Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firefly
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Raven
Anyone eagerly awaiting the release of the Firefly movie Serenity will be disapointed to hear that the US release has been pushed back five months to September 2005.

You can read more about the reasons here.
Jollyjaffaman
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 23 2004, 01:25 PM)
Anyone eagerly awaiting the release of the Firefly movie Serenity will be disapointed to hear that the US release has been pushed back five months to September 2005.

Excuse the ignorance...but what's this all about then? Any background info?

JJM biggrin.gif
Astrid
Firefly was the Joss Whedon show that got cancelled.
I'm a huge Buffy and Angel fan but never got round to watching it. Looking forward to seeing the movie though. biggrin.gif
Jollyjaffaman
QUOTE (Astrid @ Nov 23 2004, 01:46 PM)
I'm a huge Buffy and Angel fan but never got round to watching it.  Looking forward to seeing the movie though.  biggrin.gif

I'm enlightened. Many thanks.

JJM biggrin.gif
holly
yeh i heard about the film, i so wanna see it! apparantly hes given up tv for good now,

gosh its been months and months and months but i *do* miss buffy sad.gif
ella
QUOTE (Astrid @ Nov 23 2004, 01:46 PM)
I'm a huge Buffy and Angel fan but never got round to watching it.  Looking forward to seeing the movie though.  biggrin.gif

Go out now and buy the series on DVD. Now, down to local DVD shoppe and buy. It is very, very good. More adult that either Buffy or Angel, but I thought that it was extremely well done. And sadly cut short. Joss Whedon deserves a medal for his lovely contributions to my DVD collection.
whitey
boo. hiss.
any word on whedon's rumoured X3 attachments yet?
philt
Hurrah - doesn't matter how good or how bad it'll it I can imagine 6 months saturation coverage in SFX culminating in a 5 Star Review...

Well Buffy did change everything after all huh.gif

(like feck it did)
Raven
Firefly novels on the way.
Rob Wells
QUOTE (Jollyjaffaman @ Nov 23 2004, 02:33 PM)
Excuse the ignorance...but what's this all about then? Any background info?

JJM biggrin.gif

Just as well you didn't ask me. laugh.gif
Raven
Looks like we could have the first in a trilogy on our hands . . .

Firefly Three smile.gif
Zoe
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 23 2004, 01:25 PM)

What what whaaaat?!

I am now very sad which is unfortunate, as I'm about to go for the work Christmas dinner. How shall I explain my sci-fi sadness to friends and colleagues?

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand...
Zoe
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 16 2004, 01:27 PM)
Looks like we could have the first in a trilogy on our hands . . .

Firefly Three smile.gif

Should have read the whole thread hey? I'm happy and festive once more.

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the skies from me!
whitey
well then I guess we have to make sure the first one is a hit.
start lending out your DVDs folks.
Raven
Or buying them wink.gif
Raven
Got my box set just before Christmas but it took me until last weekend to start watching it and all I can say is I'm gutted this didn't carry on as a series because it is the mutt's nuts!

Okay, a film will be good - although I'm guessing it will be straight to DVD in the UK - but an on-going series would have been sooooo much better . . .

Fox just don't seem to understand when they have an excellent show on their hands . . . [see Futurama also] sad.gif
whitey
Yeah, I rewatched the whole thing a few weeks ago and found myself getting all teary eyed about it's cancellation, something I haven't ever done with a TV show. I was pissed off about Futurama but 74 episodes is pretty good going. Firefly only got a measly 14... And it had so much only partially fulfilled potential. Bastards.
Raven
It's certainly one of the best sci-fi series of recent years. How mediocre shows like Andromeda can keep getting renewed when real gems like Firefly get cancelled is beyond me . . . wacko.gif
ipse dixit
I consider myself a Whedonlover but I've only seen a couple of episodes of Firefly. Seems good though, they are/were running on the Sci Fi channel...
true believer
Is there a law somewhere that says that a shows longevity is in inverse proportion to its quality? Maybe it's the intelligence of Firefly that alienated viewers - it had a slow pace, morally ambivalent characters and resolutions that didn't come stright out of the big Star Trek book of cliches. No wonder the morons at TV control didn't get it.

It reminds me of a time I had a burger in Wendy's - when such things existed. Remember they used pute beef in the burgers? Tasted fantastic. And one woman behind me bit into hers, grimaced and said 'it's not a real burger - like Macdonalds.' If you feed people shit long enough then they fail to understand anything which isn't shit.

Lets hope the film renews interest. It's amazing that all the actors are still around.
Hordak
Alas, it's always sad when a quality show like Firefly is canned yet crap like 'The Simple Life' or 'Average Joe' is renewed time after time after time...

...same goes for Angel. I was so pissed off when the WB axed it... the b******s!
whitey
QUOTE (true believer @ Jan 17 2005, 03:23 PM)
and resolutions that didn't come stright out of the big Star Trek book of cliches.

careful...
true believer
Oh come on! When did a Trek captain ever stride onto the ship, shoot the bad guy in the head without a second thought and go get a sandwich? One of the reasons the show got cancelled was that Malc wasn't 'Kirk' enough. One of the guiding principles of TV production is to give people what they've had before - hence the fact that Enterprise keeps getting made despite pitiful reviews.

Should point out that I don't dislike Trek as such - except Voyager which was bollocks - but it does irritate that something as innovative as Firefly gets cancelled when far less creative fare continues to plod on, simply because of an imagined demographic.
widowspider
i. love. firefly.

had heard of it from american friends before, but it didn't even register in the UK. however, the people i am housesitting for in new york have the dvd box set, and i watched the whole lot in one sitting.
it is utter, utter sublime genius. i wasn't a huge buffy or angel fan, but this show blew my mind. just so good. i will be purchasing it so that i can continue to obsessively watch it when i get home. i'm so excited about the film!
Raven
I've been re-watching it over the last couple of weeks - it's very well put together, it's just a pity they never really got into an on-going story line like Angel/Buffy.

Still, at least we have Serenity to look forward to in the autumn!
widowspider
woohoo for serenity!
however, i saw a cast pic and book and inara weren't in it. they are in the film as part of the crew, aren't they?
Zoe
QUOTE (widowspider @ Feb 3 2005, 03:26 PM)
woohoo for serenity!
however, i saw a cast pic and book and inara weren't in it. they are in the film as part of the crew, aren't they?

Was that in Total Film (or was it Empire - one or the other anyway)? I thought that but no worries, according to the almighty IMDB the gang's all here.
spacedog
Last I heard they are in the movie but no longer as part of the Serenity crew.
Raven
QUOTE (spacedog @ Feb 3 2005, 03:30 PM)
Last I heard they are in the movie but no longer as part of the Serenity crew.

I thought that was Simon and River, not Inara . . . huh.gif
widowspider
i saw a cast pic on the browncoats forum, it had simon and river in it but not book and inara. and if they aren't on the ship i'll be most pissed off. the dynamics of that group were so fantastic!
whitey
QUOTE (widowspider @ Feb 2 2005, 07:23 PM)
however, the people i am housesitting for in new york have the dvd box set

housesitting in new york? how the fuck did you land that gig?

also, I think we can trust Mr. Whedon to not fuck this up. The way he talks about it he's as in love with the show as we are.
widowspider
ah, well i am here for a real reason. i'm auditioning for a place at one of three universities to do a masters in acting. i needed somewhere to live for a month, and so emailed all my friends out here (i've lived here before) and my friend anni got back to me. she and her boyfriend have gone to japan for a month and so it worked out pretty well. i got my own place, they got someone to get their mail and keep the place clean. good thing i was here, too, as they started getting this mammoth leak from their ceiling and the landlord had to come and put a hole in the ceiling to fix it.
still, i can't complain.
whitey
New York, Japan... Your lives are different to mine.
doubleshiny
I've seen Serenity, it's the best sci-fi film I've seen in about ten years, and it will blow you away.

Inara and Book are not in the cast picture because when the film starts they're no longer on the ship. But they are in the movie.
Zoe
QUOTE (doubleshiny @ Feb 22 2005, 03:33 PM)
I've seen Serenity, it's the best sci-fi film I've seen in about ten years, and it will blow you away.

Inara and Book are not in the cast picture because when the film starts they're no longer on the ship. But they are in the movie.

What, how, when??

*Rubs eyes in disbelief*
whitey

If you spoil it for me I will find you and stab you in the face with a bit of glass.
doubleshiny
QUOTE (whitey @ Feb 22 2005, 03:36 PM)
If you spoil it for me I will find you and stab you in the face with a bit of glass.

Yes, I've had similar threats. Yours has good imagery though.

I'm going to a Firefly convention in April, and whilst that fact would usually relegate me to the dregs of society, on this occasion I got the chance to go to a preview screening of Serenity a couple of weeks ago at Bafta in London.

It's just none stop, it's brilliant, and there's not much more I can say about it, but it's well worth the wait.
whitey
One thing: how long was it?
doubleshiny
QUOTE (whitey @ Feb 22 2005, 03:43 PM)
One thing: how long was it?

It was two hours, but I don't know whether they'll cut anything.
Raven
I've seen Serenity . . .

You only have fourteen posts and I hate you already . . . tongue.gif
whitey
QUOTE (doubleshiny @ Feb 22 2005, 03:56 PM)
It was two hours, but I don't know whether they'll cut anything.

I read somewhere that Whedon had written about five hours worth of script. I hope we get an extended DVD edition.
Raven
QUOTE (whitey @ Feb 22 2005, 06:32 PM)
I read somewhere that Whedon had written about five hours worth of script. I hope we get an extended DVD edition.

Though not a straight to DVD edition . .
doubleshiny
I don't think there's much chance of straight to video, IF the genre people give it a chance. When I saw it, the audience was mostly made up of fans, so of course they loved it, but there were a few ( about 20) people there who had never seen Firefly and ALL of them were raving about how brilliant they thought it was, and how they were going to go straight out and buy the DVD of the series.

So, as long as people will give it a chance, I think it could do well enough for Universal to greenlight the promised sequels.

PS Reavers, brrrr....Nasty.
Raven
QUOTE (doubleshiny @ Feb 24 2005, 01:33 PM)

Shut up! tongue.gif
whitey
QUOTE (doubleshiny @ Feb 24 2005, 01:33 PM)

I have glass! I have glass goddammit!
doubleshiny
QUOTE (whitey @ Feb 24 2005, 04:16 PM)
I have glass! I have glass goddammit!

huh.gif You didn't know Reavers were nasty? happy.gif
prairiedawn
Ok so I guess I'm way behind with the whole Firefly thing but I've only just got around to seeing the series, and I have to say, I love it. It's funny, smart, dramatic, and makes you think with its moral ambiguity. I can't believe it's taken me so long to get around to seeing this, and it makes me sad to realise this innovative show was cancelled after only 14 episodes. Still, now I'm looking forward to the movie, and any that follows. I'm hoping that the movie does well and Fox decides to renew the show but... ahh it's just wishful thinking wink.gif
widowspider
i'm so excited, i'm so excited! it's going to rock, AND we get to see nathan fillipon, alan tudyk and sean maher on the big screen wub.gif soo many good films to look forward to this year.
Raven
I don't think Firefly will ever come back as a TV series again - Whedon is aiming for a movie trilogy I believe.
whitey
Well, as I understand it, if he wants to revive it as TV show it would have to be through Fox as they own the telly rights for the next ten years but Whedon is naturally very reluctant to work with a network that has fucked him over so badly. I wonder what the word would be on a DVD series? Japan has a huge market for anime and films produced specifically for video (Miike made his name doing them and still does em, and Evangelion is one of the bigger success stories) and I see no reason why that wouldn't work in other countries.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.