Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I AM MUSICIAN!
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Pages: 1, 2
franktherabbit
hi.
i'm in a little local band known as "otis avenue" and i'm proud to say that (out of 15 bands) that we've been chosen into the elite top six and are competing in a battle of the bands on january 29th. oi! i'm friggin excited! (i play bass)

are you in a band?!
if so, post here! tell us a little about your band and its members.
i'd love to hear from you.
smile.gif
Justincredible
i used to play drums in a hardcore band here in VA. We were once scheduled to play with the legendary metalcore greats ZAO, but the show got cancelled! (I kept the flyer that has us on the bill tho, its hanging on my closet door).
spookytwigg
I play bass.... My best claim to fame so far was in the band "Rude Boy Dave" who played at the wulfrun hall in wolverhampton (it was a battle of the bands thing...)

I've currently just started a new band.... So new we haven't even got a name yet! tongue.gif
frostitute
I can play the spoons at work.

And I can make that popping sound with my mouth.
mabaker
i used to be in a band with four other people. i was the only girl and was bass player and second guitarist. It was cool while it lasted but sadly it's ended.. people went to uni.. i joined wrestling and now the bands back together minus me. i don't mind though... it's all good.
Cult_Status02
My band, Evil Illegal, hails from Southern Illinois near St. Louis, MO. We have 3 people: Myself, brandon, and Jon. I play the drums guitar and piano, in the band I play the drums, brandon guitar, and Jon sings. We let our friends play shows with us if they feel like it so we usually have about 4 people for each show, though only us 3 are permanent. I think if you search for Evil Illegal on google you'll get a link to a webpage where you can hear a song from us. Chow.
spookytwigg
Oh yeah, So its known to all, My band have a name now! tongue.gif We're called "the kings of things", There are three members so far. We have four songs of our own and an Elvis over to our name tongue.gif... We're kind of "street punk"/ska kinda stuff... but without the need for 8 members in the band tongue.gif

The website is www.thekingsofthings.cjb.net ... But currently It's pretty bare tongue.gif
whixie
Nobody wants a flautist in their band sad.gif

I did play guitar very badly in a rubbish band with some friends. It was fun and we still do it sometimes. It's mostly silly songs now.
spacemonkey
I've played guitar for just more than 10 years now and am a vocalist.

Go out busking every now and then for a bit of extra pocket money, it's not bad.

Done stage work and recording. Just playing for fun mainly now. wouldn't mind going back into the studio though, I do have a couple of songs that I want to showcase
Starscream`s Ghost
I can sing, really well, but I`ve never been in a band, I`d like to be/have been, but it`s just never worked out that way. Nevermind, there`s always karaoke...
Ohio_is_for_lovers
I can sing and play guitar ( well badly for the guitar bit) ive not been in a band although Tom and Nathan asked me., hehe. Oh well, yay adam and joe show.
Simsydav
I play Bass too.

Altough I would say Im in a band. Im in 5, one of them I play acoustic guitar, because its easy. I have done a couple of gigs, but nothing major.

Playing in a band is great, even better than playing an instrument, I get a massive buzz out of playing a line up of songs with other people, its great, hard to explain.

Do you use fingerstyle or a pick? I use fingerstyle.
Duncan

My band, ChickenWing.
le plat
I sing and play keyboard and I piss about with midi programs like Reason. Sometimes I get drunk and think I can play the guitar, but alas that is not true.

I also have one of those Kaoss pads which is great fun, but I'm not in a band at the moment so it doesn't get much use. I'm moving house in a couple of weeks and would like to meet some musicians near my new place. I think a guitarist and a cellist would do.
mngene
I play bass and guitar. Don't play either regularly lately. Just screw around on the guitar really. I am much better and intuitive at the bass. May be putting something together in the near future, but mainly just play for fun.
franktherabbit
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Jan 23 2005, 09:33 AM)
I play Bass too.

Do you use fingerstyle or a pick? I use fingerstyle.

hooray! fingerstyle is really the only way to go. pick sounds too pop-ish, too..erm...structured...does anyone get what i'm saying?

huh.gif
Simsydav
Hopefully we will be hearing less of that, hooray, Busted are extinct!

Blink 182 do it allot aswell... (aswell as bands like Busted)
Justincredible
What i would LOVE to do is become the next deep-throated screamer in the next big hardcore band... like It Dies Today sounding type guy. That would rule.

Finger bass is waaaay better than pick. You should hear the band called Between The Buried And Me. I know their bassist personally... and even if you don't like metal/hardcore music, he is a SICk bassist. He does all finger style. And their songs are sooo fast and have like more than 50 parts and time changes all over teh place. Its nuts to watch live.
spookytwigg
Yeah But finger style aint good for everything though... I mean if you playing punk... Simple and thrasy... You wanna do it with a pick... Or at least I do anyway tongue.gif
NoShow
I'm in a band called Clist. I sing and play baritone guitar and sometimes keyboards. It's a trio (until I can find us a proper bass player again) and we love(d) Mclusky and The Birthday Party. If you're bored as nails, we have a crap site at www.lookblood.com and one of those lovely MySpace thingies at www.myspace.com/clist/ . Let's see...what else can I say...Nashville represent? Nah. Umm...holla!

cheers,
jonathan
mngene
QUOTE (spookytwigg @ Jan 28 2005, 10:28 AM)
Yeah But finger style aint good for everything though... I mean if you playing punk... Simple and thrasy... You wanna do it with a pick... Or at least I do anyway tongue.gif

Hear that, my friend wants me to play in his band. He asked me if I played fingerstyle or pick. I replied fingers. That's when he said - oh dude, your going to need a pick, cause the stuff is so fast your forearm will fall off using you fingers.
franktherabbit
QUOTE (franktherabbit @ Jan 14 2005, 10:40 PM)
hi.
i'm in a little local band known as "otis avenue" and i'm proud to say that (out of 15 bands) that we've been chosen into the elite top six and are competing in a battle of the bands on january 29th.  oi!  i'm friggin excited!  (i play bass)

wow...just quoted myself.

just thought i'd let you all know that we won the battle last night!! woo hoo! it was so much fun and the crowd was huuuuuuuuge. we won a guitar, a new keyboard, a music program for the computer, a day on the john lennon tour bus, recording time (to record a song), and we get to make a video! oi! i'm so excited!!!!

--mitch
Ohio_is_for_lovers
QUOTE (franktherabbit @ Jan 30 2005, 04:14 PM)
wow...just quoted myself.

just thought i'd let you all know that we won the battle last night!! woo hoo!  it was so much fun and the crowd was huuuuuuuuge.  we won a guitar, a new keyboard, a music program for the computer, a day on the john lennon tour bus, recording time (to record a song), and we get to make a video!  oi!  i'm so excited!!!!

--mitch

Well done, thats some darn good stuff you won and thats good out of 15 bands, well done biggrin.gif
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Justincredible @ Jan 28 2005, 05:07 AM)
What i would LOVE to do is become the next deep-throated screamer in the next big hardcore band... like It Dies Today sounding type guy.  That would rule.

Have you heard of a band called Beecher? One of my friends knows the vocalist (used to play football with him apparently).
SuperSaiyanStoner
What i would LOVE to do is become the next deep-throated screamer in the next big hardcore band... like It Dies Today sounding type guy.  That would rule.

you want to be in a deep throat hardcore band?

Sounds messy to me
loma
i used to sing in punk/hxc bands, but now i'm an eclectic dj. i play anything from 80s synth pop to dnb, breaks and hiphop, with a splash of jazz, electro, soul, funk and swing. add some easy-listening and some turntablin, simmer, and cook up smile.gif
Philipo
I used to play guitar in a punk band, but in the only gig we ever played i got too pissed on vodka and played the songs to fast for the rest of the band to keep up, then i fell off the stage...oh the shame wacko.gif

I play bass and guitar now just for fun laugh.gif
pots
QUOTE (Philipo @ Feb 6 2005, 10:55 PM)
I used to play guitar in a punk band, but in the only gig we ever played i got too pissed on vodka and played the songs to fast for the rest of the band to keep up, then i fell off the stage...oh the shame wacko.gif

what do you mean 'shame'?

THATS PUNK!

when i was in a band falling offstage drunk was my speciality.
iranspaced
I play bass is a band thats just started out(we dont have a drummer or a name) im not sure what we play but we play it lengthy...and very loud. the first track that we've 'written' (i use the term loosely) lasted 27 minutes.
Ohio_is_for_lovers
Im the singer in my band, we are called the new trend, kinda punk/punk rock/rock etc. Theres me, blair on drums, liam on lead guitar, tom on rhythm guitar and nathan on bass, our sites gonna be finally up properly on saturday, yay! A songwriter is also writing us a song apparently and we are using his flat as a practice room biggrin.gif Our covers the offspring - the kids arent allright, now you are all suitably bored, ill be quiet. mellow.gif
Simsydav
After the exams coming up, Im gonna be dying.

I have recently been asked to join my sisters boyfreinds band, when Im off crutches and the exams are gone. That makes it 5 bands now.

Oh, and just to see what itll be like, being inspired by Death From Above 1979, some of my many bass playing freinds have decided to create a band, but one of them has chikend out, so hes getting his other freind to do it (none of us know him apart from us). Its a 3 bass band, with a drummer. Hopefully we can have a laugh. I think Im gonna be doing the melody, with all the effects, and therell be a riffer, you can do it on bass, just not so good, and I think Jaimie, the one who chickend out, will be dumped with simply beats.

At least we can have fun.

None of the bands that Im in have names, in each one of them, theyve got stuck.

Ones a 3 part band, that was the one that got me to play bass.
Theres another 3 part, the guitarist and drummer, the other two, hehe, are REALLY really good.
Then theres my little band, oh, this one had a temporary name, I still like it, but it annoys the singer, called the Drac Pac. Anyway, we had to change that. I play acoustic guitar in that one, and theres the singer, and an electronic violinist.
Then theres the one that I have just joined, my sisters boyfreinds band, havent done anything with them yet, because of my hip, and Ive only just been asked, they play punk stuff.
And then theres our 'experiment' as I said earlier.

So Im gonna be a busy bee in a few months.

I really want to do some hard stuff, like Machine Head, but I cant get anyone with a voice that 'right'. They all end up like some wannabe emo person, screaming into the mic, sounding like all theyll be singing is 'I hate you, mum' type crap.
Link
I've had a varied musical upbringing...

I had piano lessons aged 5, which didn't last very long. When I was ten I took up the french horn, and played for the greenwich youth band (with our very own Widowspider!), but gave up when all the cool people left.

Since then I've been teaching myself piano and guitar, and have funky daydreams about playing gigs, but never actually get round to doing anything about it. I sang in my school choir, and had to sing a solo (with close harmony backing vocals) in front of the whole school. This probably remains the highlight of my career.
maian
I used to play violin but gave up after a while, that was about 8 years ago, then i took up guitar two years ago and haven't stopped playing since!

I've played acoustic gigs in pubs (whether they let me or not) and have formed a band at uni but we've not done all that much, i tend to just do my own thing and try and write songs
widowspider
QUOTE (Link @ Apr 1 2005, 08:52 PM)
When I was ten I took up the french horn, and played for the greenwich youth band (with our very own Widowspider!), but gave up when all the cool people left.

ie, me cool.gif

Ah, the fun times with GYB. The tours were one long alcohol-fest. I now can't drink tequila because of one of them, and it was 7 years ago wacko.gif
Space Pancakes
Im in a band called The Erased (shite name, I know) and im the lead vocals/guitarist. Playin gigs is the most scariest thing in my life cos i constantly think 'what if I get it wrong??' im paranoid like that
JeffStuka
QUOTE (Space Pancakes @ Apr 7 2005, 12:47 PM)
Im in a band called The Erased (shite name, I know) and im the lead vocals/guitarist. Playin gigs is the most scariest thing in my life cos i constantly think 'what if I get it wrong??' im paranoid like that

You could probably find a good band name on the band names thread. You never know, a nice person might let you use it. Don't worry about getting things wrong on stage otherwise you won't enjoy yourself and there's no point then.
true believer
taste me!

Except, of course, you can't. You can't even bloody hear me, yet. But you can see me holding a guitar and that's good enough for me.
LadyStardust
QUOTE (Duncan @ Jan 23 2005, 06:35 PM)

My band, ChickenWing.

That picture is really, really good!

I used to be in a band with 3 mates from school, we were called Gertrude. I was guitarist (mainly rhythm) and the other 3 guys played lead guitar, drums and bass. The bassist and lead guitarist are still together bandwise and have carried on the Gertrude name (which I chose!) smile.gif

I play guitar, bit of piano and violin, tin whistle... all self taught. I don't practice much hence I'm not much good at any of them (yet) but what I have done so far is impressive for my level (I'm a quick learner!).

I'm getting violin lessons soon hopefully cool.gif
Omniscia
I used to play the piano rather well, but then I had to discontinue lessons, and my skills have deteriorated somewhat in the meantime. I can still pick out a tune on the keys, though, but it is a bit more difficult than it used to be. Some day I'll have the time to resurrect my playing ability.

Otherwise, I'm a fairly skilled vocalist. I've been involved in school choruses and church choirs for as long as I can remember, and did a 3-year stint in a fairly renown local children's choir at one point. Of course, it had to be the year after I left that they went to Copenhagen to participate in a performance of Carmina Burana...

In high school, I was also in the chorus, as well as the very select, by-audition madrigal ensemble. During this period, I was also accepted to perform in the (again, audition-only) district choral festival, and from that went on to audition for and make the all-state choir (with a 90% score, which surely would have been higher had the rest of my quartet been in tune).

Recently, I have been involved in both the general university choir, a local church choir, and successfully auditioned for one of only two first-tenor spots in the university chamber choir. Regretfully, I did not have time to continue with that this year, but I've been keeping up my vocal prowess in the shower and through the local karaoke scene.
Hobbes
I am a pretty competent drummer (at least I think I am) and am very proud to be. Have been playing for 7 years now, but unfortunately am not, nor have ever been, in a band (apart from a couple of joke ones and one which I quit after 2 rehearsals because all they wanted to play were Korn covers - I HATE KORN). Also, I am particularly proud of my voice, as I can sing pretty good - if I was to be in a band I would prefer to be the singer/charasmatic frontman, but being a drummer is also OK by me. So: anyone on the forum from SE London who likes any kind of music (apart from heavy metal or trance) who plays an instrument and wants to be in a band, PM me!
epleboy
I'm in a band called Soma, we hail from North Yorkshire and play music that is nice on our ears. If you have the time give us a listen @ http://www.soma-band.tk or even better make your way down to a gig and introduce yourself to us, we are all very nice people and it would be dead lovely an' thaaaat.
Hobbes
You named your band after a song by The Strokes? Not even a brill one like Last Nite or Someday at that!
Why, why would you do that?
Also, you might get done if you guys get signed for copyright enfringement... not to burst your bubble or anything, I'm sure you guys rock!
epleboy
We didnt name ourselves after a Strokes song, it is merely pure coincidence... we named ourselves after the drug in the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. But yeah, we are gonna have to change our name soon, as there are already dozens of bands called soma. ah well.
Hobbes
Just string a really random selection of words together - lots of bands are doing that now: Eighties Matchbox... and Death From Above 1979 the most notable.

How about: The Finger Purple Rainbow Clock Moneybox Hounds?
or The Calendar Teabag Mirror Bedspread Explosion?
epleboy
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Apr 13 2005, 11:10 AM)
Just string a really random selection of words together - lots of bands are doing that now: Eighties Matchbox... and Death From Above 1979 the most notable.

How about: The Finger Purple Rainbow Clock Moneybox Hounds?
or The Calendar Teabag Mirror Bedspread Explosion?

hehe i love it, 'The Calendar Teabag Mirror Bedspread Explosion'... so so catchy. cool.gif i shall suggest it at the next practice tongue.gif
Hobbes
I think if you put anything inbetween 'The' and 'Explosion' you generally get a good name.

The Lynx Explosion
The teabag Explosion
The Death Explosion
The Below Explosion (or: The Explosion Below)
The Tongue Explosion

et cetera et cetera et cetera...
Starscream`s Ghost
The Penis Explosion?

That doesn`t sound good...
Hobbes
It sounds OK to me as a band name, but not as a condition.
epleboy
At leeds festival 2004, my mate Adam drunkenly called The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster the Eighties Beatbox Plaster Disaster. I think it is a huge improvement on the original name.

The Penis Explosion sounds like some horrible kind of death thrash hardcore metal malarky band.
kenickie
I'm not in a band or anything, but I like other peoples music - I tend to 'fiddle' with it. Go here to see what I mean....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.