Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a Girl to Buy?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Julie
So I get another student loan payment during the week, and now I must decide how to spend it poorly!

I'm obviously going to get the Spaced boxed set (finally!) but I've heard everyone talking about a bunch more that have piqued my interest.

So, any suggestions as to what I should spend my not so hard earned money on? Other than tuition and rent I mean...

Thanks everyone!
whixie
I voted Black Books. Go for series 1 it is hilarious.
Agent Pickle
The Office, but only if you get both series' and the Christmas Specials. Those episodes were some of the best TV I've seen in a long time.

I don't really remember Black Books - I've not seen it in a few years, so I forgte how good it was. As for Big Train, I do like it, but sketch shows tend to get a bit stale fairly quickly , I always feel. And I've not seen Danger! So The Office it is.
SuperSaiyanStoner
yeah, if youve not seen it yet then black books is a must!
maian
I voted for Black Books, although I'd recommend Big Train as well (altough the 2nd series lags behind the first) and all three series of Black Books are brilliant (except for Moo-Ma and Moo-Pa in series 3)
ella
Black Books has my vote too. Buy all three series and watch them in a row biggrin.gif
whitey
Black Books for longevity.
fear_of_pop
I voted for Big Train, because I am jonesing for that myself at the moment.
But Black Books and The Office would all be good too. Oh get all of them. Screw food.
Ingram
Black Books

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype...h&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Looks like individually they are cheaper than the 1-3 box, but I could be wrong.
captain wow
other
Ingram
QUOTE (captain wow @ Mar 14 2005, 03:29 PM)
other

Care to elaborate?
Julie
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Mar 14 2005, 11:16 AM)
Oh get all of them. Screw food.

Haha, you must be a student too!
From everyone's suggestions, I think definately Black Books, and The Office. Is 50,000 Volts no good though? I mean, not no good, but not great I guess? I'm leaning towards fear_of_pop's suggestion of all of them... Life is tough.

And thank you for so many quick replies!
maian
50,000 Volts is good, but compared with the others it doesn't stand up all that well
Stella MM
50,000 Volts is good but not terribly absorbing and probably wouldn't stand up to much repeat viewing. Black Books, on the other hand, just gets better and better the more you watch it.
Jessopjessopjessop
Save your money - invest in some heating, or soap.

tongue.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
Or cigs.
Julie
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 14 2005, 01:14 PM)
Save your money - invest in some heating, or soap.

tongue.gif

Are you telling me I'm cold and smelly? huh.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
I think it`s more of a "you`re a student, you`ll run out eventually and not realise you`ve got none as backup". Believe me, it`ll happen.
Julie
Oh don't you worry, I've been at this game for years. I have run out of shampoo before, but I managed by scraping bits from old bottles that I kept for just such an occasion. Food I run out of all the time, thats when I take a quick trip home to see what dad's cooked smile.gif
fear_of_pop
When I ran out of money, I used to take a dvd back to HMV, they give refunds without receipts!
whixie
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 14 2005, 06:01 PM)
I think it`s more of a "you`re a student, you`ll run out eventually and not realise you`ve got none as backup". Believe me, it`ll happen.

I know that well.
Starscream`s Ghost
Me too, having showered with Jif, it can get pretty bad.
Footbacon
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Mar 14 2005, 06:51 PM)
When I ran out of money, I used to take a dvd back to HMV, they give refunds without receipts!

I once took a dvd back there with the receipt and they wouldn't give me cash! Vouchers or out on your arse!
Lazlo Woodbine
Black Books just edges it for replay value and for quotability. smile.gif
Amazongirl
BIG TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there never was a spaced, This would be my favorite thing EVER!
That or Black books obviously...or danger 50,000 volts
Footbacon
I'd go for Black Books. How about Father Ted though?
Celticstar
i said black books but if i'm honest i'd probably say don't spend it at all cause loans are evil life sucking vortexs biggrin.gif
widowspider
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 14 2005, 07:56 PM)
Me too, having showered with Jif, it can get pretty bad.

mm, so good for your skin... huh.gif
Omniscia
I'll cast a vote for Black Books. Sure, Series 1 is a tad better than the other two, and the entire affair ended without any particular sense of finality, and it does repeat itself at times, but the interplay between Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey (and Tamsin Greig) is delightful. Bernard Black is one of my favourite television characters in recent memory.

Barring that, go for The Office, which is also the only one of the aforementioned series to be released on DVD here in Region 1, as far as I know. Excellent programme. Ricky Gervais is brilliantly, skin-crawlingly tacky and lecherous as office manager David Brent. If you've ever worked in an office environment, you've worked for someone very much like him.
fear_of_pop
I still don't have series 3, and I just saw the clip on TV of him talking about his 'dead' girlfriend. Ohhh it's so sad and poignant, and Dylan does proper hurt acting, poor Bernard. ::I must buy it immediately::
superfurryandy
Other - 15 Storeys High.
Noodles
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Mar 14 2005, 06:49 PM)
Other - 15 Storeys High.

Seconded
Stella MM
Ooh yeah, that is bloody good. Especially the Blue Rat episode.

Though you don't get much bang for your buck as there's only one series.
Shack
I've got all of Black Books and all of The Office and they stand up really well to watching them over and over again.

In terms of "other" you may like to get hold of:

- The Best of the Adam and Joe Show - 6.99 on Play

- Malcolm in the Middle - Season One - On Play, but I think you'll have to go on the international site

- As mentioned earlier in this thread, Father Ted. It really is brilliant. Think they're about 9 sniff for each DVD.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Shack @ Mar 15 2005, 08:10 AM)
- As mentioned earlier in this thread, Father Ted. It really is brilliant. Think they're about 9 sniff for each DVD.

Just remember, every quid is worth $2.30 in Canada, or $1.91 in the States, so that's $20.70 or $17.19 per series for the folks in North America. That's still a far sight cheaper than Amazon.com, which is charging $22-30 USD for individual series of Father Ted, in Region 1/NTSC encoding. Of course, they have the box set for about $60 USD, as opposed to the equivalent of $76.59 if ordering the box set from over there.
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (Shack @ Mar 15 2005, 12:10 PM)
In terms of "other" you may like to get hold of:

- The Best of the Adam and Joe Show - 6.99 on Play

Is that all it costs now?!
(Get that!)
Celticstar
yeah i bought 15 storeys high for crimb along with black books 2 and father ted as crimbo tv is suicidal
whitey
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Mar 15 2005, 12:49 AM)
Other - 15 Storeys High.

Great idea. Maybe if they sell one more copy they'll put series two out.
Julie
For those of you who are horribly interesting in my daily goings on, as you should be, I bought the Office boxed set yesterday, I believe tommorrow I shall be following your generous recommendations and spending every last penny i have on British comedy, well spent I think.

As for the Office, like I said, bought it yesterday, as of this moment, I have watched all 12 episodes and just finished the Christmas special and I am currently crying like a twit.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Julie @ Mar 20 2005, 11:52 PM)
For those of you who are horribly interesting in my daily goings on, as you should be, I bought the Office boxed set yesterday, I believe tommorrow I shall be following your generous recommendations and spending every last penny i have on British comedy, well spent I think.

As for the Office, like I said, bought it yesterday, as of this moment, I have watched all 12 episodes and just finished the Christmas special and I am currently crying like a twit.

Are we horribly interesting? Awwwwwww... biggrin.gif

And, yeah, the ending of the Christmas special gets me every time, too. I hate it when other people get the happy ending that was denied me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.