Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 24
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Kick in the Head
I love 24. And it seems the Japanese love 24 as well.

For those missing new installments of 24, you abso-flipping HAVE to see this bizarre comedy skit on Fuji TV's 'One Night' show, kinda like Japan's Saturday Night Live, starring Carlos Bernard as Tony Almeida - what a sport:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2681269

And while you're there, take a peek at Kiefer Sutherland's Calorie Mate snackbar commercials. There's three of them on the site, and the first is here:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2670437

Very very funny indeed! biggrin.gif
Omniscia
Look in on this, I will.
thirtyhelens
Awesome. Reminds me to go have a look at Japander.com again, who are finally back online. YAY!

In other 24 news: Peter Weller and JoBeth Williams have joined the S5 cast. Wow. That's now four actors from seminal films of my childhood on one show. Way to get me to keep watching your network after you cancelled Arrested Development, Fox!
Omniscia
Ah, Japander... Remind me to ask the next Japanese native I run across to explain to me just what the hell Ahnuld was supposed to be promoting, in those Genki beverage ads.
Kick in the Head
24 Season 5 kicks off in the US on January 15th, and there's a bunch of promos for it here:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2682326

Is it just me, or did I see the TARDIS blow up in those trailers? I can empathise with the guy in the third promo as well...SHUT UP! IT'S 24 TIME!
Ingram
A double-bill on the 15th and another on the 16th, great stuff.
Julie
I'm so excited for this, it makes me ill.

Unhealthy? Yes.
Omniscia
Man, back in May, or June, or whenever, mid-January seemed like such a long wait! But now it's just days away!
ronlogan1977
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Nov 20 2005, 05:03 AM)
Ah, Japander... Remind me to ask the next Japanese native I run across to explain to me just what the hell Ahnuld was supposed to be promoting, in those Genki beverage ads.

They`ve stopped playing the Keifer Sutherland ads now. Calorie Mate is pretty horrible actually. Its really chalky and dense with shitty after taste.

The only ad ive noticed at the moment featuring a Western "star " is the one with the girl who plays Hermione in Harry Potter, dancing around wearing supposedly nowt but CD`s. She does have a T Shirt on underneath so that OK then.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Julie @ Jan 9 2006, 10:36 AM)
I'm so excited for this, it makes me ill.

No kidding.

Plus, my good pal who is catching up with S4 just found out that Chloe came back so he's been revelling with me for the past two days. (Ex: "Yay! I was worried - who's going to make the angry gerbil face now?, I thought!" laugh.gif)

I'm a little scared about the frequency of the word "shocking" in descriptions of the premiere (either it means they're reeeeeeeally going to pay off, to the degree of me being fucked off at their antics, or they're going to disappoint)....but I'm in it for the long haul. Weller and Williams and Astin and Sheppard?! Oh, yes.
ronlogan1977
Some tofu munching hippy in The Guardian has got his knickers in a twist. It..is..not..real.
For crying out loud, did he not see the episode with the Cougar and think to himself, this is a load of old bollocks this. (Addictive entertaining bollocks).
thirtyhelens
*sigh* Yeah. And I am a left-leaning hippie tofu-muncher by political standards, but I'm consistently annoyed by the pat responses from a lot of liberal writers to 24's plotlines. Particularly considering that most of them don't seem to have watched the entire show from beginning to end so they don't have the contradictory evidence, or they simply choose to ignore it. (I.E. the fact that Palmer purposefully stalled going to war with the "three Arab countries" - carefully unnamed, though TWOP took to calling them "Fauxraquistan", hee! - rather than rush to war when he didn't have credible evidence, which I thought was a brave writing choice at a time when Bush was about to march into Iraq.)

Not to mention the easy pot-shots at Rupert Murdoch (who, let's face it, is an easy pot shot every second of every day - the sonofabitch isn't exactly a high-profile hit, he can generate about 10 liberal rants for every 1 reality show his execs green-light instead of giving Arrested Development the time of day.) Now, the misogynist slant - that is a problem. (But one I've gritted my teeth and lived with; I don't know Joel Surnow personally, he might be a lovely guy or he might be a chauvinist pig...who's to say?)....
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Jan 10 2006, 05:43 AM)
Some tofu munching hippy in The Guardian has got his knickers in a twist.

Idiot.
Svein
Jesus... have these people never heard of FICTION?!?
Julie
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 9 2006, 02:19 PM)
A double-bill on the 15th and another on the 16th, great stuff.

Whhheeeeeeeeeee....
tongue.gif
mrjester
They couldnt get Kiefer, so Im in it this time.

(ok, so I whored that a while back, but I thought I'd whore myself here too :-P)
Julie
QUOTE (mrjester @ Jan 15 2006, 12:26 PM)
They couldnt get Kiefer, so Im in it this time.

... I'll allow it.
Julie
PLEASE tell me somebody else saw that!
thirtyhelens
Saw.

I have too much work to do before bed, though, so my commentary will have to wait until tomorrow. wink.gif
Julie
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 16 2006, 02:02 AM)
Saw.

I have too much work to do before bed, though, so my commentary will have to wait until tomorrow. wink.gif

I shall wait somewhat patiently smile.gif
Kick in the Head
Well, I'm not going to read a thing in this topic until season five comes to the UK. I've got Sky One at my student flat, but not at home, so I hope the series comes soon, so I can watch it all before I move out!
UnderSpaced
Last night's episodes were really good. Can't wait for tonight's episodes!
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Julie @ Jan 16 2006, 04:28 AM)
I shall wait somewhat patiently smile.gif

Oh, alright then wink.gif

To be honest, I had this strange feeling about Palmer, that somehow he wasn't safe the way things ended last year. Which was compounded by the fact that Dennis Haysbert got a new mid-season replacement series on CBS, which never bodes well. (See: Greg Grunberg on Alias...though JJ had the decency not to KILL Weiss!). So that one, while shocking, wasn't a total shocker...does that make sense? Mmm, contradiction. LOL. Plus it's a sturdy plot device for drawing Jack out of hiding, I'll give them that...somewhat of a long-delayed anti-climax considering what Jack went through to save him in S1, and the botched assasination attempt in S2. So sad, so sad...and yet. (Bravo to them for still not invoking the race card, BTW...)

On the other hand....Michelle and Tony. *screams*......god DAMN you, Surnow, you fucking cheat. You're a punk, dude. Y'know what, don't speak....I need to not be around you right now laugh.gif and then... sad.gif

Honestly, I thought that despite the killing off of long-timers willy-nilly, first hour was the best season opener ever after season one....but then by the second hour, they were up to a lot of their old tricks. (New girlfriend and sullen teenage boy? Sick of them already. *cackle*) Jean Smart is BRILLIANT and bodes well for the new cast members, which is the main reason I'm in for this season. (When do Weller & Williams show up? Heh, that sounds like a vaudeville act, Weller & Williams...) It could go either way, tho... too early to tell.

Oh, and Chloe's new "boyfriend"? Dude's a mole. I know it sounds miserably pessimistic to assume that Chloe finally gets a boyfriend and he's a mole, BUT a) he's not even that cute, really, b) she clearly regretted it, a little and c) he looks like he probably can't code C++ for shit, anyway, so she can totally do better.

I heart the Rajskub. happy.gif
Ingram
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 16 2006, 06:00 PM)
Oh, alright then wink.gif

Excellent commentary as always 30H, definitely an awesome two episodes - the first one being far superior to the second. I hope it's not a precursor to the rest of the series; big opener, I was positively tingling throughout, with an adequate second episode that has set us up for much bigger things.

A few issues I had better spoiler just in case anyone stumbles in:

I know by the end of the second the President is removed from suspicion but I still don't like that guy. The kid is going to annoy me; why couldn't you just leave?! I think if Jack had stressed how important it was for them to go to CTU and clear him then ... oh well no point in worrying. I guess it all falls on Chloe's head now to get Jack in the clear, and with "Not that cute Mole guy" on the case I'm sure she will stumble at every turn.

All for now, but more tomorrow no doubt.
Julie
I shall reserve my lustful... ahem... excited ramblings until the end of tonight's episodes.
Omniscia
Yeah, I reserve comment until the end of tonight's installments, as well. Maybe tonight we'll finally get to see Sean Astin.
Julie
Wow.

Ok, since Chloe's first scenes, she's been one of my favourite characters, and she continues to rock. Seems like she's taking pages out of Jack's book and I love it! "Do you want me to find out who's face that is? Or..... do you want me to just go wait in holding" She continues to be both comedic relief and one of the characters involved in advancing some of the best plot points. Love her.

Next, Tony. Good Lord, I hope he's ok. I hope he makes it into the season. I love that guy, too!

Now, the actual show. Ok, it's obvious that what Palmer knew wasn't about the Airport, which was easily called as small potatoes early on, but about the nerve gas, as it related to the guy who gave Badger the key card. Yes, I'm going to keep calling him Badger, just like I keep calling the new guy running CTU Mikey. Speaking of whom, did anyone else get the impression that he is in some way related to Bill, like son-in-law type relationship? Anyways, I did mention I was going to ramble, but I apologize anyway. Back to the plot. How very Die Hard 2! I'm very interested, though, to see how they're going to make this plot different from the last bio-terror plot, and for that matter, both nuke plots. If they can. I hate to admit it, but I'm also very excited to see how Audrey and the new broad (shut it, I'm terrible with names) meet and explain their connections to Jack. As for not-cute-mole-man, I don't think he's the mole. It's just like the writers to make you start second guessing someone, just a little bit, and then turn things around on you. Look at Gael in the third season! And on that note, I have just realized that I am far too into this considering that I have to be up to take care of patients for 12 hours in less than 6. More to follow, I'm sure.

Oh Jack Bauer, if only you weren't a fictional character, and for some reason had a fetish for slightly chubby, nerdy, Canadian nurses. In a perfect world...
Omniscia
Well, so far, so good, I guess. Now that we're 1/6th of the way into this, the fifth season, I'm finding it much easier to not only suspend my disbelief, but throw it entirely out the window, which helps keep things feeling fresh. Yeah, a lot of it seems to echo earlier happenings in the course of the show, which makes me suspect that either they're grasping at straws, or they're trying to put the audience at ease by starting on familiar territory, only to pull the rug completely out from under us later on down the road.

First impressions:

Sean Astin. So far, he's less the steady, stalwart, quietly-heroic Sean of "The Lord of the Rings," and more the vaguely-irritating little guy with something to prove of "Rudy." But we've only seen him in one episode so far.

The White House. Oh, goody, that jittery, paranoid twit Logan is back. And I'm not talking about the First Lady. Good to see Mike's still around, as well as our favourite Secret Service agent, Aaron. Walt creeps me out, and I hope he gets what's coming to him.

Finally, that was so cruel, treating us to a moment with certain characters, before ripping them right from the series within the first few minutes. I wonder if Kim will meet the same fate...
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 16 2006, 10:11 PM)
I'm finding it much easier to not only suspend my disbelief, but throw it entirely out the window, which helps keep things feeling fresh.

That does play to one's wild advantage, doesn't it? ;-) BTW, I have yet to watch tonight's installments; I was at a birthday party tonight so I'll watch 'em tomorrow...

I wonder if Kim will meet the same fate...

Oy. Dare we even dream...
Ingram
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 17 2006, 08:49 AM)
Oy.  Dare we even dream...

You take that back right now 30H! tongue.gif

After 9AM - 11AM I must admit I think it's still on top form. At the end I was half expecting Jack NOT to go back to CTU with them, surely he realises that it will only be an anathema to tracking down the 'sleeper'. I don't care how good he could give a description - which, by the way, was poor - he is the only field agent to have seen the 'sleepers' face and to me that seemed too invaluable to waste. All he had to do on leaving the hostage area was dump his jacket and tie and they would be looking for a needle in a bloody haystack!

Anyway, I hate to dwell on what has happened that I can't change so let's move straight on to what I liked and didn't like about the episode:

Sean Astin... nope. Just doesn't seem right. "Bring Mr Bauer back to the shire (CTU) Gandalph sir so I can eagerly exploit my hidden agenda which I clumsily revealed within two seconds of being on screen with you sir!" That character is so transparent already, I give more credit to the 24 writers than that so I can only assume it's a double-bluff...

It's becoming more and more like the writers want us to believe that Chloe's new "not-so-cute-mole-guy" is in fact a mole, and from the first of the two episodes that was still my impression. However after the introduction of Astin and the back-story that Moley provided for him... I'm unsure. At this point I'd go out on a limb and say we have enough mole/sleeper-type characters for now, so he isn't a mole... but he will do something fairly significant, I think that's obvious.

Finally, it's looking like the kid is almost out of the picture. Snivelling so-and-so almost got Jack killed. Grr.

Looking forward to next weeks episode already.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 17 2006, 10:02 AM)
You take that back right now 30H!  tongue.gif

*bangs on the cougars' cage, gets them all riled up*
Ingram
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 17 2006, 06:09 PM)
*bangs on the cougars' cage, gets them all riled up*

laugh.gif

Have you seen the eps yet? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 17 2006, 10:56 AM)
Have you seen the eps yet?  I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Not yet....must watch tonight. Work is kicking my ass at the moment...
Julie
http://www.notrly.com/jackbauer/index.php?topthirty

It's about time.

If Jack and MacGyver were locked in a room together, Jack would make a bomb out of MacGyver and get out.
thirtyhelens
When life gave Jack Bauer lemons, he used them to kill terrorists. Jack Bauer fucking hates lemonade.

laugh.gif Brilliant, Jules. Even better than the Vin Diesel one.
Ingram
If Jack Bauer was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and Nina Meyers, and he had a gun with 2 bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.

laugh.gif

Oh and...
Jack Bauer doesn't miss. If he didn't hit you it's because he was shooting at another terrorist twelve miles away.

These are awesome.
Julie
My roommate and I spent about an hour last night pissing ourselves reading them.
thirtyhelens
And I re-iterate...

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 16 2006, 10:00 AM)
Oh, and Chloe's new "boyfriend"? Dude's a mole.

Did I call it or did I call it? happy.gif
Julie
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 24 2006, 02:19 AM)
And I re-iterate...
Did I call it or did I call it?  happy.gif

Well played. However... I knew they wouldn't let us down by making it that flat out obvious, I liked the twist that he didn't know he was doing it.
Very enjoyable episode. So glad Jack got to kick some ass again but that cracked rib is going to play an interesting part in the rest of the season. The Jack and Audrey scene nearly killed me (silly, silly girl I am) and I loved seeing Chloe emotional, even if she is socially inept. And you should have seen my roommate and I when we realized that the doctor was not a doctor but the assassin and thought he may have killed Tony... priceless. I have a feeling, however, that Walt isn't the only problem in the white house, the way his conversations with the president went lead me to believe he may also be involved somehow. Maybe he's planning on swooping in and saving Russia so he'll get the rest of the world into some sort of pact. All I know is that this is much more far reaching than it appears. And.... team.
Ingram
Jack Bauer is my God. What an excellent follow-up episode to the first set of four, really tied up some loose ends and made some good progress with the story. As for comments and questions:

I wonder what sort of role the 'first crazy™' is going to play because now CTU knows about the white house involvement there is nothing new for her to tell anyone important - maybe her story will act as confirmation of what Bauer will tell the President. Although next episode it is clear that Mike will be the only sympathetic character to Bauer in terms of White House staff.

I can see that there is going to be a lot more - oooh Jack we all thought you were dead - but only in order to keep to the unity of time apparent. It will get real old real fast though. Except in the case of Tony; if that dude ever wakes up then I seriously want some male bonding. Problem is unless he wakes up in the next couple of episodes it will seriously stretch believability to bring him into the story in any meaningful way.

I think I'm finally on-board with Astin's character, since he didn't try to pull any stuff with Jack I can only assume he is on the level. Aside from that the power conflict between him and Buchanan may still boil over. And we have yet to know whether he authorises any action by Jack, although intimated to it at the end of this episode.

All in all good stuff. Oh and 30H you were right...ish.
Omniscia
Why it there always a mole inside CTU? It's getting a little old.... And who didn't immediately figure out that the "doctor" was going to try and off Jack? I kinda wish Jack's temper hadn't flared up, though, and he'd let the guy live, and hope they could glean some information from him. If he did anything to Tony, though, he got what he deserved.

And that cracked rib of Jack's will probably just take some tape and a couple aspirin to fix. Remember his knife wound from Day Four? That didn't slow him down any...

If the First Lady winds up in the hands of the Chechens (though they still haven't been confirmed as such), I'm going to throw my hands up in defeat and just try and accept it.

Finally, do you suppose we'll see any more of Wayne Palmer? His thread was kind of left hanging...
Ingram
No way would that guy have known anything. It would have been a long shot.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Julie @ Jan 24 2006, 02:57 AM)
I knew they wouldn't let us down by making it that flat out obvious, I liked the twist that he didn't know he was doing it. 

Yeah, pretty much the only route to go so as to prevent it from being a repeat of AIEEEEEEEE!sha from last season. Though given the fact that this time it's a fella and last time it's a chick, well there's the "Joel's a misogynist" argument again. Now, now, don't flip out all of you, I'm not championing it; like I said before, I don't know the man personally so who's to say. But he makes it SO damn easy sometimes. Oh, and I WAS right Ingram...if I had said he was an evil mole I would have been right-ish. All I said was he was a mole. wink.gif

I loved seeing Chloe emotional, even if she is socially inept.

She's the most interesting character on TV at the moment, by a long shot. Not merely in and of herself but for what she brings to a show that sorely needs a dose of realism to keep it in check. wink.gif (Yeah, I know, I like the implausible hijinks too, but still...)
Ingram
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 24 2006, 06:12 PM)
Oh, and I WAS right Ingram...if I had said he was an evil mole I would have been right-ish.  All I said was he was a mole.

No way. You were off 30H, off by a miliscule margin sure, but off nonetheless! I've come to expect a little more microscopic accuracy from your predictions.
whitey
saw this posted on another forum and thought it was pretty funny.

Julie
Superlative.
Ingram
Oh dear happy.gif
thirtyhelens
Anyone who continues to insist that 24 is right-wing propaganda after tonight's episode needs a big fucking smack in the face.

They probably voted for Nader, too.
Omniscia
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 31 2006, 01:26 AM)
Anyone who continues to insist that 24 is right-wing propaganda after tonight's episode needs a big fucking smack in the face.

Well, as long as torture always works and always gets the critical information within the space of a minute, they'll keep saying that. I'm not saying that I feel it's propaganda, but that's a central tenet of many arguments I've heard. It's quite enjoyable as long as you keep your head on straight and never for a moment assume it's even remotely reflective of reality.

Anyway, this week was much better than last, as far as I'm concerned, although I am a bit miffed that President Logan (is his predecessor dead, or still comatose?) still doesn't have the fucking balls to rebuff Cummings. Good thing Aaron's still around. And what happened to Mike?

That said, I'm a little concerned about next week, because, if the IMDb is to be believed (I know, I shouldn't look...), Kim's back. We shall see, though.
Kick in the Head
Saw a trailer for the new season in the UK. Sky One - February. Does anyone know if there's a more exact date?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.