant in the show (His Streets rant should have been broadcast, DAMMIT!).

As for the Savages... he is a self confesstd Slut, hence doing it, but notice how Marcus got all the flack for it ebing poo. Nye and the rest have all gone on to do far better than Marcus and haven't had it dragged up in itnerviews. Marcus on the other hand, can't seem to shake the albatross.

In short, eh is fantastic and if he plays a club near you, make it your business to be there.

Oh, and look in the press section ot Marcus' website...
Kick in the Head
While I'm enjoying The Mighty Boosh, its not hilarious. Just kind of 'smile-comedy'. Strangely, its humour feels most in the vein of Rex the Runt, the supoib Aardman series that has failed to get a DVD release for both excellent series (one is available on video, while its oddly available on DVD in Canada, both series).

I'd second Peep Show, while I tend to agree with the consenus on Max and Paddy. While I keep watching, it only has a couple of 'moments' in each show, while Peep Show is filled with greatness.

I also enjoy We Are History and the Mark Steel Lectures and Monkey Dust. And to think the next series of Look Around You is just around the corner as well.
Jollyjaffaman
Finally caught up with 'The Smoking Room' last night. I'm not too sure about this one. Some funny stuff but it's not consistant enough. There were also some real groaner gags in there and obvious plot gags.

Spaced is a benchmark.......it's making me too critical! Aaaaaargh!

JJM biggrin.gif
CazBag
Thanks all for your recommendations. Gonna get tracking these shows down now.

Anyone know when the second series of Look Around You will be entertaining us?
rabbit57i
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Nov 20 2004, 03:18 PM)
Finally, Max & Paddy is balls - makes you wonder who the real inspiration in the writing team for Phoenix Nights - no Spikey, no Fitzmaurice, no strokes of genius.

Dave Spikey's Newest Show. This sounds like it could be good.
The Phantom
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Dec 16 2004, 03:41 PM)
Dave Spikey's Newest Show. This sounds like it could be good.

Reading about his new show it sounds like 'Brush Strokes' with that guy who now does the Flash adverst Carl Howman is it ??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.