Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JJ Abrams Star Trek
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Raven
With Enterprise set to sail off US screens in May news is now filtering out of Paramount that the franchise itself may not be as dead as the TV series demise suggests.

Apparently Erik Jendresen, who's previous work includes Band of Brothers, has been asked to take a run at a draft for a possible 11th film.

Following all the rumours about prequel movies set during the Romulan Wars hopefully this will be something fresh and interesting!

You can read a short article about this here.
Omniscia
You can read more about it here, as well, courtesy of TrekToday. I'm worried.
winger
Cool.. After all that’s what happened when all the fans got mad when the original series (i.e. captain Kirk) was going to end... apart from the first one those are the best star trek films by far, perhaps with the exception of the hopeless one about meeting god or something...

All the next generation films were rubbish in comparison.. there were better double episodes than that last one... </rant>
Omniscia
First Contact and Generations were fine by me, but my favourite is still The Undiscovered Country. Yes, I know, Wrath Of Khan is excellent, but I just can't watch that one as easily.
winger
they [the producers] more focused on developing films for younger audiences than long-time Star Trek fans. (from the link kindly provided by Omniscia)

oh great... sound like what Mr Lucas was thinking when he came up with... ja .... no i cant bring myself to say its name...
Svein
My personal faves for the Trek Movies go in this order...

II - Wrath of Khan... This movie is as close to perfection as you get...
IV - The Voyage Home... "We are looking for the Nuclear Wessels..."
VI - The Undiscovered Country... "You cannot appreciate Shakespeare until you have heard it in the original Klingon..."
VIII - First Contact - Borg Queen... HELLO!
X - Nemesis - I really enjoyed this...

Then the rest in no particular order...

I - The Motionless Picture
III - The Search for Money
V - Bill and Gene's Bogus Journey
VII - Generation HUH?
IX - InSUCKtion...
winger
LOL! right on with the alternative film names...... laugh.gif laugh.gif
Serafina_Pekkala
VIII - First Contact - Borg Queen... HELLO!
X - Nemesis - I really enjoyed this...

exactly!!!! i love these films ...

i liked TNG and not the original series so thats maybe why.

Patrick Stewart is in good nick for his age (having a girlfriend 25 years + younger agrees with him) but some of the others are a bit long in the tooth really.

I honestly think they shoould give it a rest to be honest or bring in younger characters from other series like Bashir and Ezri.

Sefi x
Raven
I think the only truly bad Trek film that has been made is The Final Frontier, the rest - to varying degrees - are generally okay and in some cases (I, II, VI and VII) really rather good.

Insurrection was really a TV episode given the big screen treatment - it's okay but for the big screen you want something a little less mundane.

The thing that worries me about any future Trek is that Berman will still be at the helm - when you hear him rattling on about “franchise fatigue” you wonder whether it really is the franchise that is fatigued or himself . . .
Omniscia
As far as I'm concerned, Rick Berman can go screw himself. As Roddenberry's successor, I am holding him personally responsible for every misstep the franchise has taken.
ronlogan1977
Sure as eggs is eggs or as every odd numbered Star Trek is shit.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Mar 1 2005, 02:37 PM)
Sure as eggs is eggs or as every odd numbered Star Trek is shit.

Classic, and true.

It will have to be something really good to reinvigorate this tired old franchise.

I love Khan, The Voyage Home, and Undiscovered, but I just don't care any more!
Baz
I started writing a script for a possible Star Trek film (yes I'm that sad!), but it would never get made, even though the story was good.

I hope they do something different with the 11th as the last film was rubbish. A new cast is a must, with maybe bringing a couple of the old'ens for cameos.
Starscream`s Ghost
Hmmm. a message to the people even considering making another Trek movie...

"LET IT DIE."
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 1 2005, 03:14 PM)
Hmmm. a message to the people even considering making another Trek movie...
"LET IT DIE."

Star Trek still has life in it, but it needs a kick up the arse - not re-imagining.

I'd like to see someone like Joss Whedon get his hands on it and turn Trek into something a little less stiff and formulaic, whilst at the same time staying true to the original series. I believe it can be done, it's just a question of getting the right people.
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Mar 1 2005, 03:07 PM)
I started writing a script for a possible Star Trek film (yes I'm that sad!), but it would never get made, even though the story was good.
I hope they do something different with the 11th as the last film was rubbish. A new cast is a must, with maybe bringing a couple of the old'ens for cameos.

I've been writing Star Trek related fiction for about five years now, but am about to kick playing in RPG's for good as most of the people in them can't write and just want to pop off down to the holodeck and kill Klingons . . . wacko.gif

I'm working on my own Trek based story but it's slow going - especially with all these DVD's I keep ordering tongue.gif

Moving on, Nemesis was a good story but it was poorly executed - jokes that should have been funny fell flat and everyone looked too uncomfortable. Say what you like about Thunderbirds but I feel Nemesis would have been a much better film if Frakes had directed it.
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 1 2005, 06:03 PM)
Star Trek still has life in it, but it needs a kick up the arse - not re-imagining.

I'd like to see someone like Joss Whedon get his hands on it and turn Trek into something a little less stiff and formulaic, whilst at the same time staying true to the original series.  I believe it can be done, it's just a question of getting the right people.

I like that idea... But only if we can get Nicky Brendon in there somehow!
madfish
bring back sisko (sp?) from ds0, by far the best captain there has been.
Omniscia
QUOTE (madfish @ Mar 1 2005, 03:19 PM)

DS9, you mean.

The captain for me will always be Jean-Luc Picard.
madfish
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 1 2005, 10:04 PM)
DS9, you mean.

yeah sorry, typo
Raven
I'd have to vote for Picard as well.
Svein
Kirk would so kick Picard's ass...

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I JUST SAID THAT
williambuckrogers
QUOTE (madfish @ Mar 1 2005, 07:19 PM)

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 1 2005, 10:04 PM)
DS9, you mean.

QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 2 2005, 12:03 AM)
I'd have to vote for Picard as well.

QUOTE (Svein @ Mar 2 2005, 08:57 AM)
Kirk would so kick Picard's ass...

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I JUST SAID THAT

isnt this discussion one of the first signs of the apocalypse...?
Raven
QUOTE (williambuckrogers @ Mar 2 2005, 09:31 AM)
isnt this discussion one of the first signs of the apocalypse...?

Nope, that'll happen when someone proclaims Archer to be the best Trek captain wink.gif
williambuckrogers
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 2 2005, 01:31 PM)
Nope, that'll happen when someone proclaims Archer to be the best Trek captain wink.gif

nah, we'd be well into armageddon by the time that ever happens! biggrin.gif
Omniscia
Oh, come on! If Picard can take on a Nausicaan and live, he can handle Kirk. Kirk is probably a dirty fighter, though; Kobayashi Maru, anyone?

However, out of all the captains, Sisko is the only one bold enough to punch Q in the face. Janeway just slept with him.
m0r1arty
Do you reckon anybody other than Piccard would scream 'There are four lights!" and then at the end actually admit to seeing only three?

Kirk would overact, Sisko would use magic from the wormhole, Jayneway would ask for a hanky so she could blow her nose, Pike would get them to harness all the energy of the ship to blow open a big hole and Archer would just keep looking in the mirror and saying 'Oh Boy!' even when he didn't want to and Harriman wouldn't know what to do!! And don't even start me on Garrett, why it's her fault that the Next Gen ain't all Klingon wars.......why I oughta!

-m0r
Raven
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Mar 2 2005, 01:48 PM)
Do you reckon anybody other than Piccard would scream 'There are four lights!" and then at the end actually admit to seeing only three?

I thought it was five lights? [/nerd] huh.gif
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 2 2005, 01:51 PM)
I thought it was five lights? [/nerd] huh.gif

i even know what episode this is from and who said it and everything ...

what's that noise??? the sound of my cool-o-meter going up very high into nerd territory.

Picard is ace - much as i am a massive DS9 fan. Dr Bashir would twat all of the above cos he is genetically engineered, man!

Sefi x
Raven
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 2 2005, 02:09 PM)
i even know what episode this is from and who said it and everything ...

That's easy, Chain of Command part 2 - the very talented David Warner as the evil Gul Madred interogating Picard.
The Good Chap
How many shows have Trek made now?

You've got The Original series, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise and ten films.

How many times have we had a REALLY god look at life on Twenty-Third century Earth? Apart from the odd glimpse (like Oxford University in All good Things) not very often.

How about a Trek show about a shadowy Starfleet Special Forces Unit that handles all the stuff that threatens humanity on Earth. Romulan Agents and the like.

Bugger the final frontier.
Raven
I wouldn't want to see that, as I see it as taking some of the more dubious aspects of the later Trek series and expanding on them.

The original series was about peaceful co-operation between different races (those within the Federation anyway) and was about people working to over-come intolerance, discrimination and prejudice - something along the lines of what is suggested above would be more in the mold of James Bond than Trek.

Sadly that seems to be more the way Trek is going . . .
whitey
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 2 2005, 06:45 PM)
The original series was about peaceful co-operation between different races (those within the Federation anyway) and was about people working to over-come intolerance, discrimination and prejudice

And Kirk having sex with alien dolly birds. I felt sorry for Picard. Kirk got laid all the time, I only saw Picard with a woman once and it didn't work out.
Raven
QUOTE (whitey @ Mar 2 2005, 06:47 PM)
And Kirk having sex with alien dolly birds. I felt sorry for Picard. Kirk got laid all the time, I only saw Picard with a woman once and it didn't work out.

Yeah and that . . . wink.gif

Picard did get it together with a few different women over the course of the TV series and the films but he was never the womanizer that Kirk was!
whitey
He didn't get to shoot as much stuff either. Kirk was quite white trash really. All "guns n pussy."
Raven
QUOTE (whitey @ Mar 2 2005, 06:54 PM)
He didn't get to shoot as much stuff either. Kirk was quite white trash really. All "guns n pussy."

He was definitely over-compensating for something . . . tongue.gif
whitey
Trek has always aggravated me because none of the characters seem flawed enough. Everybody's really polite and knows their place in the federation hierarchy. It doesn't seem real to me. I'd like to see Picard stumbling around the ship drunk one night, trying to drive the Enterprise on his own, stalling it and scraping it against Voyager trying to parallel park. Taking a swing at Worf when he tries to restrain him. We've all done it.
Raven
Trek is obviously an idealized view of the future but what's so wrong about having a show that is being positive about where humanity is going?

Look at just about every other sci-fi franchise and they are set in a dystopia, Star Trek is one of the few that is set in a utopia and I think that is one of the reasons why it has proved so popular over the years - it shows that people can work together and work out their differences.

Granted, at the moment it's a pipe dream, but does that make it wrong to believe that people can change? (and a lot of the Trek characters have stumbled in their time, granted not as much as you or I but none of them have been perfect by any means).
whitey
True, the comfortable niceness of a Universe where everyone gets along and is considerate is one of the best aspects of the show. I just always felt it could have used a couple of characters who hate their job or something. Show up late, fumble a mission through incompetence, shit like that.
Raven
QUOTE (whitey @ Mar 2 2005, 07:30 PM)
I just always felt it could have used a couple of characters who hate their job or something. Show up late, fumble a mission through incompetence, shit like that.

You never saw an episode of Voyager with Harry Kim or Neelix did you . . . tongue.gif
whitey
Nah. Beyond TNG my Trek experience is quite limited.
Raven
If you want characters with flaws then I can recommend DS9, that was a lot more gritty than TNG smile.gif
whitey
Maybe I'm wrong about what I want then. I hated DS9. Bored me silly.
Raven
QUOTE (whitey @ Mar 2 2005, 07:57 PM)
Maybe I'm wrong about what I want then. I hated DS9. Bored me silly.

Did you see the later seasons? It was a bit "dry" for the first two/three. Got interesting when the Klingons showed up smile.gif
SkipToTheEnd
If is say "Star Trek's a big pile of shit", how many people will shout "get out!"?
whitey
One to one and a half seasons of boredom is about as much leeway as I'll give a show. Why'd it take so long? Surely angry unreasonable Klingons are vital to any Trek series' success.
Raven
QUOTE (The Good Chap @ Mar 2 2005, 05:24 PM)
. . . (like Oxford University in All good Things) . . .

That was Cambridge, Data was holding Stephen Hawking's current job, The Netwon Chair (or something . . . ).

[/udergeek] tongue.gif
Raven
QUOTE (whitey @ Mar 2 2005, 08:07 PM)
One to one and a half seasons of boredom is about as much leeway as I'll give a show. Why'd it take so long? Surely angry unreasonable Klingons are vital to any Trek series' success.

It was starting to get there during Season 3, but it really kicked off during season 4 - the production standards and effects both seemed to take a bit of a jump forward at the same time and they also started making better use of the secondary characters on the show.

Worked for me anyway smile.gif
Zoe
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 2 2005, 06:45 PM)
The original series was about peaceful co-operation between different races (those within the Federation anyway) and was about people working to over-come intolerance, discrimination and prejudice

There's some interesting stuff going on in the original series. When covering race during a Science Fiction module at University I read parts of an interesting book called 'Star Trek and History: Race-Ing Toward a White Future'. Made me look at the show a little differently.
Raven
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 2 2005, 08:42 PM)
There's some interesting stuff going on in the original series. When covering race during a Science Fiction module at University I read parts of an interesting book called 'Star Trek and History: Race-Ing Toward a White Future'. Made me look at the show a little differently.

How so? I've always thought of the original Trek as being the most diverse, the latter series have tended to have aliens fill the rolls of different ethnic groups. Was this book saying Trek was a good or bad example?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.