Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 24
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Julie
Fuck yeah. That was one solid piece of entertainment. I can't believe how quickly they wrapped up the whole mole inside the whitehouse business! Very cool. I'm starting to think the nerve gas isn't going to be the worst thing that goes on here this season. And the Jack/Audrey bits make me a little verklempt.
WiseJoeyD
Hurrah! Saw the first episode.

An entertaining mix of Neighbours, some 80s soap and ye olde 24.

Those perms... Chloe's man-jaw..... Keifer abducting young boys. Not vintage 24 or even particularly good but it was enjoyable.

Also, what was up with meldoramatic crazy pyscho First Lady?!?!? Dunking her head face first into the sink made me rewind it to make sure I'd seen what I'd just seen!!

Again very soapy; as a friend said it felt like someone out of Eastenders would pop in any moment!

Sad to see decent characters go to be replaced with Chloe O'Roids, Edgar and Crazy First Lady.

What did yous think of the smoke screen JAck made?!
It only midly clouded the air to hilarious effect as anyone could see through it easily.
If only those stupid villains had removed their 80s sunglasses
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 30 2006, 09:47 PM)
Well, as long as torture always works and always gets the critical information within the space of a minute, they'll keep saying that.

That's kind of my point, though....if they're going to focus on just that one aspect of the show as their argument, then....smack 'em. Particularly after last night's planted WMD's storyline. I really hope someone in Murdoch's office was watching last night....see that?! See that blatant Bush adminstration baiting? That's your hit show, Rupes! Bwahahahaha. laugh.gif

In retrospect, it was a little too rushed, but it was an exciting hour. And I just love Secret Service Aaron; he has always been terrific.
Omniscia
I am also glad to see Bill teaching Lyn to be a man, and not some sissy bureaucrat.
Ingram
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 31 2006, 06:40 PM)
And I just love Secret Service Aaron; he has always been terrific.

Oh so true. He and Palmer made such an excellent little partnership way back when.
WiseJoeyD
Waaaaay back in episode 2, I'm not entirely getting why Jack's gone back to Palmer's building thus puting himself in danger. Surely it'd be to the other side where the sniper took his shot?

I don't care if you spoil it for me by the way, just PLEASE tell me crazy First Lady dies!

Her brand of melodrama doesn't sit well with the show. We already saw a failed "cry for her" story last series with that girl commiting suicide, get back to blatant swipes at Bush's government!
Kick in the Head
Well, saw some adverts on bus stops (avec trailers and all).

Sunday February 12th!

The BAFTAs are the next week so I'll miss them to watch the next episode f'sure. Reminds me of when Chris Morris didn't pick up his BAFTA for best short film, and the person who received it in his place said it was because he was at home watching 24. Genius.
WiseJoeyD
Surprised how fastSKy got this out over here. Only 7 behind and then they take their break don't they.... or has that "Sweeps" already happened?
Svein
WOW... What an opening 10 minutes... That's gotta be the highest bodycount yet! I expected a few things, but the death of President Palmer was the furthest thing from my mind...
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Svein @ Feb 13 2006, 10:22 AM)
WOW...  What an opening 10 minutes...  That's gotta be the highest bodycount yet!  I expected a few things, but the death of President Palmer was the furthest thing from my mind...

Exactly what I was thinking. It was so sudden, usually there would have been a big build up, but straight away BANG! Bullet through your neck, Mr. President. Brilliant season opener.
Henry Krinkle
I was more shocked by the car bomb. When Edgar said "Tony and Michelle have been hit" I assumed that they had both died. Luckily, Tony is just very badly injured. Still, it's a shame he's lost his wife, after they were doing so well together and all.
Did anyone else notice Chloe's shameless attempt to show off her shoulder tattoo as much as possible. Why does anyone wear a dressing gown off of one shoulder like that?
Kick in the Head
It was a rather mad couple of episodes that's for certain. I do hope Chloe does get ditched somewhere. The only expressions she can pull are 'panicked' and 'concerned' and both make her look like she's just been given a really hard maths problem to work out.

And this babbling First Lady subplot feels a lot like the series 4 CTU head's troubled daughter, as if to give 2D characters a bit more...character. We'll see how it pans out.

But apart from that, lots of action, officials looking grave, and Jack said "Please", his sorta catchphrase when asking people to do things for him, just like Tony always says "Aight" ("All right") in whispery breath.
Henry Krinkle
The mental First Lady was a bit rubbish, but you just have to accept some things with 24 and let them slide. Like that kid, Derek, running into the airport because he saw some men getting out of a van. "There's something wrong here" he said. He's only been hanging with Jack for a couple of hours and already he can spot a gang of terrorists a mile off. That's some mad skillz right there.
I wanted to slap him hard when he asked Jack "How could you just shoot him like that?" after Jack shot dead the man that had just chased them round a disused oil refinery with 5 of his heavily armed mates. If it were me I'd run over and put the boots into his corpse before giving Jack a big thank you hug. But that's just me.
I think Chloe's great, and I hope she stays around for more episodes. It's the way she seems so unimpressed at everything that I love. That, and the way she shot that bloke to pieces in the last series.
Likewise, I love bumbling lispy Edgar. I hope he's sees off the new good looking charmer at CTU and wins Chloe's heart. Then they can retire from CTU and set up a business together before being blown up at the start of the next series.
WiseJoeyD
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 13 2006, 10:48 AM)
Why does anyone wear a dressing gown off of one shoulder like that?

You're asking for sense of Mandible O'Briens actions!?

Do you see how it's very soap-y this eries and has all but abandoned it's real time tag (Events may as well be taking place hours/days apart).

I am enjoying it though. LIke Lost, I can bitch and whine but I still love the preposterous seriousnesss and antics..... and guessing when Sean Astin is standing on a box!
Henry Krinkle
See, you're miles ahead there, because I've yet to see Sean Astin show up. I look forward to it though.

You're right about the real time element going out the window thought WiseJoeyD. The ex-president gets shot, and withing about 3 minutes the TV stations are airing tributes to him. Not only is it incredibly fast for news to get to broadcast that quickly (and not even be an unconfirmed report, but an official release), but it's highly suspicious that those tribute VT packages were at the ready. Those news networks know too much, and Jack should start his search for answers there.
Svein
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 13 2006, 02:32 PM)
See, you're miles ahead there, because I've yet to see Sean Astin show up. I look forward to it though.

You're right about the real time element going out the window thought WiseJoeyD. The ex-president gets shot, and withing about 3 minutes the TV stations are airing tributes to him. Not only is it incredibly fast for news to get to broadcast that quickly (and not even be an unconfirmed report, but an official release), but it's highly suspicious that those tribute VT packages were at the ready. Those news networks know too much, and Jack should start his search for answers there.

I disagree... I think the first TV report was about 6 minutes after the shooting. TV stations keep all this stuff on hard disk nowadays and any TV editor worth his salt would be able to put together a preliminary package... And all news stations are hacked into police radio...
Henry Krinkle
Yeah, but logically, after the shooting took place they would have needed to call an ambulance. Let's give 24 the benefit of the doubt and say there was a doctor or paramedic in the building. He or she would have to carry out at least a preliminary assessment before calling a time of death. With a person as important as Palmer they would need to inform a load of people before they ran to the press. This would take more than 6 minutes.
Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the news networks are illegally listening to police radio. They would have to relay their eavesdropped information to someone high up to decide whether they run with it. Before broadcasting the news that an ex president has been murdered they would no doubt contact the relevant authorities to check on whether this is correct. The authorities would not confirm or deny that until they were ready to. No network will run with a story like that without confirmation. They may speculate over it happening, but it wouldn't be VT retrospective time yet. Factor in all the people walking up and down corridors going 'wow, this is really big. You'll have to give me a few seconds to take this in' and I think they'd be lucky to be running with that in 15 minutes flat, let alone 6.
It's silly to think about a fictional TV show in this much depth. The only way we'll settle this is to really assassinate a famous ex president and time it from gun shot to the first breaking of the story.
Anyone want to try this?
Sean of the Dead
Let's just say they have magical powers or a warlock did it.

Well, that's that mystery solved, next?
Julie
Jack Bauer did it. Questions?
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Feb 13 2006, 04:07 AM)
I do hope Chloe does get ditched somewhere. The only expressions she can pull are 'panicked' and 'concerned' and both make her look like she's just been given a really hard maths problem to work out.

*gasp* Unbeliever.

First of all, it's called the Angry Gerbil Face and MLR owns the patent. Woe to you if you're on the receiving end. wink.gif And second, Chloe is indispensible because she never, ever fails to say exactly what's on everyone's mind, to their face, and lend a little bit of nervy realism to what otherwise gets increasingly far-fetched (though still entertaining) each season. Things were so very very boring w/out her in the middle of S4.

I've been reading more and more negative reactions to FLOTUS lately, it's interesting; I think it's a testiment to Jean Smart's talent that no matter how apeshit crazy she gets, she hasn't bothered me in the slightest. I can sort of see the DrisKid argument, too, but frankly ol' Jeannie would act that spastic little slip of a girl off the screen.

Casting SPOILERS: Cougars at the ready, folks, Kim is definitely coming back. AAAAARGH! Elisha is confirmed to return, as is William Devane. With guest appearances by Leland Palmer and Ponyboy Curtis! Er....ah, Ray Wise and C. Thomas Howell.
Julie
http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1709354,00.html

"When we started the show I was living in Toronto and I was so happy with my house.

That made me feel a bit sick.
WiseJoeyD
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 13 2006, 01:32 PM)

At TVWithoutPity they joked you could tell Palmer as a Democrat cos you can see the FOx guy beaming away at his death. HAR HAR
[/belly laughs]
Jessopjessopjessop
Watched episode 1 of Day 5 last night. Cor blimey - off to a flying start or what?

I'm not especially happy with what's happened to some major characters, but it's certainly going to be edge-of-the-seat viewing for the next 23 weeks.
Julie
See now, I think last night's episode over here sparked a very interesting debate.
Should Jack have let the canister go? I mean, obviously, it's Jack Bauer, he'll find another way. But aside from that, it really was there best chance for finding the other 19. I know there's no conceivable way I could do it, but it is interesting to think about. Also, I was pretty disappointed with the First Lady bailing out on her moral convictions.
Ingram
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 14 2006, 12:46 PM)
See now, I think last night's episode over here sparked a very interesting debate. 
Should Jack have let the canister go?  I mean, obviously, it's Jack Bauer, he'll find another way.  But aside from that, it really was there best chance for finding the other 19.  I know there's no conceivable way I could do it, but it is interesting to think about.  Also, I was pretty disappointed with the First Lady bailing out on her moral convictions.

I think Jack's moral compass is very defined and he has a very acute sense of 'good' and 'evil', in comparison to more morally ambiguous characters throughout the show. It all stems from the fundamental debate in regards to loss of innocent life for a greater good, whereas CTU and the White House were adopting a much more utilitarian approach to their decision making, Jack's reaction to the ethical dilemma could only be to stop the immediate terrorist attack. In this case the 'evil' was the threat the mall and the obvious loss of life that would result in not stopping the terrorists to which, in hindsight, Jack will vehemently support in the next episodes.
Julie
Agreed.
Ingram
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 14 2006, 03:04 PM)
Agreed.

biggrin.gif

Good stuff.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 14 2006, 04:46 AM)
  But aside from that, it really was there best chance for finding the other 19.  I know there's no conceivable way I could do it, but it is interesting to think about. 

The thing is technically, it did work. Terror Lackey #1 still had the trigger on him and it lead them right to the warehouse. Only problem is our Badger is a slippery fucker, yes he is. biggrin.gif With an almost ImhoTerror-like talent for being one step ahead of the game. Although considering Julian Sands finally appears next week, his time may be up. I predict a swift and sudden Michael Massee-like exit.

It was driving me NUTS, BTW, trying to figure out who Terror Lackey #1 was, until I realized just before the end that it was the actor who played Alma's husband on Deadwood. Eyyyy! Didn't recognize him without the pomaded coiff and pointy mustache.
Julie
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Feb 14 2006, 05:39 PM)
The thing is technically, it did work.  Terror Lackey #1 still had the trigger on him and it lead them right to the warehouse.  Only problem is our Badger is a slippery fucker, yes he is. biggrin.gif  With an almost ImhoTerror-like talent for being one step ahead of the game.  Although considering Julian Sands finally appears next week, his time may be up.  I predict a swift and sudden Michael Massee-like exit.

I love that you call him Badger, because I totally do too. Him and Mikey.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 14 2006, 01:40 PM)
I love that you call him Badger, because I totally do too.† Him and Mikey.

Mikey is Samwise in my house. laugh.gif But he could be either.

ETA: BTW, I was so ready last night for Audrey to leap up onto the conference table, smack Samwise around and go "Stupid fat hobbitses!" She came damn close.
Ingram
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Feb 14 2006, 10:27 PM)
ETA: BTW, I was so ready last night for Audrey to leap up onto the conference table, smack Samwise around and go "Stupid fat hobbitses!"  She came damn close.

Hahahaha! laugh.gif

Excellent.
Home-Sliced06
Never watched 24 consistantly, the odd episode now and again. Just bought the first season on dvd and I'm loving it.
Omniscia
Ooo, the latest installment is interesting.

It's nice to see Sean Astin going nuts and throwing a major hissy-fit in the middle of a potentially-fatal crisis. And President Logan will have a heck of a decision to make, next week, considering who went where with whom...
Julie
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Feb 21 2006, 01:46 AM)
Ooo, the latest installment is interesting.

It's nice to see Sean Astin going nuts and throwing a major hissy-fit in the middle of a potentially-fatal crisis. And President Logan will have a heck of a decision to make, next week, considering who went where with whom...

It did set things up pretty nicely for next week, didn't it?
NiteFall
I'm quite liking the way that about 90% of this thread is written in spoiler tags, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just finding it amusing to see a couple of words and then enormous areas of blacked out spoilery goodness is all. Keep up the good work people! laugh.gif
Julie
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Feb 21 2006, 09:12 AM)
I'm quite liking the way that about 90% of this thread is written in spoiler tags, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just finding it amusing to see a couple of words and then enormous areas of blacked out spoilery goodness is all. Keep up the good work people!  laugh.gif

It's the kind of show that could very easily be ruined without them!
Ingram
Loving the use of the phrase "who went where with whom" by Omni.

Reasonable episode this week. More thoughts later perhaps.
Henry Krinkle
24 last night!!!
The palms of my hands were well and truly sweaty by the end of it.

Right Krinkle, order your thoughts.
Firstly, Chloe. Normally I think sheís great, what with her surly, unhelpful demeanour and whiny voice, but last night she went down in my estimation - she was mean to poor old lispy Edgar. Edgar obviously fancies the pants off of Chloe, and itís going to be one of the great unrequited romances of modern times. I guarantee it.
Second, Martha Logan, the First Lady. Iím really not into this storyline. Why would David Palmer have called her to tell her about a major conspiracy theory that goes to the very heart of the White House if sheís formally been in a mental institution and is still on medication? Thatís just begging to have his conspiracy theory discredited.
Third, Jack fighting the professional hit man. That was just remarkable. It was refreshing to see Jack in a fight with an equal match. I really didnít think he was going to be able to beat him (well, obviously I knew he wasnít going to kill Jack, but I thought that Jack might have only gotten through it after someone else comes along and assists him).
The ending of the show, with Jack saying ďIím not CTU. Iíll get him my own way.Ē contrasted with a shot of Walt smiling an evil smile, unaware Jackís coming to get him, was a thrilling ending that left me hankering for the next episode.

The thing I like about this series is the difference in itís portrayal of the American government. When Palmer was president you knew who your good guys and your bad guys were. The establishment, the government, America, they were the good guys. Whoever stood against them, they were bad. But now, itís a little more cloudy. President Logan is a worm and a coward. Heís not a President worth protecting. We still have Jack, doing his shtick, and we still have CTU, with all their high tech gadgetry, but what are they protecting now? Theyíre serving a bunch of idiots who are only interested in themselves. Iím glad Jackís doing this for the potential innocents in peril, and to avenge David Palmer somewhat, because Iíd be very conflicted over whether he should assist the government at all.
They even tried to make him a scapegoat, remember. Whatís to say that when all this blows over, and the Chinese get wind heís still alive, they wonít stitch him up again?
Itís all very divergent, and Iím fascinated by it.
Julie
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 27 2006, 06:04 AM)
...lots of interesting points...

I'm pretty sure everyone's caught up, but just incase...

First, Chloe gets better, don't worry. She's obviously under a lot of stress.
Second, how dare you not have faith in Jack? But seriously, I loved that fight, too. Very edge-of-your-seat type stuff.
Third, I think because the president knew the first lady well for quite a long time, he probably knew she wasn't actually crazy. He also might have felt that she was the only person close enough to the administration that she might be able to help but far enough removed that there's no way she'd be involved.
Fourth, totally agree about the portrayal about the government. It just keeps getting better and better. All of those assholes that keep going on about 24 being right wing propaganda (due to the use of torture) will be sorted out properly.

Can't wait for tonight's episode here, looks like it's going to be wicked.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 27 2006, 12:36 PM)

First, Chloe gets better, don't worry.

Glad to hear it. She's been one of my favourites ever since she shot that guy to pieces in the last series. Even then she looked pretty unimpressed. She has such high standards.

Second, how dare you not have faith in Jack?  But seriously, I loved that fight, too.  Very edge-of-your-seat type stuff.

I had faith in him, I've just never seen Jack so evenly matched in a fight. At one point I was even willing Tony to miraculously pull out of his comatose state and muck in.

Third, I think because the president knew the first lady well for quite a long time, he probably knew she wasn't actually crazy.  He also might have felt that she was the only person close enough to the administration that she might be able to help but far enough removed that there's no way she'd be involved.

I guess so. He doesn't really have anyone on his side within the organisation any more. I wonder how much he knew? I'm sure I'll find out eventually.

Fourth, totally agree about the portrayal about the government.  It just keeps getting better and better.  All of those assholes that keep going on about 24 being right wing propaganda (due to the use of torture) will be sorted out properly.

I had always thought at the back of my mind that 24 was a rather right wing show that simplified complicated problems a bit too much. I just put that down to it having to be entertaining and not too cerebral. I have found that it's getting steadily more subversive in it's portrayal of right and wrong though. It's almost as if they started the show living in a perfect, black and white world and it's slowly becoming like our world (but obviously way more exciting).
There are still obvious good guys and bad guys, but it's as if that's all for show, because the people in charge of both sides are really one and the same. It's making the work that Jack and CTU do seem increasingly futile.

Can't wait for tonight's episode here, looks like it's going to be wicked.

I am Jealous.
Julie
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 27 2006, 11:19 AM)
I am Jealous.

The previews keep saying that an enemy from Jack's past comes back, I can't wait to find out who it is! And since Nina's already dead (does anyone not know that?) it's anyone's guess as to who it might be!
thirtyhelens
Do we know for sure it's an enemy? Because by all accounts Peter Weller - EEEEP! - shows up tonight, and according to earlier reports he plays Jack's mentor.

Cannot WAIT to see where the FLOTUS storyline goes. I have a sinking feeling that Secret Service Aaron is going to take a bullet for someone tonight. *sob*
Julie
I really, really hope you're wrong on that.
thirtyhelens
Me, too.

BTW, according to the AICN preview yes, Weller's his mentor, and yes, Weller's also evil. Phoarrrrr. Buckaroo gone bad...

And I will subject myself and the rest of you to no more spoilers...
Julie
When it looked for a moment like Aaron was down , I fully screamed, in my living room, "OH GOD NO, NIC WAS RIGHT!" Haha, good save though on his part!

Is it wrong that when Jack gets all angry and yells at people, I get a little warm in my lady places?

And did you see the 'scenes from the next'? That was definately a conscious Tony Almeida I saw!
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 27 2006, 07:13 PM)
And did you see the 'scenes from the next'?  That was definately a conscious Tony Almeida I saw!

Waheyyyy! Oh, yes. Excited I am. Tony + Evil!Robocop + JoBeth Williams definitely makes up for The Return of Kim. Well, almost... biggrin.gif

I'm SO glad I was wrong, Jules. But you see, they made us think the bad thing happened...I knew they couldn't resist.

Is it wrong that when Jack gets all angry and yells at people, I get a little warm in my lady places?

And actually, that stunning bit of MacGyver-like ingenuity tonight did it for me. Rrrawr.
Omniscia
And did anyone else notice that this is the 24th page of the 24 thread?

Still, an excellent episode tonight. However, how can Jack be so stupid and trust Robocop like that? You knew from the moment he brought those files with him to the bunker that he was up to no good.

I'm happy to see Curtis doing the right thing and relieving insane fat Hobbitses of their precious command.

And, Julie, you're right, that is a conscious Tony we see in the preview for next week. Don't ask me how, or why, though. But how, and why, is Kim going to enter the picture? The emphasis here is on why...

Also, I can't believe I didn't notice, until I checked his IMDb rap sheet, that the fellow who portrays the Russian President also voiced Max in "Sam & Max Hit the Road," and Dr. Fred in "Day of the Tentacle." He's got quite the voiceover cv!
Kick in the Head
Man, this thread's getting confusing, with UK lagging behind North America - its hard to know which spoiler tags I can look at and discuss! wacko.gif
Omniscia
My advice? Look at none of them. tongue.gif

Or people can start amending their posts with some "re: 12:00 PM-1:00 PM" notice, so people know to which episode they are referring.
thirtyhelens
Or, basically.....any posts from myself, Ingram, Julie and Omni are most certainly ahead of where you're at. So skip ours entirely. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.