Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comic Relief
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2
Svein
I'll be watching...
Tiffany_Aching
I like comic relief, and Simon Pegg will be on or so I have been told!
frostitute
Be sure to look for a really really small cameo by Nick in the Spidey Plant Man segment (according to that guy who posted in the Comic Relief thread in Castwatch).

I just want to know if he is indeed in it.
Svein
Do you mean short cameo, or microscopic cameo?
beatoswald
i'm helping setting up a book sale this evening (i live on the edge) and going to the cinema afterwards so unfortuanetaly i'll probably miss most of it but i'll tape it for later, hoorah for technology.
Ingram
I will be watching, but I am currently participating in a charity day for Comic Relief as I am sure many of you will be around the country.
frostitute
QUOTE (Svein @ Mar 11 2005, 06:01 AM)
Do you mean short cameo, or microscopic cameo?

Dunno, guess you'll have to watch and find out!
Svein
Micro-Simon... The new range of products from Mattel!
PrincessKate
I believe I'm going out to a fundraiser a la union bar ce soir-and don't actually have a tv anyway, so will be asking mes parents to tape it for me.
Swonky
I'll be watching, but only becuase there might be some sightings. I'm with Tim from The Office on this one, I just don't like a whole evening of someone else's idea of 'wackiness', in fact that whole speech he does in 2:5 about Comic Relief is spot on.

It's slightly more appealing than Children In Need though, put that *out* of it's misery.
superfurryandy
I'll dip in and out of it, but the idea of watching 6 hours of variable TV in order to catch sight of someone who was in a TV programme I like seems an odd one.
Zoe
I'm at work tonight so I'm taping it and then I can fast forward to the good bits, I'm a genius.

The best thing about Comic Relief? It doesn't clash with 'Nathan Barley'.
Raven
I'll be down the pub and then watching some DVDs - I can't see me watching too much of the show as I usually find this sort of thing as dull as hell.
Starscream`s Ghost
I`ll be watching anything but, like Raven, it`ll probably be DVDs, Nathan Barley (you finally got me into it, Zoe) and I think WWE Smackdown is on too. I`ll give money to Comic Relief, but for gawd`s sake don`t make have to watch that shit.
Swonky
For some reason the devestatingly simple yet cunning plan of recording it didn't occur to me. Shall be doing that !

I've just seen they're doing the Blind Date thing again where Dawn French gets to kiss some hot blokey whilst he tries to hide his distaste yet try to appear like a good sport and Jennifer Saunders will be 'doing' The Spice Girls. I see I shall be making liberal use of the fast forward button...

Like Live Aid/Band Aid, it had genuine passion and commitment when it first started, but now just seems like a shallow PR stunt for the latest 'in thing' to get exposure (eg. Little Britain and some EastEnders starlet desperate for a recording contract). If anything is going to make me *not* give money, it's that.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Swonky @ Mar 11 2005, 09:33 AM)
Like Live Aid/Band Aid, it had genuine passion and commitment when it first started, but now just seems like a shallow PR stunt for the latest 'in thing' to get exposure (eg. Little Britain and some EastEnders starlet desperate for a recording contract).  If anything is going to make me *not* give money, it's that.

You're probably right on that. I was wondering why there hasn't been much discussion about this as there has been in the past. I guess your reason would be the answer. I will be watching it...sort of....I will get a tape of it eventually. I like to watch it only cause it informs me of the good and bad of the Brit comedy world.
Svein
I'm gonna watch it 'cause usually there are a few gems!
Raven
QUOTE (Svein @ Mar 11 2005, 04:47 PM)
I'm gonna watch it 'cause usually there are a few gems!

Yeah, but there's usually a fare number of turds as well . . . wink.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 11 2005, 04:48 PM)
Yeah, but there's usually a fare number of turds as well . . . wink.gif

Yeah, Jonathon Ross for one.
A-Friend
its generally worth flicking in and out of - and normally picks up after 9:30 or so i seem to remember.

anyone have an idea what time simon/jess/nick will be on? I imagine it will be towards the end, after all the "mainstreamers" have turned off!!
Simsydav
I dislike Comic Relief allot.

Although, yes, it is good to give money to those worse off. But, the problem is, is that almost everyone after the Comic Relief stuff is over, and off of the telly, people go back to their normal selfish self, saying they care about the starving and the poor people, and then going to Mcdonalds.

Its the same with the Tsunami appeal. 2005 was supposed to be the year, set aside for the ending of debts in Africa, in which millions of people are in poverty, and die every single year as a result. Because of the Tsunami, and because of everyone giving money to the Tsunami appeal, Africa will yet again suffer the concsequences. People only seem to react by giving, when there is a catastrophe, or a natural disaster (Tsunami, 9/11 etc.), and the people of Africa are having a life struggle, all the time.

Im not saying dont give money to the Tsunami Apeal, just, dont forget Africa. Yes, I realise that Comic Relief is for the people of Africa, but, the amount raised every year is miniscule when compared with what Comic Relief raises.

I hate it how two faced people are. Yes, give money and things to good causes, that are on the TV, just dont forget them afterwards, and most importantly, dont forget those that are always suffering. Its all very well supporting the people of Africa while Comic Relief is on, but then, a week later, when the TV coverage is gone, dont forget them, they are still suffering.

Poverty is not like a cold, like suffering for a week or two, and then getting better. It is like an almost incurable disease. And the only way to cure it, is by getting wrid of personal greed, and Capitalism, and, whats easier, by helping all the time.

Its like a diet, for the time that you are on the diet, you loose weight. But, afterwards, and you go back to your natural eating habits, you put the weight on again. Poverty requires more than simply a months worth of donations to be cured, it needs years of work.

Dont forget them, as so is often done, after all the fuss has gone.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Mar 11 2005, 05:28 PM)
I realise that Comic Relief is for the people of Africa

Wrong, and a very common misconception, and part of the reason I don`t particularly like Comic Relief.

Yes, a lot of the money goes to Africa, but that`s not all, it`s supposed to go to UK-based charities too, which it does, and does a lot of good work too. But everytime they advertise on the telly on the run-up to CR, they always show starving African kids, or African kids with AIDS. That to me is playing with people`s emotions, and I don`t like it. It says a lot about the attitude of the West these days when we get more worked up about problems thousands of miles away, and couldn`t care less about homelessness or poverty just outside in the street.

It also highlights a deeper problem I have, that of the West being made to feel "guilty" or "responsible". Too many times these days do we hear that we have to give money because we should feel "responsible" because we have so much, and other countries have so little. Why? Because I`ve been born in the "4th richest country" (which I don`t believe for a second, poverty is rife in the UK) I should give my money to other countries? I think not, especially when there`s so much in this country that needs sorting.

Besides, it smacks too much of being the "World`s Policeman" again, and I don`t like that feeling that everytime there`s trouble in the world, Britain will come running. Surely the US and Europe should stick their necks out once in a while too, but you never seem to hear much about it.

Anyway, rant over. My point is this:

Give to charity if you wish to. If not, never let anyone guilt trip you into it.
Ell
It's not that it's not my cup of tea, the pub is just a much preffered evening waster.
superfurryandy
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 11 2005, 05:41 PM)
It also highlights a deeper problem I have, that of the West being made to feel "guilty" or "responsible". Too many times these days do we hear that we have to give money because we should feel "responsible" because we have so much, and other countries have so little. Why? Because I`ve been born in the "4th richest country" (which I don`t believe for a second, poverty is rife in the UK) I should give my money to other countries? I think not, especially when there`s so much in this country that needs sorting.

But the West can be held accountable for problems elsewhere - if Western politicians hadn't turned their backs and whistled then genocide may have been avoided in Rwanda - the reason for the genocide? Artificial divisions amongst Rwandans which was a legacy of colonisation when one group was favoured over another.

As far as I'm concerned I'm part of the human race, not just that little patch of it where I was lucky enough to be born - why not be concerned with problems at 'home' and elsewhere - it's all human suffering.
Starscream`s Ghost
Rwanda was nothing to do with the UK, though, it was Belgium, I believe. (Belgian Congo, I think-could be wrong.)

I wish I could think in terms of "We`re all human", but I just can`t. I`m a realist, at the end of the day, and know full well that humans aren`t like that, it`s only a few that do think like that.

And besides, I`m sick and tired of being made to feel guilty and bad about what`s happening in a country I`ve never been to, and being told that it`s my fault because my ancestors did something there 200 years before I was born. Fuck that. We don`t blame today`s German or Japanese populaces for what their ancestors did in WWII, so why do the British have to shoulder the blame for what theirs did in colonial times? The logic just doesn`t add up.

That being said, I give to charity. I gave to the Tsunami appeal, and Comic Relief. However, there`s plenty of charities I refuse to give to (Any Christian charity for instance, they use aid to blackmail communities into converting, and that is just sick in my book) but then, that`s the beauty of choice.
superfurryandy
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 11 2005, 06:33 PM)
Rwanda was nothing to do with the UK, though, it was Belgium, I believe. (Belgian Congo, I think-could be wrong.)

Yeah, but you said the 'West', not the UK.

That being said, I give to charity. I gave to the Tsunami appeal, and Comic Relief.

I knew you were a softy at heart.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Mar 11 2005, 06:40 PM)
I knew you were a softy at heart.

Take it back, take it back!!!

That`s just low, that is.
Ingram
I like it, but some of the presenters really get on my tits.
Simsydav
You have the same surname, If Ingram is your surname, as my old maths teacher.

I hate maths, such a horrible, horrible subject.
Ingram
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Mar 11 2005, 07:15 PM)
You have the same surname, If Ingram is your surname, as my old maths teacher.

I hate maths, such a horrible, horrible subject.

It is my surname, but then again it's reasonably common. I think everyone hates maths really, even if they claim to like it it's only because they are good at it...
tameblue
Can't wait!!!!!

Lenny Henry in his once a year red suit....maybe he'll wave his arms and do Theopolous T Wildebeast too.....

And if we're really lucky his pointless, overweight, wife will come on and give us one of her hilarious...look at me, a big person pretending to be a small person...routines.

Think maybe I'll go grate my scrotum instead.
Ingram
Fame Academy... mad.gif
toasted rayman spawn
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 11 2005, 06:41 PM)
Wrong, and a very common misconception, and part of the reason I don`t particularly like Comic Relief.

Yes, a lot of the money goes to Africa, but that`s not all, it`s supposed to go to UK-based charities too, which it does, and does a lot of good work too. But everytime they advertise on the telly on the run-up to CR, they always show starving African kids, or African kids with AIDS. That to me is playing with people`s emotions, and I don`t like it. It says a lot about the attitude of the West these days when we get more worked up about problems thousands of miles away, and couldn`t care less about homelessness or poverty just outside in the street.

Besides, it smacks too much of being the "World`s Policeman" again, and I don`t like that feeling that everytime there`s trouble in the world, Britain will come running. Surely the US and Europe should stick their necks out once in a while too, but you never seem to hear much about it.

Anyway, rant over. My point is this:

Give to charity if you wish to. If not, never let anyone guilt trip you into it.

Of course you don't hear much about fundraising in other countries, you live in the uk. Last time i checked i don't think the uk were 1st place in the table of those that give aid to other countries. You are right for the wrong reasons. A lot of problems in the third world were *created* by british imperialism, so thats we (namely the british government and whoever else is responsible)should put our hands in our pockets... however the responsibilty shouldn't lie with those of us who have hardly any money to begin with. I work for the minimum wage, but i'll give what i can to any charity, at home or abroad, whenever i have the opportunity- because i know the situation won't change anytime soon so if i can help at least one person today, i'm pretty happy with that... no matter what side of the globe that person is on.
toasted rayman spawn
QUOTE (Ingram @ Mar 11 2005, 08:51 PM)
Fame Academy...  mad.gif

Sad as it may seem.. i've gotten really addicted to fame academy,But only for the Edith Bowman and Adrian whathisface performances, which i genuinely would like to see more of post comic relief. *hides*
Cornetto
SIMON PEGG PLAYED A REPORTED IN SPIDER PLANT MAN AND NICK FROST MADE A QUCIK APPEARANCE AS A SCIENTIST WITH MAGLED TEETH!
frostitute
Hooray! Good to see.

Is Comic Relief live? Or is it pre-recorded.
Agent Pickle
QUOTE (Ingram @ Mar 11 2005, 07:40 PM)
It is my surname, but then again it's reasonably common.  I think everyone hates maths really, even if they claim to like it it's only because they are good at it...

NO! I adored it! I still read books on it and go to voluntary public lectures on Prime Numbers!

One the topic of Comic Relief - I hate to be a Scrooge, but I'd rather give 50 quid and not have it on telly meself, Still, I suppose if it's what you're into...
Celticstar
ok then how many of you have cried? i've been in flood of tears! sad.gif makes you feel ever so grateful for what you have smile.gif
spacegurl
Hooray! Good to see.

Is Comic Relief live? Or is it pre-recorded.

Its mainly live but they show pre-recorded shows/ sketches/ clips etc.

Comic relief has really gone downhill since back in the day-it used to be something to look forward to, really funny and everyone made an effort. Now its kinda shite.
Ingram
Jack Dee has been particularly disappointing.
Noodles
For some years now, yes.
CrudelyDrawn
I know Simon and Nick made an appearance in the Spider Plant thing, but what was Mackenzie Crook? I'm an American, so I have no idea. I'm trying to find some way of downloading it...
Cornetto
QUOTE (Ingram @ Mar 11 2005, 09:17 PM)
Jack Dee has been particularly disappointing.

He is good at stand up but really you can't expect much.
Footbacon
QUOTE (CrudelyDrawn @ Mar 11 2005, 09:38 PM)
I know Simon and Nick made an appearance in the Spider Plant thing, but what was Mackenzie Crook? I'm an American, so I have no idea. I'm trying to find some way of downloading it...

He was the scientist guy in it, went on about security on the spider plant being as good as that of Buckingham palace....leading to Simon wub.gif
whixie
I can't watch Comic Relief. I had a bad experience with it 2 years ago. It was the worst thing that could have been on the TV right then.
Simsydav
I had to leave the room when Mcfly came on for that stupid interview.

I wanted to watch the rest of Spider-Plant Man, but I havent gone back in, as Im in fear of seeing Mcfly again...
wacko.gif
widowspider
well they're on right now, so don't go back yet!
some of the video segments absolutley break your heart. it's humbling to see such courageous people making a change in someone's life. definitely worth pledging the cost of a few pints i would have otherwise drunk tomorrow methinks.
little quote from gandhi that i think is particularly apt:

"be the change you want to see in the world".
Noodles
QUOTE (widowspider @ Mar 11 2005, 04:45 PM)
"be the change you want to see in the world".

I tried that once, but the police took offense to me walking around naked.

Edit - sorry. I didn't mean to be so flippant. Comic Relief is a great cause, but I always shy away from this sort of thing after seeing the mess that Band Aid and Live Aid made of Ethiopia. I suppose in my head I like to think that I don't need to be reminded to be charitable - though in truth, that's probably not true.
Simsydav
Thats actually a really nice quote.

I might use it for MSN
pots
good to see coogan back as alan partridge - reminded me of what a great character he is.

and simsydav, i know what you're saying about thinking about charity / poverty once a year and then forgetting about it, but the bottom line is, without things like comic relief and the tsunami aid effort this money wouldn't be being raised. its enough to put your concerns aside for one day and pledge a little cash.

and its worth putting up with the 'crazy' antics if it raises a few quid ( a few million quid ) for a worthy cause.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.