Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Harry Potter Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Raven
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 20 2007, 01:51 PM)
Keep reading. The whole final third of Phlebas is like a giant train-wreck unfurling in slow-motion before your eyes.

I've read it before (but not for a very long time) and I'm enjoying it very much!
Svein
Got my copy to pick up at midnight... I'm hoping to have it finished before I go to see Transformers...
curtinparloe
Just got this email. Some are funnier than others...
QUOTE (topfive.com)
              Now that the last Harry Potter book is           
            about to be published, it would seem that           
              J. K. Rowling might have a few extra             
              minutes on her hands.  Here are some             
              suggestions so she might keep busy.             

The Top 10 Things on J. K. Rowling's To Do List       

10> Claim that she was just kidding and announce the eighth book.
    Watch with glee as hordes of Potter fans positively wet
    themselves.

9> Visiting the graves of J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis to
    deliver her long-planned, "In Your Faces, Sirs," speech.

8> Hosting "The View" with a lethal-looking wand in her hand
    to keep things going smoothly.

7> Convince the Ministry of Magic to wipe all the Muggles' minds
    so she can sell them the Harry Potter books all over again.

6> Mysteriously vanish from our little Muggle world.

5> Open negotiations with an almost-legal Emma Watson for her
    newest video project, "Hogwarts Gone Wild."

4> Give Alan Rickman a ring and ask him to come over in character
    and punish you for being a wicked, wicked witch.

3> "Children's Fantasy franchise… check. Ok, now it's time to
    start on 'Maggie Chang and the Sulfurous Star.'"

2> Start writing the "Naughty Harry" adult series of magical
    stories.

and the Number 1 Thing on J. K. Rowling's To Do List...

1> Hop on her griffon and fly off into the sunset, laughing
    maniacally.
sweetbutinsane
The supermarkets have gone bonkers - Asda and Morrisons are selling it for a fiver!! I might have to pop down Morrisons in the morning and see if I can get it from there first ... smile.gif
Stu
Anyone else waiting for Deathly Hallows to be delivered?

Hopefully it will be here soon... smile.gif

Stu
Stu
YAY It has arrived!

Happy reading everyone! smile.gif

Stu
Peronel
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Jul 21 2007, 01:52 AM)
9> Visiting the graves of J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis to
    deliver her long-planned, "In Your Faces, Sirs," speech.

laugh.gif

2> Start writing the "Naughty Harry" adult series of magical
    stories.

She's got some stiff (okay, a little pun intended) competition already at various fanfic sites.
Raven
I just popped down town to pick up my copy, and was a witness to the following:

Small Boy: I want a copy!

Dad: But you haven't read any of the other books, you can't start with the last one!

Small Boy: But I know how it ends!

Dad: You can read Mum's copy when she's done.

On a more serious note, I think some shops could be done for false advertising.

WHSmiths, in Chichester, has a huge sign in the window saying the book is £6.99, but it's not until you get inside and read the signs around the book shelves that you realise that price only applies when you spend £15.00 on stationary or books - their book only price is £10.99!

Woolworths are doing a similar thing as well (although their signs are clearer and they are selling individual books at £8.99).
lola
I thought I'd save myself the bother of having to go out and buy a copy today by pre-ordering it from Play. Turns out to have been a stupid idea as the post has been and there was no Harry Potter delivered. There was another package from Play, so I can only assume something cocked up somewhere along the line and mine will not be arriving today.

Now I'm going to have to go buy a copy anyway, because I don't trust people on other parts of the internet to not post spoilers where I can see them and ruin it for me.
Raven
Although cheap, I've found Play deliveries to be very erratic of late.

I obviously don't know if this is the case, but I'd suspect customs to be behind the delay, and also Play trying to ensure no one got their copies a day early.

How did it go last night Baz?!
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 21 2007, 08:09 AM)
How did it go last night Baz?!

I saw some footage from the museum, but I couldn't spot Baz. Hope you had a good time!
lola
knowing that it took a week for the package that came today to get here, I think that could well be the case.

I'm probably not the only one either, so they may find themselves with a flood of returns - in trying to not get things anywhere early they've gone the other way.

The most annoying thing is it cost the same as Waterstone's, so it's my own fault and I should just have done what I normally do when the book comes out, and pick one up around lunchtime.

Which I'm off to do now, so I don't miss out on knowing what happens for too much longer.
Svein
I went to Waterstones last night and got mine... Just finished it now.
curtinparloe
My housemate arrived a bit late last night so I didn't go until half an hour ago. £4.99 from morrissons. Bit of a rip-off, but at least it's hardback.

Now I have to not read it until I've done what I'm supposed to do this week...
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 21 2007, 12:42 PM)
WHSmiths, in Chichester, has a huge sign in the window saying the book is £6.99, but it's not until you get inside and read the signs around the book shelves that you realise that price only applies when you spend £15.00 on stationary or books - their book only price is £10.99! 

Hmph, now I'm very glad I went to Asda last night then. I hope they do get done for that - it's horribly unfair!!

QUOTE (Svein @ Jul 21 2007, 03:10 PM)
Just finished it now.

happy.gif Me too! I'll have to head over to the other thread - I'm bursting to talk about it and none of my friends have finished yet.
curtinparloe
Just read a news article on Yahoo about the release which gives away the ending.

Fuckers. mad.gif
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Jul 21 2007, 05:33 PM)
Just read a news article on Yahoo about the release which gives away the ending.

Fuckers. mad.gif

Just read that article - that's really unfair and they should mark whether it has spoilers in before posting these things! mad.gif I bet quite few unsuspecting people have now had the ending spoiled for them.

You basically have to keep well away from the computer, TV and radio until you've read the whole thing - can't trust them not to put spoilers in, even so soon after the release.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (what I sent to the news organisation)
Details of your request: I would like to complain about the news article written by Katherine Haddon about the release of the latest Harry Potter novel, particularly the section which reads "***the section that contained the spoilers***" As can be seen, crucial plot points of the book are given away in a news article without any mention of spoilers. Perhaps it is AFP's policy to write news items such as "In Lord of the Rings, Gandalf dies but comes back," "In Sixth Sense, Bruce Willis is a ghost"and "Darth Vader really is Luke's father", but I find such an approach to journalism lazy and unprofessional. Please take more care in future. Regards, Paul Anderton

(Spoilered for the classic films concerned, nothing to do with the Boy Wizard...)
maian
Pre-ordered my copy off of Play on Wednesday and it showed up very nice and promptly this morning and I'm about half-way through so far.
lola
I located a copy in Waterstone's in the end - the first branch I went to had sold out!

Finished it before bed last night, poor Kei, he told me it was OK to finish it before going to bed, it was nearly 2 when I did. He's a bit tired today.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jul 21 2007, 11:02 PM)

laugh.gif That just made my day.
curtinparloe
Read it all today, at the expense of getting out of bed. Having breakfast now.
princess_shrek
Just back from a lovely weekend in York where someone from these hallowed boards who shall remain nameless but who claims not to have any interest in reading Harry Potter was observed sneaking a peek at the end of this book...

happy.gif
thirtyhelens
Cheeky. tongue.gif

He'll deny it up and down, you know.
Raven
Due to an epic assault on World of Warcraft yesterday, I'm only 50 pages in.

I suspect I will get a lot further this evening.
shinyelvenqueen
I spent the whole weekend reading Harry Potter. I am new to it so I finally finished goblet of fire at 3am this mornng. And wil be good to read all before The DH.

The TV hasn't been on since thursday! I blame the face of bow for this.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jul 23 2007, 04:13 AM)
Cheeky.  tongue.gif

He'll deny it up and down, you know.

Deny what?

I ain't done nothing. wink.gif
mcraigclark
I'm about 100 pages to the end. It's very good, although I was sad about certain characters' outcomes. I hope to finish it tonight.
melzilla
QUOTE (princess_shrek @ Jul 22 2007, 11:17 PM)
Just back from a lovely weekend in York where someone from these hallowed boards who shall remain nameless but who claims not to have any interest in reading Harry Potter was observed sneaking a peek at the end of this book...

happy.gif

laugh.gif Busted!!

I finished it last night...I liked it...It was good.
Ingram
I am mortified at the number of unmarked spoilers on Wikipedia throughout the Harry Potter portal. Marked ones are fine, it establishes that it will reveal information pertaining to characters that you would expect to find in an encyclopedia style entry but there are some serious plot-elements revealled in passing without a second thought. The book has only been out 2 days, even though many fans will have read it that doesn't mean it's fine to post spoilers freely.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jul 23 2007, 04:34 PM)
I am mortified at the number of unmarked spoilers on Wikipedia throughout the Harry Potter portal.  Marked ones are fine, it establishes that it will reveal information pertaining to characters that you would expect to find in an encyclopedia style entry but there are some serious plot-elements revealled in passing without a second thought.  The book has only been out 2 days, even though many fans will have read it that doesn't mean it's fine to post spoilers freely.

To be fair, I’d say that is to be expected.

If you are reading the book, and looking to avoid spoilers, the last thing you would do is put Harry Potter into Wikipedia!

I would object, however, to reading something on Yahoo or the like that gave the game away, but it will only a matter of time before articles do start to mention spoilers more widely.
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 23 2007, 04:59 PM)
To be fair, I’d say that is to be expected. 

If you are reading the book, and looking to avoid spoilers, the last thing you would do is put Harry Potter into Wikipedia! 

I would object, however, to reading something on Yahoo or the like that gave the game away, but it will only a matter of time before articles do start to mention spoilers more widely.

I agree there... To be perfectly honest, I'd avoid looking at anything on the net that was HP associated until I had finished it, because not only are there genuine mistakes, but there's also the people who deliberately try to ruin it for others...
curtinparloe
Luckily, my short term memory messed up, and I pretty much forgot all the spoilers I had read, so it wasn't a problem. Just a shame I can't remember any of the book laugh.gif
widowspider
My mum bought me a copy of the book and is shipping it out to me from the UK. I find that the US editions get very 'Americanised' and it detracts from my enjoyment of the book, so I'm happy to wait a week to get the right version.
princess_shrek
Childline turns away distraught Harry Potter fans
NiteFall
Cough. Coughcough.
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jul 21 2007, 11:02 PM)
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (widowspider @ Jul 23 2007, 09:13 PM)
My mum bought me a copy of the book and is shipping it out to me from the UK. I find that the US editions get very 'Americanised' and it detracts from my enjoyment of the book, so I'm happy to wait a week to get the right version.

Do they change much in the US versions? I've always wondered ...
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jul 24 2007, 11:21 AM)
Do they change much in the US versions? I've always wondered ...

See here for the details (though they've not got round to Deathly Hallows yet, the slackers).
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Jul 24 2007, 11:37 AM)
See here for the details (though they've not got round to Deathly Hallows yet, the slackers).

Thank you!

It's interesting to see what they change.
mcraigclark
There's a typo on page 5 of the US version.

Sucess instead of success.
Miss Shazam
Do you know what?
I have a freind who would fit in nicely on this thread.
Earlier today here IM nickname was something like:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY!!! I wub.gif NEVILLE 4 EVA

And it just goes............... straight over my head.
Raven
Potter beats Bond.
Raven
The Trials of Danny Radcliffe.

Poor chap!
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 10 2007, 01:50 AM)
Yeah, Right!!

I can see that happening . . .
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 12 2007, 02:34 PM)

Trolling the Daniel Radcliffe news because of the Dr Who rumours or is it just a very Radcliffe filled day in Raven's world?
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Sep 13 2007, 12:18 AM)
Trolling the Daniel Radcliffe news because of the Dr Who rumours or is it just a very Radcliffe filled day in Raven's world?

Nope, just reading through Digital Spy - they've gone a bit Radcliffe mad over the last week, there are a couple of other stories about him I didn't bother linking too.
Raven
Does Rowling not sign books then?

It seems odd that there is only one complete set of signed books in existence.
Starscream`s Ghost
It's difficult to sign books when you've disappeared up your own arse.
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 17 2007, 10:39 AM)
It's difficult to sign books when you've disappeared up your own arse.

I didn't realise you were a fan!
Starscream`s Ghost
Her books aren't bad, I really think that she's done a good job with them.

However, they're not great literature. She seems to think otherwise, for some reason. I don't have a problem with her work, just her personally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.