Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JJ Abrams Star Trek
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
KevinandNick
Supposedly, the writers of the comic "prequel" indicated that the storyline will continue into the first few minutes of the movie.

I have to say that I am more than a little sceptical about this - probably because the whole thing about this "reboot" of Star Trek is to try and draw in new fans and having characters from other series would probably confuse and possibly even frighten off casual movie-goers.

Even though I have been a Star Trek fan for most of my life (I have always been an Original Series fan), I long thought that Piller & Berman were strip-mining the franchise and that it needed a good long rest before continuing. I am hoping that the rest has been sufficiently long.

Kev W
Raven
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Mar 4 2009, 12:16 PM) *
I have to say that I am more than a little sceptical about this - probably because the whole thing about this "reboot" of Star Trek is to try and draw in new fans and having characters from other series would probably confuse and possibly even frighten off casual movie-goers.

I doubt any casual movie-goers will know about it until they are in the cinema - I can't see anyone who isn't interested in Star Trek either looking out this sort of information or being that bothered by it.
widowspider
Well, Brent Spiner has said (via Twitter) that he was not in the movie. However, Wil Wheaton lets slip a spoiler:

QUOTE (Wil Wheaton on Twitter)
Just to set the record straight: I play Data in JJ's new Star Trek movie. Apparently, @BrentSpiner was not available, or something.

SPOILER ALERT: A huge part of the reboot is that Data now has a beard. He also wears totally awesome boots that have little ducks on them. I also insisted that Data carry a Tricorder that said BAD MOTHERFUCKER on it. There was some resistance, but it was futile, of course.

I love Wil.
Omniscia
Unfortunately, that's enough in keeping with Data's character de-velopment over the last couple of films that I can actually see it happening...
Raven
Novelisation Cover - contains spoilers!
m0r1arty
I made this!

-m0r
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 5 2009, 01:52 PM) *
Novelisation Cover - contains spoilers!

That is a very Trek movie plot, which is good.
Raven
New Trailer.

Yoiks!
widowspider
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 6 2009, 01:14 PM) *

Fuckin 'ell!
gulfcoast_highwayman
They showed the trailer before Watchmen this morning, and it does look rather exciting.
widowspider
I really hope this trailer is on the front of Watchmen tonight.
curtinparloe
They had it on before the IMAX version too. It's definitely not designed for such a big screen - you can get the same effect by watching the old trailer with your nose against the screen, and having someone grab your hair and thrash your head around.
Ade
New. Trailer. Oh. My. God.

Love the planet-destroying Death Star moment. This film has the makings of a sci-fi corker.
widowspider
QUOTE (Ade @ Mar 10 2009, 10:15 PM) *
New. Trailer. Oh. My. God.

Love the planet-destroying Death Star moment. This film has the makings of a sci-fi corker.

It was shown in front of Watchmen last Friday. I about wet myself.
Raven
US Poster:

I prefer the alternate version myself:

Hobbes
The second one to me really resembles a Star Wars poster, no?
Raven
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Mar 30 2009, 10:06 PM) *

Not enough characters present for that!
Jon 79
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Mar 30 2009, 10:06 PM) *

It's certainly a more traditional movie poster.

I do like the top one for being different though. It could almost be a magazine advert for a car or a shaver or something. ...plus the fact that it has a white background... how many sci-fi movie posters do you know that don't have a dark background?
logger
I think the poster should be more like this

or this

or this
Omniscia
Not enough ellipses in that, logger.
Raven
Sequel given the go-ahead.

Looks like Paramount are confident then!
KevinandNick
The new movie had a surprise screening in Austin, Texas yesterday and the buzz was VERY positive.

The only slightly weak factor in it is that Eric Bana is not given enough to do as the villian.

Mr P is attracting good notices as Scotty. smile.gif

Kev W
thirtyhelens
Was just looking at the Sydney premiere photos.

Oof. I think I need to see a doctor.

(I also caved and watched the Bones-centric clip on Yahoo. Without spoiling anything... it looked pretty close to "the Urban hath nailed it" to me.)
Sostie
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Apr 7 2009, 05:13 PM) *
The new movie had a surprise screening in Austin, Texas yesterday and the buzz was VERY positive.

Not really an indicator of how good it is though. I think the heightened excitement of having it sprung on them as a surprise, and being the first to see it may well influence any reasoned opinion. Unless it was utterly shit.

I have no doubt it will be good though, I'm just not going to listen to the opinions of people who'd pay to go and see Wrath Of Khan happy.gif
logger
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Apr 8 2009, 07:29 AM) *
Oof. I think I need to see a doctor.

I'm a doctor not a sex object, dammit!
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 8 2009, 01:49 PM) *
Not really an indicator of how good it is though. I think the heightened excitement of having it sprung on them as a surprise, and being the first to see it may well influence any reasoned opinion.

From the BBC's web site:

QUOTE (Random Star Trek Fan)
Just saw the new Star Trek movie and it MELTED MY PANTS!!!!!

Possibly not the most reliable person to give a balanced view . . . Full article here: Spock gives fans Star Trek treat.

I guess the plus side is they didn't end up with a room full of irrate Trekkies.

I have the first week in May off, not specifically for this, but I think I will try to get tickets for the first day.
KevinandNick
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 8 2009, 01:49 PM) *
Not really an indicator of how good it is though. I think the heightened excitement of having it sprung on them as a surprise, and being the first to see it may well influence any reasoned opinion. Unless it was utterly shit.

I have no doubt it will be good though, I'm just not going to listen to the opinions of people who'd pay to go and see Wrath Of Khan happy.gif

There were constructive opinions - the biggest problem that people had with it was that Eric Bana's character wasn't as strong as other Trek Villains.

I'd pay money to see a freshly-minted print of The Wrath of Khan... wink.gif

Kev W
maian
Empire's review

Not necessarily to be trusted, but I'm a tad more optimistic about it than I was.
Omniscia
Yeah, well, they also gave Kingdom of the Crystal Skull four out of five.

But I'm hopeful it will be good. As long as J.J. Abrams gives it a proper resolution, and doesn't run out of ideas like at the end of M:I:III...
Raven
BBC News Review - looks like the watch-word is "fun".
grumpygit
Simon Pegg at London Star Trek premiere
Raven
QUOTE (CazBag @ Apr 21 2009, 11:16 AM) *

Did you pop along?
Sostie
On the Radio 1 news this morning, during a report on the Premiere, the newsreader said "...Chris Pine is playing Captain Kirk, Heroes star Zachary Quinto, Mr Spock, and Simon Pegg, Chewbacca." Just to wind up the geeks. And wound up they were.
Wife Of Rolex
Ok, so I was wrong. The reviews suggests it's actually pretty good.

But I'm still not going to see it at the cinema or buy the dvd. Not even the Peggster can sway me to sit through Star Trek.
Jimmay
I happened to be driving over to a meeting and caught Simon Pegg on Edith Bowman's show for the whole hour I was in the car. He was very fun as usual and fielded the typical 3rd Series/Spaced Movie question. He gave the guy a bit of hard time for it actually which amused me. Nothing new really though other than he's just about to head out the States to start filming Paul.
CazBag
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 21 2009, 11:17 AM) *
Did you pop along?

Sadly I wasn't in London last night otherwise I would've had a wander over to Leicester Square. Though by the looks of it probably wouldn't have seen a lot unless you'd have been down there 10 hours in advance!

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 21 2009, 02:35 PM) *
But I'm still not going to see it at the cinema or buy the dvd. Not even the Peggster can sway me to sit through Star Trek.

What? Not even that little bit tempted ... ?

The premiere's made it into OK! and some more pics here.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (CazBag @ Apr 21 2009, 02:45 PM) *
What? Not even that little bit tempted ... ?

Would you believe...no. ohmy.gif

Not even the trailer has sparked any desire. I might catch it on TV in a couple of years or something. But, I'm pleased to hear Simon has seemingly broken the chain of all odd numbered Star Trek movies being the shit ones.

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing/hearing Simon in TinTin and Ice Age 3, though. This is just a mere blip in my Pegg love. I'm sure he's great in it, but Star Trek just isn't my thing.

Apart from that song Star Trekin'. Heh, funny.
Raven
QUOTE (CazBag @ Apr 21 2009, 02:45 PM) *
Sadly I wasn't in London last night otherwise I would've had a wander over to Leicester Square. Though by the looks of it probably wouldn't have seen a lot unless you'd have been down there 10 hours in advance!

Yes, there is that, I suppose . . .

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 21 2009, 03:00 PM) *
But, I'm pleased to hear Simon has seemingly broken the chain of all odd numbered Star Trek movies being the shit ones.

All by himself, clever lad!
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 21 2009, 03:23 PM) *
All by himself, clever lad!

Naturally. wink.gif
grumpygit
Simon on GMTV
logger
Trekkies bash new film as 'fun and watchable'
grumpygit
Collider.com Interview with Simon
Starscream`s Ghost
Teh Wheaton liked it.

widowspider
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 8 2009, 12:25 PM) *
Teh Wheaton liked it.

Awesome.
Julie
And Ade, too, apparently.

I enjoyed it. It was fun to watch but I found it definitely lacking in Trek-ness. Having been a fairly raging Trekkie throughout my youth, I was left with a sense that it was something separate. Which, I suppose, is fair.

The cast were excellent, though.
ella
Just been to see it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Spaceships, explosions, shootiness and a fight on a very narrow platform that is up very high. Just what Sci-Fi needs in my opinion. But that comes from someone who didn't really get into Star Trek the serieses. My other half knows his Trek though and he liked it but his friend had exactly the same opinion as you Jules.

To paraphrase Scotty - I like this film - it's exciting!

Characters did indeed rock and Pegg was a highlight - needed a bit more of Scotty to be honest.
KevinandNick
QUOTE (Julie @ May 8 2009, 05:30 PM) *
It was fun to watch but I found it definitely lacking in Trek-ness.

I have been picking up that kinda vibe about it - I'll be seeing it tomorrow, so I'll be able to find out for myself.

Kev W
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.