Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Harry Potter Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 17 2007, 10:03 AM)
Does Rowling not sign books then?

It seems odd that there is only one complete set of signed books in existence.

What exactly constitutes a "special edition" of the books, or do they simply mean "first editions"? If they are special and all signed then that would increase their rarity but I find it hard to believe that there aren't more signed copies out there. I know Rowling did an awful lot of press to launch the first one but as soon as they because big news I doubt she was doing as many signings, so getting every single copy of your collection signed is good, getting a complete set of first/special editions is ever rarer.
Raven
They've edited the article since I made my post, they didn't make any mention of "special editions" in the original version, so that kind of answers my question.
GundamGuy_UK
Jim Broadbent has signed up to play Slughorn, a friend of mine just told me.
widowspider
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Sep 20 2007, 12:45 AM)
Jim Broadbent has signed up to play Slughorn, a friend of mine just told me.

Awesome.
shaka37
QUOTE (Ingram @ Sep 17 2007, 05:47 AM)
What exactly constitutes a "special edition" of the books, or do they simply mean "first editions"?  If they are special and all signed then that would increase their rarity but I find it hard to believe that there aren't more signed copies out there.  I know Rowling did an awful lot of press to launch the first one but as soon as they because big news I doubt she was doing as many signings, so getting every single copy of your collection signed is good, getting a complete set of first/special editions is ever rarer.

I think special editions include either different or enhanced cover art, the way it's bound, sized and packaged. There might be ... and this is my guess ... more Mary Grand Pre art? I don't know.
Raven
JK Rowling outs Dumbledore.

I'm not sure if I find that contrived or amusing.
Baz
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 20 2007, 11:54 AM)
JK Rowling outs Dumbledore.

I'm not sure if I find that contrived or amusing.

Oh my, didn't see that coming, but quite interestering none the less. Give's the religious groups who are anti-Potter more stuff to moan about now, witches, wizzards, good and evil and now the gays are getting in on the action. tongue.gif
sweetbutinsane
Oh, the fanfiction writers are just going to love that one.
GundamGuy_UK
It does make sense, actually. He was in love with one person and could never love anyone else.
Raven
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Oct 20 2007, 07:26 PM)
Oh, the fanfiction writers are just going to love that one.

I suspect they have already been there - many, many times . . .
mcraigclark
QUOTE (shaka37 @ Sep 24 2007, 03:39 PM)
more Mary Grand Pre art?

She doesn't do the British versions' covers.

So, Dumbledore is gay. It seems a little strange to bring that out now, don't you think? It would have been more effective if that was revealed in HP #7- would have given Harry something else to be conflicted about, and ultimately defend.
Llama
Seems like more of an afterthought to me... Though I don't have the last book fresh enough in my mind to see where that fits in.
maian
I don't really see the point of telling people that since, as far as I can discern, it's not something that has ever been speculated on in the books. It's all very well and good if she had included hints to it or if it had been of overt importance in the last book, but it just seems like something tacked on afterwards. Having said that, it does throw some light onto Dumbledore's youth and some of the events in the last book, but not as much as any obvious references could have.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 20 2007, 09:41 PM)
I suspect they have already been there - many, many times . . .

laugh.gif Yeah, but knowing that they're right will just add fuel to the fire.
Raven
True!
Raven
Lawsuit delays fan's 'Potter' encyclopaedia.

I think this is a bit off myself.

As an unofficial encyclopaedia it is probably only going to appeal to hardcore fans and they would still be buying Rowling’s version anyway (and that leaves out the fact that Rowling’s version is going to be embellished with a lot of new material which will make it a must have for anyone who is interested in the books).

I can understand an individual or company protecting their copyright, but the reasons being given here smack of greed to me.
Everlong
QUOTE (spacemonkey @ Nov 16 2007, 05:06 PM)

Do they put the right little shits in slytherin then?
widowspider
QUOTE (spacemonkey @ Nov 16 2007, 06:06 PM)

I don't see what the problem is if it has helped the kids to learn, and enjoy learning.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (widowspider @ Nov 19 2007, 02:58 PM)
I don't see what the problem is if it has helped the kids to learn, and enjoy learning.

I agree, though won't it create problems for them once they reach secondary school? I mean, if they're used to learning in that way then they might find secondary school a bit of a struggle.

Also, what about the kids that don't read/like Harry Potter?
Raven
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Nov 19 2007, 07:21 PM)

They end up in Hufflepuff.
widowspider
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Nov 19 2007, 08:21 PM)
I agree, though won't it create problems for them once they reach secondary school? I mean, if they're used to learning in that way then they might find secondary school a bit of a struggle.

At such a young age, though, any kind of teaching method that engages their attention and gets them learning is a good thing - one would hope/imagine that as they get older and closer to finishing primary school, their teachers will start to use more conventional methods of teaching (by which time the important groundwork has been laid and their interest in the subject already peaked).
S'all about balance, innit. smile.gif
Zoe
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Nov 19 2007, 07:21 PM)

Ha ha ha, they haven't turned the school into Hogwarts!

The innovative approach, where children vote on the theme for a term's lessons, has raised academic standards.

They'll be doing something else next term, like Pirates or a Jungle theme.

This isn't really that unusual, particularly in Nurseries. My Mum's pre-reception class have a different theme every term, I remember a couple of years ago having to help out making a Yellow Submarine.
empathy-with-beast
It would have been better if they'd just kept the Hogwarts theme running into secondary school though, and then eventually into the work place. I can't think of a single job that wouldn't be more fun dressed as a wizard.

Apart from kickboxer, the robes would probably make it harder.

I always thought that in the final batlle in the last book there should have been more punching and kicking mixed in with the spells.
Zoe
One for fans of the novels, a lovely article by Stephen King.

The Last Word on Harry Potter
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 20 2007, 10:25 AM)
Ha ha ha, they haven't turned the school into Hogwarts!

They haven't? *Disappointed face*
Raven
JK Rowling hints at eighth Potter - there's a surprise!
Peronel
Oh well, at least she says it won't revolve around Harry. I think it's fine if she sets another book in the same fictional universe. People loved reading the books not just for Harry (actually, in spite of the whingy bastard) but for the history of the world she created.

But we have to wait a decade anyway, it seems.
Ingram
I would welcome another book set in that world, without Harry as the protagonist. Whether it be a prequel or otherwise. I think that's all she has hinted at really.
Raven
Personally, I can live without any more Potter Universe antics.

The last three books displayed a marked down turn in quality, and the idea of expanding the series with more books focusing on different characters doesn't do anything for me.
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 31 2007, 03:20 AM)
Personally, I can live without any more Potter Universe antics.

The last three books displayed a marked down turn in quality, and the idea of expanding the series with more books focusing on different characters doesn't do anything for me.

Did you see the thing on ITV yesterday... I have to say I have a whole bunch more respect for her after watching that... especially her reaction to people who don't like the books...
Raven
I only caught the last 40 minutes or so, but what I saw was quite good (I was disapointed I didn't manage to spot Baz at the signing!).
Baz
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 31 2007, 11:40 AM)
I only caught the last 40 minutes or so, but what I saw was quite good (I was disapointed I didn't manage to spot Baz at the signing!).

So was I.

*sigh*

I thought the program was a bit of a let down really. To compress a years worth of filming in to one hour, well 45 minutes becuase of add breaks was a bit crap.

They should of made better with the footage they had as how many people get the chance to get this kind of access to JK as she's a very private person.

ITV wasted a good thing here, it should of been a two part documentary with the second part on New Years day or something, as it didn't really show JK that great.
Raven
I thought a lot of the show re-covered ground that had already been covered in previous documentaries, but there was enough from the release of The Deathly Hallows I hadn't seen before to keep it interesting.

Does anyone know when Rowling's HP Encyclopedia is due for release?
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 31 2007, 12:54 PM)
I thought a lot of the show re-covered ground that had already been covered in previous documentaries, but there was enough from the release of The Deathly Hallows I hadn't seen before to keep it interesting.

I liked it, although I wish it could have been more as well. It was amusing watching her with the themepark peeps... It reminded me a little of Python's architect sketch... All I was waiting for was the "did you say knives?"

What struck me was just how much she really cares about Harry, and why she ended the books the way that she did. Also how excited she got about doing the reading at the Natural History Museum.

Whether you like HP or loathe, or just have been disappointed by what she has released more recently, or just don't care about HP, you have to at least give her the kudoes that she is the only author in recent years that have gotten kids and adults to care about literature again, and without her, a lot of other children's books may not have had much of a chance... (thinking about Artemis Fowl, HDM and Alex Rider)... Not saying that they would not have been successful, but without HP, it would have been a lot harder!
Raven
QUOTE (Svein @ Dec 31 2007, 12:17 PM)
Whether you like HP or loathe, or just have been disappointed by what she has released more recently, or just don't care about HP, you have to at least give her the kudoes that she is the only author in recent years that have gotten kids and adults to care about literature again, and without her, a lot of other children's books may not have had much of a chance...  (thinking about Artemis Fowl, HDM and Alex Rider)...  Not saying that they would not have been successful, but without HP, it would have been a lot harder!

I wouldn't have said she was the only author to bridge the children and adult markets, she may have been the most successful, or the highest profile author to do so, but others have done so as well (and Philip Pullman, as an example, was doing it before Rowling came along).
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 31 2007, 01:34 PM)
I wouldn't have said she was the only author to bridge the children and adult markets, she may have been the most successful, or the highest profile author to do so, but others have done so as well (and Philip Pullman, as an example, was doing it before Rowling came along).

Sorry... should have clarified... She's the first person in a very long time to get that amount of kids interested in the written word as opposed to TV/Radio/Gaming!
maian
QUOTE (Svein @ Dec 31 2007, 01:04 PM)
Sorry...  should have clarified...    She's the first person in a very long time to get that amount of kids interested in the written word as opposed to TV/Radio/Gaming!

In the article that Zoe posted a while back, Stephen King pointed out that R.L. Stine did the same thing only a few years before Rowling did. He didn't have quite the same level of critical recognition, though he was the best-selling children's author of all time as of 2003, or had the cross-generational appeal of Rowling but he got a huge number of children into reading.
Ingram
Definitely some sort of disanalogy at work there between R.L. Stine and J.K. Rowling. Surely it has more to do with the number of books as well - Stine having produced dozens. I remember very little about the Goosebumps series, his most famous (I believe), but they seemed very samey and monotonous and so I never returned to them. I can't quite put my finger on it but it seems generally disanalogous to talk about the two authors as accomplishing the same.
maian
I'm not saying that they are the same in terms of quality, just that Stine did manage to get children reading in a similar way to how Rowling did. Of course, Rowling's work far outshone that of Stine's, which I too found dull and repetitive, but he did manage to get a lot of children into reading. And, in the context of what Svein said about Rowling being the first author in a long time to really get children into reading, the achievement of Stine should not be dismissed in quantitative terms, even if they can't be compared qualitatively.
Raven
Last 'Potter' film to be split in two?.

One of the pluses of the film series is that they have managed to cut out the flab from the books and condense their stories down to something more palatable.

Does this mean the first film will basically be Harry, Ron and Hermione go camping?
Baz
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 15 2008, 01:41 PM)
Last 'Potter' film to be split in two?.

One of the pluses of the film series is that they have managed to cut out the flab from the books and condense their stories down to something more palatable. 

Does this mean the first film will basically be Harry, Ron and Hermione go camping?

WHY?

They can just get rid of pretty much the whole first half of teh seven book and have the rest of the film as the big battle.
Raven
They could certainly leave out the Dumbledore plot without losing anything in a film.
Zoe
I saw the last film recently, I liked it exactly as much as all the others except Azkaban which I actually quite like, and they're suddenly all so old.

I have a feeling the last films are going to look a wee bit ridiculous. They're growing up at varying rates, but all ahead of their characters. Some of them look about 30.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 15 2008, 03:20 PM)
I saw the last film recently, I liked it exactly as much as all the others except Azkaban which I actually quite like, and they're suddenly all so old.

I have a feeling the last films are going to look a wee bit ridiculous. They're growing up at varying rates, but all ahead of their characters. Some of them look about 30.

When I saw Goblet of Fire with a friend of mine we both said ''Looks like Ron's been hitting the gym in the weeks since he last saw Harry.''
Zoe
I would be infinitely more behind this series were it called 'Ron Weasley and the...'

I particularly liked it when he told Harry to "piss off".

Woooooooooo
gulfcoast_highwayman
I might have asked this before, but after re-watching most of the first film this weekend, what happens to Harry's huge bank balance?

Is it covered in the books?
maian
He stays rich throughout the books. He invests some money in a Joke shop that the Weasley twins plan to open but he never really seems to spend all that much money.
Zoe
He's rich?

I like him a bit more.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 15 2008, 01:41 PM)

Looks like it. As much as I like JK, people seem pretty reluctant to cut the flab from her stories. This last book could be condensed considerably as there are tons of unecessary scenes and the last 3 books are all too long. I think this is a shame but probably because nobody wants to throw away the golden words through editing.

Zoe - there are few genuine poor folks in Wizardy lands. The Weasleys are poorer but Harry gets rich through accident mainly. An ineffectual plot device but there you have it. Film Ron is much better than Book Ron because he is more cool. JK can't do cool that well hence her trendy character of Tonks gets on everyone's nerves. The books are for kids really. Not the likes of me. And i do like them ... honest!

Although, I find it funny that there are (apparently) swathes of American youths who believe British people under 40 are actually called things like Luna and Neville and Fred.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.