Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Harry Potter Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Raven
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 15 2008, 07:14 PM)
Although, I find it funny that there are (apparently) swathes of American youths who believe British people under 40 are actually called things like Luna and Neville and Fred.

I know quite a few Tonks . . .
Svein
I don't know if this has been posted before, but this is some of the funniest shit I have ever read...

Voldemort = Christ?!?
empathy-with-beast
In a particularly distasteful and lewd display, Potter tries to tempt the rightfully furious Angel by raising his pant leg and showing him his nude ankle. In this way the Harry Potter books contribute to the hidden gay agenda. When this temptation is refused, he has a malignant house spirit who embodies all the evils of stem-cell research curse the angel down.

That is brilliant. When does Harry show off his ankles?
logger
Is someone raped in Harry Potter?

edit:
Nothing good can come of this. Our country is now beleaguered in the Harry Potter merchandize, colorfully, festively almost announcing the arrival of the anti-Christ. The worst product available to corrupt our youth was Potter's vibrating broomstick, now taken off the market under pressure of Christian parents because it taught young girls how to abuse themselves and awoke their interest in the sins of the flesh. This is damage that cannot be undone.

I don't know where to begin. huh.gif
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (logger @ Feb 13 2008, 05:11 PM)
Is someone raped in Harry Potter?

Your soul, by Satan.
Svein
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Feb 13 2008, 06:04 PM)

I did wonder about that...

Damn that saucy Harry... flashing a bit of ankle and young Malfoy...

I must admit I read this and I snorted Pepsi all over the place...

I wasn't even drinking Pepsi!
empathy-with-beast
I must admit I related to the bit where she said she prayed to God before reading the books. I often find myself saying "Oh Jesus Christ, why am I reading another Harry Potter book?"
lola
Apparently there's a character called Nearly Headless Dick in the books too. Funny, I'm sure he was called Nick. Doesn't fit the theory nearly so well though
Svein
That's what you have to love about fundies... they ignore facts because if ignore facts and make this shit up as you go, you don't have to ever be "wrong"!!!!
Svein
Did you notice there's an email address... laugh.gif
Baz
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Feb 13 2008, 05:04 PM)

Chamber of Secrets, near the end to free Dobby the house elf.

rolleyes.gif
maian
All the way through that, I couldn't help but think ''Does she really believe this? Really?'' It just seems like something someone would do as a piss take, so ludicrous are the claims and so tenuous are their links to either the Potter books or actual Christian teachings.

Well, that's fundamentalists for you.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Svein @ Feb 13 2008, 04:37 PM)
I don't know if this has been posted before, but this is some of the funniest shit I have ever read...

Voldemort = Christ?!?

You can't spell "fundamental" without "mental"! Ahh, my stomach is hurting through laughing so hard. happy.gif
Raven
Rowling 'exploited' by book plan.

Whilst I agree that Rowling has the right to protect her work, this just smacks of greed to me.

An unofficial encyclopaedia hitting the shops before hers isn't going to dent sales of her own effort, fans of the series will still buy her version because of the promised extra material, so who is this hurting?

She was pretty dismissive of Dave Langford's Potter criticism/speculation book last year, and now this.

Okay, so the chap is making financial gain out of her work, but that's been going on with unofficial guides for years - why should the Potter universe be treated any differently?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 29 2008, 12:16 PM)
Okay, so the chap is making financial gain out of her work, but that's been going on with unofficial guides for years - why should the Potter universe be treated any differently?

Because JK Rowling's a cunt.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Surely it's about protection of the intellectual property isn't it?

If she allows them to get away with their unlicensed product, doesn't that set the precedent for anyone else to do the same?
Starscream`s Ghost
But as Raven's said, unofficial guides have been about for ages on all properties. Most people seem not to care, but Rowling does.
Mrs Bisley
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Feb 13 2008, 08:43 PM)
You can't spell "fundamental" without "mental"! Ahh, my stomach is hurting through laughing so hard. happy.gif

The bit that really got me was: "he has a malignant house spirit who embodies all the evils of stem-cell research curse the angel down."

From then on, I've never laughed that much in my life. laugh.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Feb 29 2008, 12:20 PM)
Because JK Rowling's a cunt.

Easy with the language there please, Glenn.

QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 29 2008, 12:21 PM)
Surely it's about protection of the intellectual property isn't it?

If she allows them to get away with their unlicensed product, doesn't that set the precedent for anyone else to do the same?

I think there is a difference between people profiting by making up new stories in her universe, and people writing criticism or guides.

If you look up Harry Potter reference books on Amazon you will find a host of them, she hasn't tried to block publication of those, so why is she trying to block this? It's not making up anything about the Potter universe, and it's not publishing anything that isn't already available on the net.

It's only "crime", as far as I can see, is that it is getting its foot in the door before her own effort.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 29 2008, 12:47 PM)
Easy with the language there please, Glenn.

Apologies, but the woman really winds me up. She's a very lucky woman who has made a lot of money on something not brilliant, and yet she still seems to want more.

Greed is perhaps the worst emotion, or drive.
Zoe
I am driven by avarice and lust.

Like Simon Cowell.
Raven
'Potter' set breached by streakers.

Must have made a nice change for Radcliffe, not being the one in the buff . . .
princess_shrek
Is this out in paperback yet?
Raven
The Deathly Hollows? No, and I can't see a publication date for it on Amazon - sometime this summer?
Chapman Baxter
July 5th, apparently.
Raven
Final Potter film 'split in half'

Now that is cashing in. Given what has been cut out of the series so far, there are whole chunks of the final book that could be removed safely without harming the plot.

So does this mean the first film will largely consist of Harry, Ron and Hermione sitting around in a tent arguing with each other?
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 13 2008, 11:02 AM)
Final Potter film 'split in half'

Now that is cashing in.  Given what has been cut out of the series so far, there are whole chunks of the final book that could be removed safely without harming the plot.

So does this mean the first film will largely consist of Harry, Ron and Hermione sitting around in a tent arguing with each other?

You beat me to it...

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, innit mate?
Raven
They could take out most of the Dumbledore subplot, it may be interesting to the reader but it's not strickly necessary for the main thrust of the plot.
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 13 2008, 12:37 PM)
They could take out most of the Dumbledore subplot, it may be interesting to the reader but it's not strickly necessary for the main thrust of the plot.

Perhaps, although I think the Dumbledore backstory is something that needs to be told. He's one of the least developed characters in the films (so far) and if you're going to do 2 movies, then tell his strory....

But that's just one viking's opinion.
Raven
There's a lot more they could cut out as well, pretty much everything between them leaving the Dursleys and getting to the Weasleys could be removed without too much hardship, it would be pairing the film down to a bare-bones story, but that approach hasn't spoilt the last few films.

If you think about it, the destruction of the Horcruxes and the pursuit of Voldmort are the main parts of the book, and most of that doesn't really take place until the second half of the book anyway.
Svein
But, on the other side of it, if you don't have the Dumbledore story, then you won't have the really cool Nagini scene in Harry's hometown.
Raven
And that would be a loss why? If memory serves it was a complete red herring for the main plot.
Svein
Maybe... but it'll look really cool.... That was one of the scenes that I remember having a really wicked visualisation for...
curtinparloe
What are the odds on one of the two films being called Brokeback Hogwarts?
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 13 2008, 10:02 AM)

Well, I know which half I won't be going to see...
Raven
Beedle the Bard Ballad Writing Contest.

Win a weekend with a book!
monkeyman
1.9 million.....
Raven
JK Rowling pens Potter 'prequel' - not as exciting as it sounds, it's another one-off for charity job.
weputthemdown583
Hogwarts Express Spotting - and the London Landmark
Raven
Half Blood Prince Pictures.
Baz
Half Blood Prince trailer

Looks good.
Peronel
That's great! I'm glad they've focused on that side of the story for the trailer.
Raven
Yes, two minutes of hormonal teenagers snogging would have been a bit much!
Bloomeeney
Royal performance too
Peronel
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 30 2008, 07:14 PM)
Yes, two minutes of hormonal teenagers snogging would have been a bit much!

For you, maybe.
ella
Oooooh! When is it out?
Baz
QUOTE (ella @ Jul 30 2008, 10:10 AM)
Oooooh! When is it out?

November 21st I think.
ella
Excellent, excellent. I think that I might have to re-read the book though before I see it. Can't remember a blinkin' thing about it.
melzilla
Yay. Cool little trailer. Definitely looking forward to this one.
widowspider
QUOTE (Baz @ Jul 30 2008, 08:51 AM)

Oooh, I like that. I hope they really focus on that aspect of the book for the film, it's certainly the most interesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.