Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favourite stand up
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
superfurryandy
So yeah - been done before, but with new people and the capacity for more choices, let's do it again - I've tried to do a broad cross section of old & new comics, and there's always the ubiquitous 'Other'.

Vote now, and give your reasons.

Please.
Stella MM
I've voted for Ross Noble. He's not my favourite comedian of all time but I've not seen that much actual proper stand-up and his was the show that made me really ache with laughter.

Apart from him, I'd have to say Lee & Herring even though I can't remember what their stand-up was like any more.
wherearethespoons
The more I watch Sean Lock the more I enjoy his absurd and dry style. Great stuff, he never has to get into a rant about politics and the like but his performances on Have I Got News For You prove he easily could.

I'm also pretty fond of Billy Bailey who has a decent mix of things going on. Lee Evans is a superb physical comedian and is good with accents and that.

I voted other for Sean Lock.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the young Matt Blaize. He is fantastic!
tigerlily
I'd probably have to go for Kitson. Seeing him at the Fringe, even with a stinking cold made me hurt, he was so good.

Eddie Izzard used to be my favourite - but he tends to recycle too much now. The "film" "career" has definitely been detrimental to his comedy. And maybe I'm just used to it now. Bill Bailey is always good to see, but again recycles a bit. Adam Hills is lovely, lovely, lovely and I'd like him in a cuddly teddy form, but Kitson just edges it.
superfurryandy
I knew I'd miss decent people off - Sean Lock is very, very good - never seen Stewart Lee live, but his Fringe show was universally bigged up by the crits.

I tend to fluctuate, but my current fave is definitely Kitson (hence avatar) - as Tigerlily said, even with a heavy cold (and his constant demands for hot drinks), his fringe show this year was sublime, and he overran by half an hour - bonus!

I tend to favour comedians who can think on their feet and banter with the audience - people like Kitson, Rich Hall, Noble, Vegas, Merton - no two shows are the same with these masters of their art. Of the more 'setbound' acts, I'd go for either Hills or Burns - respectively, nice and nasty Aussies.

Edit: And a special mention for Mr Bill Hicks - all governments are liars and murderers.
Stella MM
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Dec 3 2004, 11:54 AM)
I knew I'd miss decent people off - Sean Lock is very, very good - never seen Stewart Lee live, but his Fringe show was universally bigged up by the crits.

I've seen Stewart Lee do solo stuff live and it wasn't a patch on Lee & Herring. Very meandering and he did a whole routine about his grandad dying that was a little too uncomfortable for my liking. Though to be fair, it was a tiny trying-out-ideas-for-Edinburgh show so it probably isn't fair to compare it to a proper fully rehearsed L&H show.
tigerlily
Saw Stewart Lee at the Fringe and he was good, but I couldn't say he was fantastic (party poppers and badges aside!). I wouldn't say it was anything out of the ordinary, apart from it being Stewart Lee.

Danny Bhoy was a pleasant surprise when we saw him. His set seemed quite loose and unconnected - but when he reached the end you realised that it was, in fact, tightly structured and all linked up together. Which was quite a nice wee surprise. He always seems to be popular, but never anyone's favourite, I guess just because he's quite safe. But there's always a place for safe comedy in the genre.
rebelstar
I really enjoyed Stewart Lee's show this year - it was very...Stewart Lee.

I'm finding it hard to decide even if I only choose people on the list, which discounts Dylan Moran and Tommy Tiernan among others - shame on you Andrew wink.gif (and would Mark Thomas count as 'standup' because he's fucking funny).
superfurryandy
I would include him as he still uses the 'tricks' of a stand up to draw his audience in - also Mark Steel and Jeremy Hardy - the holy trinity of left wing comedy - they all prove that you can be both deeply political and trouser splittingly hilarious.

You know what I've done - in an effort to be inclusive and not just put my own particular favourites in, I've left too many goodun's off the list.
williambuckrogers
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Dec 3 2004, 11:32 AM)
Vote now, and give your reasons.

Please.

kitson.

~pushes imaginary specs up nose~

y'cunt.
Lauren
Surely Dave Gorman doesn't class as stand-up anymore!?

I have too many favorites at the moment but virtually none of them are on your list... they would be

Noel Fielding
Stewart Lee
Andrew Maxwell
Marcus Brigstocke
Mitch Benn
Simon (Mc)Farnaby
Lee Mack
Sean Lock
Rob Rouse
the Mighty Simon Munnery
superfurryandy
Hmm - I think Gorman would fall into the same category as Mark Thomas - they've used their innate stand up skills in order to move into new directions - as I said, with that list I've tried to present a broad spectrum of stand up present and not too distant past (I don't want people thinking I actually like Lee Evans or Jo Brand), bur even with the increased capapcity for poll choices, you can't fit everyone in. I did consider including B*n *lt*n but I didn't want the forum to be submerged in vomit
whitey
I love Richard Pryor. Even when he's not funny (which isn't often) he's captivating.
Voted Pryor but if not him then Hicks.

I stood behind Stewart Lee in a crowd at Glastonbury in 95. He was pissed out of his face, sunburnt and pretty fat. I kicked him and he didn't notice.
nemasis_of_the_vole
i picked ross noble as i love his style and randomness and the way he sees life. also he reminds me of bill bailey but more weirder. i love bill bailey too but my vote goes for ross smile.gif
Chez x x x
niamh
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Dec 3 2004, 11:39 AM)
I've voted for Ross Noble. He's not my favourite comedian of all time but I've not seen that much actual proper stand-up and his was the show that made me really ache with laughter.

Apart from him, I'd have to say Lee & Herring even though I can't remember what their stand-up was like any more.

i voted for Ross Noble too, i saw him on Halloween and i felt ill because i was laughing so much. He talked about plums and a plum hotline. He's very VERY funny man and i really think you have to see him live to fully appreciate his comedy.
His improvisation skills are beyond comprehension, i was in shock after the 3 hours he stood there rambling about stuff that somehow was really funny.

Eddie Izzard is another favourite but not his recent stuff, Dressed to Kill was fantastic, after that it just got more and more unfunny.
Damn i have to get Dressed to Kill on dvd, our VHS copy was eaten by the video recorder *sob*
spacegurl
does anyone remember dave allen? i used to watch him all the time when i was little.
philt
John (aka Jonny) Cooper huh.gif
skip 2 the end
Pft. Lee Evans blatantly owns all.

And where the F*** is Jack Dee!!
pots
yeah all very good comics but i still love harry hill
Lauren
BTW, speakign of Ross noble, Has anyone got his new DVD?

It's ruddy fantastic and is the most value for money of any DVD i've ever seen.

For the price of one DVD you get:

**two dvds allegedly of the same show but at different ends of the tour, but only one subject is touched on in both sets and in completely different ways

**Commentaries on both shows which, with Ross, ends up being like another show in itself

**a damn funny trivia track

**the easter egg unlocks a whole other menu of bounteous wonders such as rare clips

That's not even all of it, i've just forgotten stuff, all in all, there's enough stuff on there for the Lord of the rings guys to charge you £40 quid for but is Ross asking £40? No. £15. He's just giving it away

oh, and it's funny too wink.gif
ronlogan1977
Honourable mention to Dylan Moran. I nearly pissed mself laughing when I saw him a few years ago. Weirdly I can't remember a thing he said.
Voted for Billy Connolly though. He's the daddy.
Katy
Bill Hicks

Eddie Izzard

Billy Connolly

Dylan Moran

Bill Bailey

(In, vaguely, that order.)
Ade
I voted for the Big Yin.

I know he has gone a little off the boil in the last few years,
and came in for a lot of criticism over material in his recent
tour, but I've been a devoted fan since 1987.

Went to see him in concert for the very first time in 1994,
and laughed until the back of my head and my sides ached. happy.gif

A close second is the mighty Bill Hicks, for his sheer ballsiness,
taboo-breaking material, and total courage of his convictions.

The surreal brainworkings of Bill Bailey run a very, very close third.

All Bills....hmmm, interesting.

But I also really love Dave Gorman's style of 'stand up' comedy;
the unconventional lecture/discussion/presentation format really
appealed to me when I first saw 'Better World', and I have been
hooked ever since. A brilliant comedic storyteller.
ronlogan1977
I'm a big fan of Boothby Graffoe. He's on Radio 4 from time to time.
Zoe
I saw Ross Noble doing a warm up gig in a small venue prior to his last tour. Very dissapointing. I thought 'Ross Noble goes Global' was hysterical and loved him on 'Room 101', but his stand-up just wasn't that funny. There was a lot of absurdity for the sake of absurdity and his wife was the most obvious plant in an audience I've ever seen - and the joke she set up wasn't even very good.

I prefer him just being himself on the TV or meandering around the world on the radio, stand up's not the best medium for him I suspect.
superfurryandy
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Dec 4 2004, 02:26 PM)
I'm a big fan of Boothby Graffoe. He's on Radio 4 from time to time.

Boothby is indeed a very funny man.

They only take him out when it's raining
Poor umbrella-head boy

stand up's not the best medium for him I suspect.

Sorry Zoe, but I had to rub my eyes in disbelief when I read this - stand up is the medium for him, that's how he's made his name, by gigging constantly - I've seen him around a dozen times and he's never been less than hilarious. Having said that, when his recorded live show was on telly recently, I was most disappointed which goes to show that he can have off nights.

Or it could just be that we have different opinions.

But mine's right. wink.gif
Zoe
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Dec 4 2004, 03:12 PM)
Sorry Zoe, but I had to rub my eyes in disbelief when I read this - stand up is the medium for him, that's how he's made his name, by gigging constantly - I've seen him around a dozen times and he's never been less than hilarious.  Having said that, when his recorded live show was on telly recently, I was most disappointed which goes to show that he can have off nights.

I know stand-up is how he made his name, but I still don't think it's how he comes across best (in my experience).

Don't get me wrong his stand-up wasn't terrible (I've seen far far worse) but I was expecting a lot and he just didn't deliver - though to be fair to him it was a warm up gig for the last tour.

The sections on 'Ross Noble goes Global' where he's just wandering around the various cities he's visiting and describing his experiences were always much funnier than the intercut pieces of stand-up in that country.
wherearethespoons
Just thought I'd join in this ol' Ross Noble chat. I have to say I've never found him particularly funny though I've never actually seen him live. I've seen the 'live' stuff on TV but I didn't enjoy it - I heard it's better when you're there. He does seem to just go off into ridiculous situations, which I usually love when itís done in a funny way. He's said some good things on Have I Got News For You mind.
Melll
I voted for Randy Pan The Goatboy.
bagpuss
This is just an observation not a criticism but isn't the lack of female stand ups mentioned on this thread a little worrying.Oh what ever happened Dawn French,Jennifer Saunders and Jo Brand? Were you really our only hope?
superfurryandy
QUOTE (bagpuss @ Dec 5 2004, 12:28 PM)
This is just an observation not a criticism but isn't the lack of female stand ups mentioned on this thread a little worrying.Oh what ever happened Dawn French,Jennifer Saunders and Jo Brand? Were you really our only hope?

Jo Brand's on the list, or at least she was when I typed. She was funny for about 5 minutes, then she just kept repeating the same material ad nauseum and still does to this day. French & Saunders were never really stand up in my book, and they're not funny either.

You have made a good point, though, and one that has been discussed over at Chortle where the point is made that on a standard comedy bill of, say 5/6 acts, you'll never find more than one woman.
Zoe
Well in the spirit of sisterhood let me just say that Natalie Haynes was one of the best things I saw at this year's Edinburgh Festival and certainly the best in the conventional stand-up mode.
superfurryandy
I've always found Sarah Kendall very funny, and Mary Bourke is good an all.
Lauren
Lucy Porter... and Shoppi Korsandi.. and emma kennedy... and up and coming Newcomer Lisa Egan are very funny ladies
Zoe
Did anyone see 'The Consultants' this year? If ever three men are ready for a TV show it's those boys. It was so professionally done it was practically already a TV show.
bagpuss
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Dec 5 2004, 01:37 PM)
Jo Brand's on the list, or at least she was when I typed.  She was funny for about 5 minutes, then she just kept repeating the same material ad nauseum and still does to this day.  French & Saunders were never really stand up in my book, and they're not funny either.

My point exactly!
Katy
Comedy is man's work.
whitey
Just to add my two pence to a discussion we appear to have already moved on from, I hate Ross Noble. I think he's shit.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Lauren @ Dec 3 2004, 10:54 PM)
BTW, speakign of Ross noble, Has anyone got his new DVD?

It's ruddy fantastic and is the most value for money of any DVD i've ever seen.

I'm slightly curious about this....which DVD is the new one?
Ohio_is_for_lovers
Coool adam and joe avatar, newhoo, i get so confused with stand ups, i see so many good ones on general tv shows, but i forget their names, i do quite like jack dee and ross noble, but i cant remember that other guy, tis totally cool though:D
Jollyjaffaman
I voted for other since ricky gervais was not on the list. Have you seen 'Animals' on DVD? Hillarious.

JJM biggrin.gif
williambuckrogers
QUOTE (whitey @ Dec 5 2004, 04:15 PM)
Just to add my two pence to a discussion we appear to have already moved on from, I hate Ross Noble. I think he's shit.

nice shotgun approach to posting in a discussion thread. like a child in whsmith, telling his mum for the first time that he really doesn't like harry potter...

why exactly don't you like Ross Noble?
whitey
QUOTE (williambuckrogers @ Dec 7 2004, 09:54 AM)
nice shotgun approach to posting in a discussion thread. like a child in whsmith, telling his mum for the first time that he really doesn't like harry potter...
why exactly don't you like Ross Noble?

I find him less than remotely funny. I'll admit that he appears to be trying ever so hard but it's all just coming out shit. Like a drunk student who thinks he's a comedian.
Rob Wells
QUOTE (Jollyjaffaman @ Dec 6 2004, 11:01 PM)
I voted for other since ricky gervais was not on the list. Have you seen 'Animals' on DVD? Hillarious.
JJM biggrin.gif

Haven't seen Animals, but I have Pink Floyd Live in Pompeii which is cool.
Lauren
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Dec 6 2004, 06:58 PM)
I'm slightly curious about this....which DVD is the new one?

Unrealtime
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Lauren @ Dec 7 2004, 10:44 AM)
Unrealtime

Danke!
whitey
I really wanted to go and see Bill Hicks on his last tour of England. He was playing the Royal Exchange in Manchester but my mum wouldn't let me go because the show started at midnight and I was only thirteen. Then he died. I will never forgive her.
nemasis_of_the_vole
why is it that female comedians have to always bang on about womens issues? am i the only one who thinks that is really boring!? i really want to see a female version of bill bailey or ross noble. so far 2 comediennes who i adore, thats excluding jessica, and thats Julia Davis (Nighty Night, Jam etc) and Linda Smith (does the comedy store alot with Paul Merton)
Chez x x x
williambuckrogers
QUOTE (nemasis_of_the_vole @ Dec 10 2004, 01:22 PM)
i really want to see a female version of bill bailey

surely bill bailey is simply a male version of Victoria Wood...
superfurryandy
...with a shorter beard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.