Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Harry Potter Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
widowspider
mine's been pre-ordered for months. but now i think i'm going to be in new york when it comes out, and it'll get delivered to my uk address! d'oh! will have to change it now.
Amazongirl
The covers rather odd...never mind.

Really tempted to stary buying the adult coevr books too.
(i have 2 copies of each book, 4 if you cound my mum's and sisters)
Ingram
One of my friends is utterly obsessed with Harry Potter (she is 17) and she almost cried when she found out that she was going to be in Italy for four days after the release of the next book - meaning she wont be able to get hold of a copy for almost a week. I was planning to call her on her arrival and read her the last page over the phone. Or at least give her a summary of the book; just enough to ruin it for her... but threats have been made against my life.
Amazongirl
Well Im a massive fan, and am currently looking for work experience in graphic design studios for the summer so i'll have a better chance getting a job when I finish uni next year.
Im not going anywhere on the 15-16th july, Ive cancelled going to greece cause of it.
Im doing the same as I did last time, waiting outside the shopping centre at 8pm with my best mate, wearing my cloak (if its cold) and getting laughed at by the newspaper who know us for it as well as being at the front of the queue at every premier showing of the films in the town.
We were 8th and 9th last time in the queue for the 5th book (thanks to mum taking me out for a meal b4 hand)
I have a horrid photo of me in the paper somewhere....

Anywho, Ill yell at the manager if he doesnt give me my goody bag thisa time around biggrin.gif
HazyJayne
Ohhhhh.... one of my favourite topics

I've been a HP obbsessive fan since 1999 when PoA came out. My favourite characters are Snape, Lupin and Sirius *sniff*. I've booked the Friday off work before HBP comes out, and I'm having friends coming to stay from Derby, Iceland and New Zeland and we are all going to go to a big book party somewhere in London... smile.gif

~ HJ x
Amazongirl
Im reaaaaaally looking forward to finding out more about Snape's past, IM intreeged, and obviously more Ron + Hermione biggrin.gif

We are making plans of the day now. Im going to re read the books soon.
HazyJayne
I should do that... the problem is, will I have the time *gulp* wacko.gif
Amazongirl
QUOTE (HazyJayne @ Mar 14 2005, 01:03 PM)
I should do that... the problem is, will I have the time *gulp*  wacko.gif

Are you a slow reader?

I know ill be able to read them all in time, may be twice if I didnt have so much uni work to do, or maybe 3...now that would be silly since ive read them all except the latest about 20 times
Ingram
I managed the last book inside a weekend, and by that I mean bought on the Saturday and had it finished by Sunday night. I was always quite proud of that. Plus you always have the amusing few days of ruining it for everyone else... God I'm such a child. There again last time my friend stood in the queue and told everyone who died because he got an advance copy. Good times.
Amazongirl
I got mine at midnight, like I said. Went to sleep at about 3am for a couple of hours.

Finished the book by 4pm that day......

My best mate reads the first few pages, then the back then the rest of the book only if Ron or Hermione havent died, If so, she chucks it!
Baz
The first official teaser poster has apperaed in a magazine. For a scan of it, click here.
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Mar 15 2005, 10:00 PM)
The first official teaser poster has apperaed in a magazine. For a scan of it, click here.

Interesting how it doesn't say who is doing the music yet . . . smile.gif

The last book was waaaaaay too long, and not a very good read at all.

A cracking opening chapter followed by 500 pages of tedium before a couple of interesting chapters at the end.

Any other author would have been told to trim the story but someone obviously smelt the $$ . . .
Chapman Baxter
Ooh, controversial!

I think you're right that JK Rowling got away with padding a book out that most authors would have had edited. But I don't agree that it had 500 pages of tedium - I really liked the tension, and the detailed description of the hellish Umbridge regime. It made it all the more satisfying when Fred and George made their stand.

Amazon sent me the book on Saturday morning, and I would have finished it that day if I hadn't had to have gone to a friend's stag do that evening.
widowspider
loved the umbridge stuff...thought i was a fantastic portrayal of power in the wrong hands and how a totally lunatic regime can begin to take over right under everyone's noses. i thought it had a lot of echoes in current world politics. plus the aforementioned spoiler bit literally had me cheering at the page!
sweetbutinsane
I love the Harry Potter books. Especially the 5th one. I don't think that it's too long at all. I hate reading short books where you finish them in about an hour or so.

Anyway, I think J.K.Rowling is a brilliant author, and I cant find a fault with her books (apart from her killing off my favourite character *sobs*).

The movies are completely different. I really don't like them, for many reasons. But I suppose the good thing about them is that they remind me how good the books are. Anyone else feel the same - love the books but loathe the films?
spacemonkey
I wasn't too impressed with the second film but the third wasn't bad. Still not a patch on the books though. Can't wait for the new book.

Yup & it was a bit unfair with the killing & all
widowspider
i thought the first two films were way too disney-ish to represent the darker qualities of the books. prisoner of azkaban, though, was fantastic - really was how i pictured the harry potter world. but that's what you get for bringing in such a good director - his use of imagery and symbolism was brilliant. i loved the way he punctuated scenes with shots of the dementors hovering outside hogwarts...really gave you the sense that they were there, waiting. creepy!
also the casting of the new characters was perfect. gary oldman was brilliant as sirius, and timothy spall was truly horrifying as wormtail. amazing makeup and his physicality was frightening!
can't wait for the fourth one - hope they continue to improve in this vein! if only daniel radcliffe could learn to convey emotions...ah well.
Raven
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Mar 16 2005, 01:28 AM)
I really liked the tension . . .

But how much of the tension was actually down to the book and how much was it down to Rowling telling anyone who would listen that a major character was going to die in the book?

Someone has some kind of incident in nearly every chapter so you are constantly thinking "is it this person" and after a while it just gets annoying.

And then, when the victim is finally revealed, it's done and dusted so quickly that you end up thinking "was that it?!".

If you didn't know someone was going to die before you read the book would it have been as good?

I guess what I'm saying is that for me the tension relied on Rowling giving the game away before the book was released and not on her writing . . .
m0r1arty
The next film is s'ppose to be really dark and grimy. It brings depth into the characters, in particular harry. It makes him seem, well, older, tortured and a bit more dirty.

Here's a pic of the new film cover

Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 17 2005, 01:29 PM)
But how much of the tension was actually down to the book and how much was it down to Rowling telling anyone who would listen that a major character was going to die in the book? 

Well, that was certainly a big part of it when I first read the book, but it stands up to a re-read. In fact, once you know the end then different parts provide the tension - you can see Harry making the mistakes that will ultimately lead to Sirius's death.
A-Friend
say hello to my li'l friend

edit- damn, was supposed to come straight after the photo but Chapman Baxter got in there first ... oh well, its done now!
widowspider
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Mar 17 2005, 01:44 PM)
The next film is s'ppose to be really dark and grimy. It brings depth into the characters, in particular harry. It makes him seem, well, older, tortured and a bit more dirty.

Here's a pic of the new film cover

what's with the gun, or am i being really slow?
Raven
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Mar 17 2005, 01:47 PM)
Well, that was certainly a big part of it when I first read the book, but it stands up to a re-read.  In fact, once you know the end then different parts provide the tension - you can see Harry making the mistakes that will ultimately lead to Sirius's death.

I will say I've only read the book the once, and to be honest I don't really feel inclined to read it again - at least not at present.

Will have to give The Goblet of Fire a read through before the film comes out though.
Raven
QUOTE (widowspider @ Mar 17 2005, 02:03 PM)
what's with the gun, or am i being really slow?

*Psst* It's a spoof of the Dirty Harry poster . . . wink.gif
widowspider
thankyou!

am v. tired and slow today - i've only been getting 5.5 hours sleep every night this week because i've been staying up late to talk to me bloke in new york. he's got a play rehearsal today though so i'm going to be in bed and asleep so damn early.
ugh...caffeine...need....*thud*
Amazongirl
I never finished this, but heres my starwars/Harry potter characters so far

Im a huge Harry potter fan and starwars (the original series thank you!) and am trying to tempt my hp mad best mate to watch the trilogy cause she writes ron/hermionie fan fictions and I think watching han and leias escapades in empire strikes back might help her (oh and also understand all the star wars stuff in SPACED)

Starwars fans dont kill me...
Raven
QUOTE (Amazongirl @ Mar 17 2005, 03:59 PM)
I never finished this, but heres my starwars/Harry potter characters so far

Im a huge Harry potter fan and starwars (the original series thank you!) and am trying to tempt my hp mad best mate to watch the trilogy cause she writes ron/hermionie fan fictions and I think watching han and leias escapades in empire strikes back might help her (oh and also understand all the star wars stuff in SPACED)

Starwars fans dont kill me...

Actually, that's very good - top marks in the Photoshop department! smile.gif
Baz
Well it's beena while since I posted in here. So once again, everything is taken from The Snitch site.

So some new pics.

Note these pics are quite big!

Harry

Harry in an office

Rita and photographer

The Trio in class

Fleur and Dumbledore

the Trio outside

Still no trailer yet. sad.gif
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Baz @ Apr 1 2005, 05:00 PM)

Sorry to sound naive, but it's been over a year since I read the Goblet and I need to ask, why is Hitler in the background?
Ingram
Emma Watson is getting more attractive by the minute. Talk about jailbait. (Oh and check my birthday before you condemn me altogether)
Cornetto
I read the books and wasn't keen on any of the films. Its all the fuckingmerchandise that ruins every thing... a few action figures are ok but really there are stack loads of crap that never get sold so why even make them?
Baz
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Apr 1 2005, 04:58 PM)
Sorry to sound naive, but it's been over a year since I read the Goblet and I need to ask, why is Hitler in the background?

I believe that that is Barty Crouch Senior with Dumbledore and Fleur.
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Apr 1 2005, 05:00 PM)

Good to see they seem to be using the same set/loaction as the last film smile.gif
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 2 2005, 12:32 AM)
Good to see they seem to be using the same set/loaction as the last film smile.gif

Sadly they appear to be using the same actors...
meh
That wee bastard Radcliffe used to really annoy me at first coz he just wasn't the Harry I had pictured and grown to love. In the 3rd one the messy hair helped, but the 'breathing through clenched teeth when scared/angry' still grates slightly.

They have got better though, poor wee rich gets. rolleyes.gif
Raven
Radcliffe wasn't that hot in the first film but I'd say the three of them have acquitted themselves okay since then.
meh
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 2 2005, 05:22 PM)
Radcliffe wasn't that hot in the first film but I'd say the three of them have acquitted themselves okay since then.

Yup, and to be fair they were only wee to begin with, and I've got used to him being Harry now.
spacemonkey
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Apr 1 2005, 05:58 PM)

Nah, that's Trigger from Only Fools & Horses
Ingram
QUOTE (spacemonkey @ Apr 2 2005, 06:00 PM)
Nah, that's Trigger from Only Fools & Horses

"Alright Dave"

mellow.gif
nixygirl
QUOTE (Ingram @ Apr 2 2005, 04:16 AM)
Emma Watson is getting more attractive by the minute.  Talk about jailbait.  (Oh and check my birthday before you condemn me altogether)

Man I'm an old woman (30's old) and Daniel is actualy growing into his face and becoming quite the hottie!
My biggest surprise where the twins in the last flick
it was like phwoar! from our row everytime they were on screen!
luvs nix
widowspider
Yeah the twins have improved immensely - I've always had a soft spot for our Rupert as well!
And Ingram - my 25 year old brother goes on about how fit Emma Watson is. mellow.gif Now that's wrong.
Ingram
QUOTE (widowspider @ Apr 4 2005, 11:20 AM)
And Ingram - my 25 year old brother goes on about how fit Emma Watson is. mellow.gif Now that's wrong.

Slightly more reassuring.
Svein
QUOTE (Ingram @ Apr 2 2005 @ 04:16 AM)
Emma Watson is getting more attractive by the minute.  Talk about jailbait.  (Oh and check my birthday before you condemn me altogether)

Dude... I've been saying that since Prisoner and I'm a hell of a lot older than you!
Raven
QUOTE (Svein @ Apr 4 2005, 11:59 AM)
Dude...  I've been saying that since Prisoner and I'm a hell of a lot older than you!

Yeah, he's on old prevert . . . wink.gif
spacemonkey
Thought this was quite well done

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Ingram
That is very good. Although I don't know whether it lessens Star Wars for me or makes Harry Potter movies better...
Baz
Taken from the Snitch.

First 'Goblet of Fire' first look on May 7 only on ABC 12 Comments 

Watch 'Chamber of Secrets' May 7 on ABC (7/6 central) and during that presentation, they will preview a few film clips and an exclusive first look. They will also show cast interviews and behind-the-sences footage from GOF.

As a special treat for Harry Potter film fans, this presentation will include interstitials throughout featuring an exclusive first look at film clips, cast interviews and behind-the-scenes footage from the fourth Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, opening in theatres November 18, 2005.

*Please note: this is only available for those living in the US since this will be showing on 'American Broadcasting Company'(ABC)

Not fair as this is for U.S residents only, but it won't matter too much as it will be all over the Potter fans sites with-in hours of being broadcast.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Baz @ Apr 15 2005, 08:34 AM)
Not fair as this is for U.S residents only, but it won't matter too much as it will be all over the Potter fans sites with-in hours of being broadcast.

And you lot will all be watching the Pegg make the Doctor's life miserable that night, anyway, so it's not as if you haven't got your share. wink.gif

Pleeease say they're going to show us some Voldie action. I can't WAIT to see Fiennes in character; saw pix of him bald on Getty Images, I can only imagine it's for GoF. Hee.
Baz
I'm hoping after the clips have been screen, it won't be long before there is a trailer, but I bet most of the clips they will show, will probably end up being in the trailer anyway.
thirtyhelens
If they're smart, they'll at least slap a teaser onto Revenge of the Sith. Different studio, but who cares?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.