Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Harry Potter Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Baz
Well It's about time I started one of these (mainly for me and Mizzie to blabble on and on) as today, the release date for the 6th book will be announced!

EEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy

*Faints*

Ahem, ok. It was on JKs website that she was going to tell the relase date on Christmas day, but she has decided not too, as most people will be busy. It's going to happen today. You can read a little news bit here.

So she's finshed book six now and she's said some one will die again. My bet it will be Wormtail as I can't see her killing any main characters of untill the 7th book, although she has said that book 6 and 7 are pretty much one long book.

Oh and the 3rd film was the best out the lot so far. wink.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
Thanks for posting this Baz. I've been dying to know when the next book is out.

My prediction for the death is that it will be one of the Weaslys. Maybe Percy.
Dumbledore is bound to die in the 7th book.
vixta
was it not sacreligious for the third film to make such shite use of David Thewlis, Gary Oldman and Tinothy Spall though?
Baz
QUOTE (vixta @ Dec 21 2004, 11:46 AM)
was it not sacreligious for the third film to make such shite use of David Thewlis, Gary Oldman and Tinothy Spall though?

No, I thought they were good. the thing that annoyed me was leaving out very small plot details that would of cleared up a lot of confussion for people who haven't read the books, like when Lupin take the map of Harry. How does he know how to use it? It isn't explained, or the fact that he was one the people that wrote it!
Baz
And the release date from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is...............

Saturday July 16th!

biggrin.gif

Can't wait myself!!!!

A bit on the BBC new site here
Lazlo Woodbine
omg omg omg omg omg......
:checks watch:
omg omg omg omg.....
:checks watch again:
Baz
I've just pre-ordered a first edition from the Bloomsbury site.

£19.74 in total inc P&P.

biggrin.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
Argh, i can't order because i can't remember the security code for my card!
Baz
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 21 2004, 01:54 PM)
Argh, i can't order because i can't remember the security code for my card!

It will be on the back of your card. It's the end 3 numbers.
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 21 2004, 01:32 PM)
I've just pre-ordered a first edition from the Bloomsbury site.

£19.74 in total inc P&P.
biggrin.gif

Why did you do that when you'll probably be able to buy it for a tenner in Smiths?

I'm surprised the release date is so far off to be honest, last time it only took Bloomsbury a couple of months to get the book out there after Rowling finished it (from memory anyway . . . ).

Here's hoping it's better paced than the last one smile.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 21 2004, 02:58 PM)
It will be on the back of your card. It's the end 3 numbers.

I know but it's worn away to nothing due to overuse. It's completely unreadable. wacko.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
J.K. Rowling added more spice to the occasion by unveiling some excerpts from the novel:

1. Half-Blood Prince was neither Harry nor Voldemort.
2. She also told names of three of the chapter titles:
• Chapter two - Spinners End
• Chapter six - Draco’s Detour
• Chapter 14 - Felix Felicis
3. And there’ll be a new Minister for Magic.

Rowling has plans to release one more Harry Potter novel after Half-Blood Prince. She has already written the last chapter of the seventh book, where she describes what happens to the characters who survive until the end.
Raven
If you read the article on the BBC's web site she's also bumping off another character (so expect many a false dawns before the axe finally falls . . . rolleyes.gif ).

You can read more here.
Baz
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 21 2004, 02:02 PM)
Why did you do that when you'll probably be able to buy it for a tenner in Smiths?

I'm surprised the release date is so far off to be honest, last time it only took Bloomsbury a couple of months to get the book out there after Rowling finished it (from memory anyway . . . ).

Here's hoping it's better paced than the last one smile.gif

Cause it's a first edition, which means it will probably have a load of misprints in it and I can then sell it on eBay for a few quid.

And the time between the annoucement of the book release to the release of the book, is pretty much the same as the last book, barr a month.
Baz
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 21 2004, 02:22 PM)
J.K. Rowling added more spice to the occasion by unveiling some excerpts from the novel:

1. Half-Blood Prince was neither Harry nor Voldemort.
2. She also told names of three of the chapter titles:
• Chapter two - Spinners End
• Chapter six - Draco’s Detour
• Chapter 14 - Felix Felicis
3. And there’ll be a new Minister for Magic.

Rowling has plans to release one more Harry Potter novel after Half-Blood Prince. She has already written the last chapter of the seventh book, where she describes what happens to the characters who survive until the end.

I've got so many theories on what's going to happen in book 6, I could be here all day. wacko.gif

But there are already lots of things that we already know is going to happen in book 6. But I can't rememebr them all so go over to mugglenet and they have a section on there site with what will happen in book 6, as JK has already told us. Plus there a re a few other things that can be worked out.
Amazongirl
Mugglenet is great, I like reading the funny quotes form the books

Those who have known me here for years will know im huge Harry potter book fan and spend most of my time in a long serious convosation about them and spaced with my best mate.

Ill be reserving mine asap in whsmiths (like most of ther country) ASAP but there really isnt any point as
A) every where will have billions of copies
B) stupid deposit (still am reserving though)
C) Me and my best mate have been in the front of the queue for all the hp films and last book(waited outside for about 5 hours and was 5+6th to get books). The local newspaper reporters know us well now because of it (they remember us)and anoy us with threatening of taking photos.

Dead excited, have loads of theories im ready to discuss
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 21 2004, 02:33 PM)
Cause it's a first edition, which means it will probably have a load of misprints in it and I can then sell it on eBay for a few quid.

Won't there be like millions of them though? I'm sure my copy of Goblet of Fire is a first edition - wos the difference? huh.gif
Baz
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 21 2004, 04:54 PM)
Won't there be like millions of them though? I'm sure my copy of Goblet of Fire is a first edition - wos the difference?  huh.gif

First editions are always worth shed loads more. As far as I'm aware, you can only get the first editions from the publisher, but I may be wrong.

There the first print of the book, and they have always been misprints in all the first editions of the HP series and even with the first book, some of the pages were upside down!!

They'll be a few thousand copies of first editions I'm sure. Lot's of people claim on eBay that they have first editions, but there not. You can tell by the serial number printed on the inside of the book, but I can't rememebr how the numbers run.

I think it's 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 etc or xxxxxxxxx,321 for first editions.

EDIT:

Just taken this from the Bloomsbury site

First Editions

How can I tell if I have a first edition copy of any of books?
On the copyright page of the book, located in the pages at the beginning of the book before the story starts, there will be a row of numbers at the bottom of the page. The numbers run consecutively from right to left. The number at the furthest right hand side tells you the edition number. The row of numbers in a first edition looks like this:
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Or if it reads, for example, 20 19 18 17 then this is the 17th printing.
UK first edition copies of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix only (hardback and special edition versions but not large print) have the words First Edition printed in place of the numbers.

All the hardback first editions except for the first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone have dust jackets.

Which first edition books are worth the most money?
The first editions of the original hardbacks (not the large print or special editions) have fetched the largest sums at auction. The special editions can also be worth a little more than the cover price. Speak to an auction house or antiquarian book dealer for more information or a valuation.

Lazlo Woodbine
Mu copy of 'Order of the Phoenix' says it's a first edition and i bought that from Amazon. I think i'll buy my copy from there again and save a little money.
voodoolinzi
Ooooh! I like this thread! biggrin.gif
I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, and have been since the first one came out and one of my primary school teachers told me I should read it. My fave is Prisoner of Azkaban, although I'm not really sure why. I was disappointed with the films, from a purely selfish point-of-view, because they we're nothing like I imagined it should be. But I still love the books, and can't wait for the 6th one!
Lazlo Woodbine
Films never are, but considering the limitations of runing time and having to work with so many child actors the films turned out about as well as anyone could have hoped. Especially 'the Prisoner of Azkaban'.
voodoolinzi
I think that was the main problem... the running time limits. The next film (Goblet of Fire) was going to be seperated into two seperate films, but the new director has apparently now decided that it should just be one film. They'll never fit everything in - book 4 is about 800 pages long! wacko.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
It would have been nice to get extra long extended versions on the dvds Lord of the Rings style. I think the next HP film is gonna be the longest of the 4 but there's stil so much they're gonna have to cut.
Chapman Baxter
I think the reason that the first edition of the first book is worth so much is that there were only about 200 copies printed. The print runs of the subsequent books were much larger. First editions of the Order of the Phoenix are going for about eight quid on abebooks.co.uk at the moment.

I'm not sure how I'm going the get Half-Blood Prince. I've ordered all the previous books from Amazon, and had them delivered on the morning of publication, but the post is getting so unreliable these days that I'm not sure I'lll risk it.
Baz
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 21 2004, 06:22 PM)
It would have been nice to get extra long extended versions on the dvds Lord of the Rings style.  I think the next HP film is gonna be the longest of the 4 but there's stil so much they're gonna have to cut.

Chris Columbus, director of the first 2 films is supposed to be working on re-releasing them in there full un-cut forms.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 22 2004, 11:33 AM)
Chris Columbus, director of the first 2 films is supposed to be working on re-releasing them in there full un-cut forms.

Ooh, that's good news. Are there more deleteted scenes than the ones included in the extras do you know?
Baz
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 22 2004, 10:38 AM)
Ooh, that's good news.  Are there more deleteted scenes than the ones included in the extras do you know?

There are a few.

I remember Rik Mayall being very pissed off because he played Peeves and filmed all his scenes etc, and then was cut from the film altoghter, not pleasing his kids!!

I want to see that put back in the film as I've always seen him as playing Peeves when reading the books.

EDIT:

Just had a quick look on a few Potter sites, and The 6th book has already shoot to the top of the best sellers list in the U.S, and it only went on pre-order release yesterday!
Lazlo Woodbine
Didn't Peeves appear in one of the first 2 films? I seem to remember him throwing things from a rooftop but don't think it was Rik Mayall. I guess that must have been the 2nd film or just in my head.
Still, that's a release to look forward to. Now if only Alfonso Cuaron were to do the same thing...
Baz
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 22 2004, 12:44 PM)
Didn't Peeves appear in one of the first 2 films?  I seem to remember him throwing things from a rooftop but don't think it was Rik Mayall.  I guess that must have been the 2nd film or just in my head.
Still, that's a release to look forward to.  Now if only Alfonso Cuaron were to do the same thing...

No Peeves isn't in the released version of the first 2 films, unless you've seen a different cut. huh.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 22 2004, 02:24 PM)
No Peeves isn't in the released version of the first 2 films, unless you've seen a different cut.  huh.gif

Maybe it was a deleted scene. Once again i am left cursing my terrible memory in a post.
Baz
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Dec 22 2004, 02:36 PM)
Maybe it was a deleted scene.  Once again i am left cursing my terrible memory in a post.

Nah he isn't in the delted scenes on the dvd, unless there are ones that I've missed as you have to do that stupid puzzle thing to get to the bloody things in the first place.

Which reminds me, I need to write a letter to Warner Bros to complain. tongue.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
I'm probably just transfering my memory of the book to an imaginary film version or something. I tend to do these sort of things.
Amazongirl
He was cut friom both, but in the first ever showings of both films in the cinema had his name in the cast listings.

Azkaban is my favorite book, I love the 4rth just as much (because of the yule ball and all the ron/hermione stuff as well as lots of other stuff). I think its becausefor a chane Voldermort wasnt the bad guy and the fact I like crime programs so i was guessing clues all the way through, bloody obvious but I over looked or decided not to think about when i first read it.

One slightly bad thing about me as since i was little I've been interestend in legends and mythical creatures so I can kinda guess things. I have a horrible feeling that Lupin is going to dimise thanks to Wormtails silver hand given to him by mr voldy-pants at the end of book 4
Baz
If you want to see a picture of how Rita Skeeter will look in the 4th film, then click here.

I must say, she looks nothing like how I imagined her to look like.

I saw her with a 50s style look and black hair, with those 50s style glasses.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 5 2005, 12:49 PM)
If you want to see a picture of how Rita Skeeter will look in the 4th film, then click here.

Yeah, i imagined her with dark hair too. With a slightly different shape of glasses. Not sure if they're 50's style or not though.
Cheers for the pic.
Baz
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Jan 5 2005, 11:54 AM)
Yeah, i imagined her with dark hair too. With a slightly different shape of glasses.  Not sure if they're 50's style or not though.
Cheers for the pic.

I saw her glasses looking something like these.

Stella MM
That's pretty much how I saw her, except perhaps a bit dowdier and less groomed.

Is that Miranda Richardson?
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 5 2005, 01:08 PM)
I saw her glasses looking like these.

Those are the ones. smile.gif
Baz
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Jan 5 2005, 12:10 PM)

I'm not sure. Just looked on a cast list for the film and the character isn't listed. huh.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Jan 5 2005, 01:10 PM)
That's pretty much how I saw her, except perhaps a bit dowdier and less groomed.

I can't even think who she is, though i know the name...
Tiffany_Aching
QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 5 2005, 12:49 PM)

She is a bit younger than I imagined, and I saw her with dark hair too. Perhaps with Dame Edina's glasses aswell. biggrin.gif

Is it my imagation or can I see abit a Mrs Weasley in her from that picture?!?!

I think I need a lie down in a darkened room. huh.gif
Baz
QUOTE (Tiffany_Aching @ Jan 5 2005, 12:57 PM)
Is it my imagation or can I see abit a Mrs Weasley in her from that picture?!?!

That's what I first thought when I saw the picture.

I just hope she acts the way I imagine her too, otherwise I'll be very annoyed.
Tiffany_Aching
Thank God for that, I thought I was going a crazy!

biggrin.gif
widowspider
it's whatsherface, used to be married to les dennis. forgotten her name, bollocks.
i think she looks about how i imagined, hadn't thought about hair colour too much to be honest!
i was born to play nymphadora tonks in book 5...i'd better get the part or there'll be trouble. anyone know where/how to find out about auditions for harry potter stuff?
Tiffany_Aching
They said that the casting will be later this year for it as the film is not due to come out until July 2007. I will let you know if I hear any thing else. smile.gif

I want the next book now sad.gif
Baz
Acording to some fan site, the directoer of the 4th film has said they are 75% done on the filming. they estimated that it would talk 160 days tio film and they've now been filming for 125 days.

I'm hoping we'll get some kind of teaser trailer soon.
whixie
My friend did work experience on the latest one and he sat in Dumbledore's chair. How very cool. He also tried to get himself onto the special features by having some of Daniel Radcliffe's birthday cake. We're going to get the DVD when it comes out and try to spot him in the background.
Lazlo Woodbine
I thought i read in Total Film that they'd finished the actual filming. They're probably wrong. Or i am. I can't check, i left it in work.
Did your uni set that placement up Whixie?
whixie
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Jan 6 2005, 05:20 PM)
Did your uni set that placement up Whixie?

Ha! As if. No, he did it himself. They don't set anything up for you, despite a whole module on how to get work experience.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (whixie @ Jan 6 2005, 06:21 PM)
Ha!  As if.  No, he did it himself.  They don't set anything up for you, despite a whole module on how to get work experience.

He didn't do too bad for himself to set that up then. How long did you do yours for? Was it just a couple wek thing or was it a big part of the course?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.