Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Dwarf
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
The Good Chap
If your here, reading this then it's fair to say your a fan of BBC's cult sci-fi comedy. If not you were probably miss led into believing that this is the thread about people of a dimminuitive size painted red (or perhaps red in the face from some sort of physical exertion) either way try the silly thread.

Still here. Good. Let smeg begin.

Thought I'd start this up as thier was a (relatively) popular thread (I do meen relatively) about Red Dwarf. More concerning The filem which as far as I'm aware has since stalled for reasons beyond my comprehension. All I do know is this:

*The film is set POST series 8 and is not a remake of the first series or adaption of the first book.

*All the cast are set to return including Mac McDonald as Captian Hollister.

*The plot follows the Simulant race on the hunt of the Dwarfers as they are the last remaining humans after a Simulant attacks wipes out Earth and the rest of humanity.

*The script was written by Doug Naylor (with help from Ed Bye and Paul "S-club 7/Red Dwarf 8" Alexander)

*The finished film may also feature a scene that was left out from the end of RD8 were the Red Dwarf crashes into the Earth gutting a huge warped smiley face in it's surface and destroying several landmarks (the white house and the Taj Mahal were mentioned). Leaving Rimmer exchanging insurance details several insurance companies.

So Dwarf, Smeg and all. Discuss!
ronlogan1977
I'm not too sure that a Red Dwarf movie would be very good on the evidence of the last 2 series. Series 7 wasn't very funny and Series 8 didn't make much sense.
I've been getting the DVD's and they're quality but I suspect I'll only be getting 7 and 8 to make the collection look pretty.
SuperSaiyanStoner
it was pub banter but i heard that the R.D film is going to be the biggest budget brittish film to date.I realy hope that doesnt mean they replace all the model ships with cgi ones, because i recon the models will look a lot better!

*The film is set POST series 8

why why why??!!! Everyone knows red dwarfs quality seriously declined after rimmer left, then kochanski came back to replace him, then the whole red dwarf crew came back.i mean what were they thinking?

Bought series 5 on dvd recently, v funny biggrin.gif
Stella MM
Series 5 was its zenith. But alas, it can never go back to that.

Did anyone here actually like the 7th and 8th series?

I'm a bit worried that they'll spend too much time and money on the CGI and not enough on the jokes - which is what 7 and 8 were missing, frankly.
SuperSaiyanStoner
Series 5 was its zenith. But alas, it can never go back to that. Did anyone here actually like the 7th and 8th series?I'm a bit worried that they'll spend too much time and money on the CGI and not enough on the jokes - which is what 7 and 8 were missing, frankly.

I couldnt agree more!

I know exactly what you mean about the 7th and 8th series aswell, they just wernt worth watching!I mean whats better. watching cat dance with some CGI robots or having a dialogue gag like "Theyve taken mr rimmer, SIR THEYVE TAKEN MR RIMMER"
"Quick lets get out of here befroe they bring him back!"

Series 7 and 8 are a dark page in the red dwarf history, which is why i was dishartned to hear the film will be post series 8.
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Dec 13 2004, 01:40 PM)
Did anyone here actually like the 7th and 8th series?

I read somewhere that they only made the last two series so that they would have enough episodes to sell 'on syndication' in the States. This would explain why the cast and crew seem to be merely going through the motions in the later episodes.

I gave up watching Red Dwarf regularly shortly after the beginning of series 7, and saw series 8 for the first time a few months ago, when it was repeated on satellite. I hadn't missed much.
Stella MM
QUOTE (SuperSaiyanStoner @ Dec 13 2004, 02:16 PM)
I know exactly what you mean about the 7th and 8th series aswell, they just wernt worth watching!I mean whats better. watching cat dance with some CGI robots or having a dialogue gag like "Theyve taken mr rimmer, SIR THEYVE TAKEN MR RIMMER"
"Quick lets get out of here befroe they bring him back!"

Exactly. It seemed like the writers (or was it writer?) suddenly realised after seven series that they'd set it in space and they'd better shoehorn some techie, futuristic crap in.

The point of Red Dwarf wasn't that it was a space comedy - it was a lack of space comedy (d'yer see what I did there?). Stick four grown men (ish) in a confined area and watch them wind eachother up with hilarious results. They lost sight of that in the later series, I think.
fear_of_pop
Yes, all they'd have to do is get rid of that lame actress who played Kochanski in the later series' and it would have a chance of being good.
superfurryandy
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Dec 13 2004, 02:27 PM)
I read somewhere that they only made the last two series so that they would have enough episodes to sell 'on syndication' in the States.

Yup - they had to boost the total number of eps above 50 or summat.

The films gonna be shit, without a doubt - once Rob Grant left it all went downhill.
Jon 79
I was a Dwarf fan for years.

The red dwarf movie will be cool.
Why? cos it's a movie & it's red dwarf.
It will be better than series 7 & 8 combined.
It can NOT be better than series' 2 - 5.

The movie is delayed because they can't find anyone to fund it.
check out the Dougs Naylor statement here. (bottom of page)
SuperSaiyanStoner
It will be better than series 7 & 8 combined.

i hope so........i hope so!
SuperSaiyanStoner
i think a lot of it will depend on why they are making it.

If they are making it because they have more ideas, but dont want to do another series then it could be ok.But lets just hope they arent making it because everything seems to have a film nowerdays and they think there is some money to be made.

(i use the word they quite liberaly, i just refer to whoever is in controll)
Jon 79
QUOTE (SuperSaiyanStoner @ Dec 13 2004, 03:43 PM)
i think a lot of it will depend on why they are making it.

If they are making it because they have more ideas, but dont want to do another series then it could be ok.But lets just hope they arent making it because everything seems to have a film nowerdays and they think there is some money to be made.

(i use the word they quite liberaly, i just refer to whoever is in controll)

I think they are making a film because They want to.
If it were me, I'd love to make a movie.
innercitysumo
The show itself was great from I-VI...all the episodes were good and the show didn't fall down to the trap of 'can they pull it off a third/fourth/fifth/sixth time?' as many shows have. Series VII was a BIG disappointment and whereas VIII had some funny lines, the quality of the show had lessened greatly. This is probably down to Rob Grant leaving. Backwards is a better book than Last Human, so maybe he was always the better one comedywise.
whitey
I thought it went shit after series 3.
superfurryandy
QUOTE (whitey @ Dec 13 2004, 06:15 PM)

It started going downhill after series three, but the real decline set in after S5/6.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (whitey @ Dec 13 2004, 01:15 PM)

I have to agree here...well, not shit exactly. But I thought the middle series were a bit ...not great. I like the later series more than most folks. While the writing etc etc may not have been up there, I felt that it was more like the earlier series in that there was more dialogue & relationships & less wacky adventures. (of course it's been awhile since I've seen them).
The Good Chap
I remeber all the earliest rumours about the movie going back to series 6 during Craig Charles's trial, The Mirror reported that Hollywood was going to make a version of Red Dwarf with Ted Danson, Eddie Murphy, Dan Akroyd and somebody else, I forget who and when it was comfirmed that the film WAS being made thier was rumours about Jackie Chan and Maddona starring in it.

I was gutted at the state of RD7 & 8. All the great characterisation and brilliant lines had been replaced with supposed "Thigh slapping" comedy that characterised much of the BBC's output in the late ninties.

Although the myth that Rob Grant was the "funny" one was dispelled by Sky's The Strangerers.
Stella MM
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Dec 13 2004, 06:29 PM)
It started going downhill after series three, but the real decline set in after S5/6.

Whaaat? But Quarantine in series 5 was clearly the best one of whole eight series! And if you don't agree with me, you're all twats.*

* wink.gif
Kick in the Head
I actually think 3-6 are the best series. Although I really like the tone and feel of series 1 and 2 (as well as the music), it just wasn't very funny at all. While series 7 was just crap, and 8 was just bearable. Six hasn't had much rooting for yet, but I love episodes like Psirens, Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Legion. Although Quarantine is fabulous:

"Schopenhauer vas right, vouldn't you say? 'Life without pain has no meaning'. Gentlemen, I vish to give your lives meaning..."
spacegurl
i like series 1, not cos it was necessarily the best but purely for nostalgic reasons. i like quarantine too. smile.gif
innercitysumo
QUOTE (The Good Chap @ Dec 13 2004, 07:17 PM)
Although the myth that Rob Grant was the "funny" one was dispelled by Sky's The Strangerers.

It was a comedy?! ohmy.gif
AusChick
I really love Red Dwarf and have had all the so far released series on DVD shipped from the UK (they do sell them in Australia but usually 6 months later - and I'm impatient)

I think series 1 through 6 were all great. I do think they started to wedge in a few too many cheap one-liners in series 4-6 but the plots were fantastic so that's OK.

Series 7 is *just* watchable as a show in itself, but you have to pretend it's not actually Red Dwarf, it's just another show. Series 8 I actually could not watch. I just had to turn it off. I really could NOT even watch it!!

The problem was that they gave up on all the great character development and dialogue and focused on stupid special effects and un-funny one-line gags.

I think that it was better when Grant & Naylor were writing together. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that Rob Grant was the better writer (though I liked his book better than Naylor's too) but maybe just that they were better as a duo than to leave one of them solo.

As to an American remake - I don't know about Ted Danson and all that lot - but there have been two different American Red Dwarf pilots made. Neither made it past the pilot stage though. Read Robert Llewellen's "The Man in the Rubber Mask" for an amusing account of the first US pilot.

The film? Well we will just have to wait and see I guess.

Cheers
AC
ronlogan1977
Series 6 is my favourite. Best episode though is probably Queeg.
SuperSaiyanStoner
less wacky adventures

I thought wacky was good!!

Whaaat? But Quarantine in series 5 was clearly the best one of whole eight series! And if you don't agree with me, you're all twats.*

Personaly i thought the whole of series 5 was excellent, and yes, quarantine was very good (Mr flibble is VERY cross!).But how good were episodes like Angels and deamons and back to reality?!!
Jon 79
My favourite series' were 2 - 5.
6 was ok. but wasn't brilliant.
However, thanks to Mr. Naylor & a further 2 series, series 6 is looking alot funnier in comparison.

Fave episodes: Quarrantine, Marooned, White Hole, Queeg, Future Echoes.
wherearethezombies
red Dwarf is a strange one for me, I loved watching it as I grew up, can't remember the age at which I discovered it but it was pre 10 years old. I think this is why I love it way more than it maybe deserves me to - because I grew up with it. I'd love to see a movie - every series were excellent - FACT!
SuperSaiyanStoner
i know what you mean about growing up with it, it was a childhood classic for me aswell, how good was it when you saw the odd video that had a 15 certificate??!!Well it was good for me as i wasnt allowed to watch many things that i was deemed too young for!
Allthought even with that it just failed to interest me come series 7&8!
Douglas Nicol
I'm obviously in the minority here but I liked Series 8, though I was not at all impressed with series 7, though seeing Kryten blaze through Jane Austen land in a Russian tank is a classic moment. smile.gif
Jon 79
QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Dec 15 2004, 10:12 PM)
I'm obviously in the minority here but I liked Series 8, though I was not at all impressed with series 7, though seeing Kryten blaze through Jane Austen land in a Russian tank is a classic moment. smile.gif

Are you still a teenager?
Please don't take offence if you aren't. I just thought that, as discussed earlier in the thread, if you grow up with something, you have a fonder connection with it. smile.gif
Douglas Nicol
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Dec 15 2004, 10:20 PM)
Are you still a teenager?
Please don't take offence if you aren't. I just thought that, as discussed earlier in the thread, if you grow up with something, you have a fonder connection with it.  smile.gif

No, I'm 33 years old, I just felt that season 8 was an improvement on 7, though that might have been partially due to getting Rimmer back as a regular cast member.

By the way, does anyone here play tabletop RPG's, since there's a Red Dwarf RPG available.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Dec 15 2004, 10:22 PM)
No, I'm 33 years old, I just felt that season 8 was an improvement on 7, though that might have been partially due to getting Rimmer back as a regular cast member.

Oh, I totally agree. 8 is better than 7. also because KK is less annoying & now established, the comedy timing is better (studio audience), & they got rid of the shit 'film like' quality of series 7.
Yes series 8 is better, but it's still the second worse red dwarf series.
Lazlo Woodbine
The whole thing with bringing Kochanski into ruined it a little for me. The whole point of the show was that it was blokes bumming around in space without know what the fuck they were doing. And Kochanski was this unobtainable goal that Lister was somehow destined to meet again and live happily ever after. I still can't think of anyone other than Claire Grogan as the real Kochanski.
The character in the later series was mostly just annoying to me.
Douglas Nicol
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 15 2004, 10:44 PM)
The whole thing with bringing Kochanski into ruined it a little for me.  The whole point of the show was that it was blokes bumming around in space without know what the fuck they were doing.  And Kochanski was this unobtainable goal that Lister was somehow destined to meet again and live happily ever after.  I still can't think of anyone other than Claire Grogan as the real Kochanski.
The character in the later series was mostly just annoying to me.

That was part of the issues I had with the Female cat in the proposed US series as well.
Walsh
Well the movie has some things going against it really, 1) its set post season 8, now season 8 was absolutly awful, as was season 7. I couldn't believe it when I watched the first episode of series 7 how wrong Naylor got it straight away, the whole comcept behind the show is Lister wants to get back to earth and wants more companionship (ie. kochanski ). So what do they do? Send him home straight away! It made the whole series pointless, Lister was home, he could go anywhere, he could have all the things he wanted, this more than anything showed me that Naylor really didn't have a clue about the series. This is the second thing the show has going against it, Naylor has written it!

Really now the film is looking more likely to dent red Dwarfs legacy even further rather than be the great film which everyone wants it to be. Which is a shame really.

Oh does anyone else think that Naylor sounds very arrogent and in the series 5 documentory feature? When talking about the director he says everything that she did was awful, never mentions that it was maybe his fault for not helping her or checking her background before hand.
The Phantom
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Dec 15 2004, 10:27 PM)
& they got rid of the shit 'film like' quality of series 7.

I agree, that 'film like' or what is it 'soft lens' quality was a bad move, and it was good to see they had removed it for series 8.

Looking at Red Dwarf as a whole though, series 1-6 I really liked but series 7&8 were a let down, and as I think somebody said earlier, I shall only be buying the Series 7&8 DVD's to complete the Red Dwarf logo on the spines of my DVD's.
Jon 79
QUOTE (The Phantom @ Dec 16 2004, 11:58 AM)
I shall only be buying the Series 7&8 DVD's to complete the Red Dwarf logo on the spines of my DVD's.

No. don't do it. That's exactly what they want you to do!
I can quite happilly make a statement about my dislike of the last 2 series by having the 'RED DWAR' logo on my shelf.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Walsh @ Dec 16 2004, 12:29 AM)
Really now the film is looking more likely to dent red Dwarfs legacy even further rather than be the great film which everyone wants it to be. Which is a shame really.

Yes. I agree.

My prediction:
If the series trend is anything to go by, then the film will look fantastic (with the exception of a few bits of CGI), the plot line will continue to destroy the original red dwarf legacy, there'll be some good acting, some bad acting, some very nice lighting, & a mostly unfunny script. - apart from a few clever one-liners.

It's the future. (I've tasted it!)
AusChick
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Dec 16 2004, 10:17 PM)
No. don't do it. That's exactly what they want you to do!
I can quite happilly make a statement about my dislike of the last 2 series by having the 'RED DWAR' logo on my shelf.

hahahahahahaha laugh.gif

Those damned spines!!!
That's one of the reasons I keep importing every series from the UK.
The Australian releses don't have those spines!!
So since I bought the first series from the UK I just had to keep doing it to match up the spines.
But yes, as time has gone on I've been starting to think "am I really going to bother buying series 7 & 8??????"
Curse those spines!

Cheers
AC
Marty
What's all this about the film being set POST series 8? Where did that come from?
It's certainly not post 8 in the script, unless it's been re-written. Which would be a blessing because it was shit.
Stella MM
So you've read the script, Marty? I didn't think you were one of them showbusiness jobbers. Or do you have contacts in high places?
Marty
Naw, I wish!

Someone did me a favour.
Raven
QUOTE (Marty @ Dec 17 2004, 01:50 PM)
Someone did me a favour.

But if the script was shit, how much of a favour was it? huh.gif
Marty
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 17 2004, 03:05 PM)
But if the script was shit, how much of a favour was it?  huh.gif

Saved me the cost of a cinema ticket.
Stella MM
Any snippets you can post at all?
SuperSaiyanStoner
yeah come on, share the goss!
Raven
QUOTE (Marty @ Dec 17 2004, 02:36 PM)
Saved me the cost of a cinema ticket.

Ah, more beer money - good point wink.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
Im in the process of trying to get each dvd signed by a different cast member. The trouble is...8 dvds... 7 main cast members. What should i do about the last one?
Raven
Burn it? huh.gif tongue.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 17 2004, 05:57 PM)
Burn it?  huh.gif  tongue.gif

I'm trying to quit burning things mellow.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.