Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black Books
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Jesse James
just wondering if any lovely person who owns the complete box set could tell me what special features the dvds have

neither amazon or play.com list them huh.gif
beatoswald
i'm i right in thinking that the boxset is just the normal dvds in a cardboard sleeve? if so, the 1st series has a cast commentary, out-takes, photo gallery, series 2 teaser trailer. 2nd series has out-takes, photo gallery, black dolls (a short episode with the dolls from the goliath books episode), cast commentary, series 3 reaser trailer. 3rd series - out-takes, deleted scenes, trailers, bernard's letter (b&w short), photo gallery.
Jesse James
thank you my good man, or woman happy.gif
beatoswald
anytime
spacegurl
anytime

argh! i didnt expect that.. biggrin.gif

i borrowed black books 2 off a friend and was dissapointed that it didnt have cast commentaries, the black dolls featurette thing or anything like the series 1 dvd. why does his version of the dvd not have any of the special features its supposed to have? huh.gif
constantly bored
QUOTE (beatoswald @ Jan 24 2005, 10:03 PM)

Yeah me either.

Series 3 doesn't have a cast commentary from what I remember, so I'm guessing they'll release another boxset.

And that sucks about the second series alone not having any extras sad.gif
Baz
QUOTE (spacegurl @ Jan 24 2005, 09:37 PM)
argh! i didnt expect that.. biggrin.gif

i borrowed black books 2 off a friend and was dissapointed that it didnt have cast commentaries, the black dolls featurette thing or anything like the series 1 dvd. why does his version of the dvd not have any of the special features its supposed to have? huh.gif

Are you sure it wasn't the Australian version of the dvd you had, which was release about 3 months before the UK one was, and didn't have of the features the UK one had?
UNS
It was actually just series 3 that had no commentary, a shame because they were very good.
spacegurl
Are you sure it wasn't the Australian version of the dvd you had, which was release about 3 months before the UK one was, and didn't have of the features the UK one had?

its not mine its my friends so i dont know..it looks british ..
.....oh wait the web address in small on the back seem to indicate its austrailian-www.kaleidoscope films.com.au. but why so little features? sad.gif
Mase
Black books series 1-3 box set comes in the afore mentioned card box, nice but i can see it's gonna get ripped with the amount i open and close it.

Series 1 special features:- Out-takes
Photo gallery
Cast commentary
Series 2 teaser trailer

Series 2 special features:- Out-takes
Photo gallery
Black dolls
Audio commentary
Series 3 teaser trailer

Series 3 special features:- Out-takes
Bernard's letter
Photo gallery
Deleted scenes
Trailers

Thats what it says on the back of the box-set, hope that helps you out.

Now can someone pass me the cheese and marmite please!
ronlogan1977
Does anyone know if there will be a new series. I know the last series was supposed to be the final one but they did leave it wide open for a return. I'm hoping it will return.
The Phantom
Not sure how I feel about this really. I know that I would be excited at the prospect of another series but part of me just thinks it should be left alone, further damage could be done.
Baz
Dylan said the 3rd series would be the last one, but when Bill Bailey was interviewd on Richard and Judy, he also said the same, but if a 4th series was done, he'd be up for it.

I think it's best left as it is. A 4th series would only spoil it for me.
constantly bored
The 2nd series spoilt it for me tongue.gif
pOgO
YAY for black books

Manny: Is space hot?
Bernard: Of course it is, where do you think we get pineapples from?
UNS
QUOTE (pOgO @ Feb 3 2005, 12:15 PM)
YAY for black books

Manny: Is space hot?
Bernard: Of course it is, where do you think we get pineapples from?

I'm really not sure there should be the 3rd series was a stepdown from the 2nd series which was a stepdown from the first series, maybe if the writing team were Dylan and Graham & Arthur, but otherwise I don't think so.
ronlogan1977
I think they got better as they went along. The 3rd series is definitly the best.
spacegurl
i think the 1st and 3rd were good and the second was the low point.
constantly bored
QUOTE (spacegurl @ Feb 3 2005, 04:24 PM)
i think the 1st and 3rd were good and the second was the low point.

My point exactly. I remember being so disapointed with the second series and didn't even watch most of the third until I bought the dvd.
Kick in the Head
Definitely 3rd series should call it a day - good enough as it is.

Although, I recently read that Peep Show's getting a 3rd series, so I'm looking forward to that (according to Empire, it was Ricky Gervais' favourite comedy of last year). Bonza! happy.gif
rabbit57i
Possible Stage Version
Julie
North Americans:
I just discovered that Black Books Series 1 will be released on January 10th available for a decent price ('bout 20 bucks Canadian) on Amazon, and likely in stores too. Just thought you might like to know!
Punkass
Punkass Posted on: Nov 17 2005, 06:03 PM
Heads up for those who do not already own it here in N.America (for shame!)
Black Books - Series 1 (Region 1) - January 10, 2006

Slow poke! wink.gif Just playing. Great show for any of the new Spaced fans who are just getting into English comedy (especially if you do not like importing).
Julie
QUOTE (Punkass @ Jan 3 2006, 04:27 PM)
Slow poke! wink.gif Just playing.  Great show for any of the new Spaced fans who are just getting into English comedy (especially if you do not like importing).

Bugger! Sorry hon smile.gif

Please close and whisk away as appropriate!
thirtyhelens
Gaaaaah...Amazon had changed the date so I thought it was postponed, but I see it's been changed back again. This means I did a different DVD pick this week for NO REASON!!! Fucksies.
Punkass
No, no need to close, mine was buried in the "Coming Soon to DVD" thread. I was suprised I actually found it, I was just givin' ya a hard time, darlin'.
Chapman Baxter
I think this is worth flagging separately. Don't listen to that nasty Punkass fella, Julie. wink.gif
Deano*
Black Books is hilarious. The complete 3 series boxset and my Spaced boxset rule are my children.
Omniscia
It will be very nice to pick this one up. Now get to work on the other seasons, powers that be!
widowspider
Indeed - I've got Series 3 but not 1 or 2, and I know mr widowspider really wants to watch the first two series of this as he loves it. Might buy him a Valentine's present that is sneakily for me as well....*schemes*
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 3 2006, 05:39 PM)
Now get to work on the other seasons, powers that be!

S2&3 have yet to air on BBCA, who are releasing this, so it's going to be a while yet. Meanwhile they'll shove enough Cash in the Attic down your throat to have you crapping nickles.

Wait, that's not so bad....that analogy went wrong somewhere...
Omniscia
As long as you're not allergic to nickle. Or zinc.

If I wanted BBC America, I'd have to fork over, oh, about $75-80 a month to my cable company. They charge nearly $20 just for basic cable, which is simply the local broadcast networks, plus public access, CBC, and CTV...

Why can't we have a la carte television?
Elmanie
I have asked this before on a LiveJournal community for Black Books, and haven't really had definitive answers.

I know that LifeCry does not exist, and that there are certain liquor brands that have the polar bear on it. The ones I am asking about are the Season Three Finale ones. The people on the community agreed that the blue hazy-looking drink Bernard was drinking was real, but I can't find anything about the name of it, or the ones Manny and Fran are drinking. I am pretty sure that they would have changed the labels for showing them on television sad.gif So no luck there.

Does anyone here have a clue as to the name of the alcohol?

(and of course I don't intend on trying these if I can find them wink.gif )

Thanks in advance for the help or whatnot
ronlogan1977
The Blue drink could have been either Blue Bols or Blue WKD. In reality I doubt it would have been an alcoholic drink he was supping. But then again it is Dylan Moran who`s been seen to imbibe the odd beverage before taking the stage, so who knows.
As for Life Cry, I have no idea what the idea they based that on. I worked in a booze shop for many years and noticed nothing with a Polar Bear logo on the bottles. Theres a thread in Members devoted to crap Alcoholic drinks that might provide some inspiration.
Omniscia
I don't happen to have that season of Black Books handy, so I can't check the bottle for you, but the only liquor I can remember with a polar bear on it is Polar Ice vodka.
Starscream`s Ghost
I think Life Cry is supposed to be Lambrini, or any other crap fizz that girls like pumping themselves full of before a big night out.
ronlogan1977
No. Otherwise they wouldn`t have moaned about a pissweak Sparkling wine making its appearance after the copius amounts of red wine they`d been caning.
My guess from the appearance is that its probably similar to MD20-20 which has thankfully disappeared from our shelves. Last time I had a bottle I had the bright idea of letting my equally pissed mate shave my head. I ended up looking like Jim Bob from Carter USM.
Elmanie
Thanks a lot everyone! ^_^
Raven
I suspect most people will have seen this before, but I've only just come across it:

Bernard's Letter.

Read after watching:

Piss-midget! Excellent!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.