Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thundercats
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Chapman Baxter
Zoe has become rather exercised in this thread, telling us of her recent revelation that the Thundercats were evil imperialists, Mum Ra their victim, and the Berbils their exploited slaves. I can't remember the show well enough myself to have an opinion; what does everybody else think?
Zoe
They were fucking bastards.

*tee hee*
Lazlo Woodbine
I only have one video and it's true they are quite Bastardish in it. I don't remember the other episodes enough to know if it's true for the rest of them so i'm gonna have to vote for the bastard option.
Ingram
From what I remember they were absolute bastards.
Zoe
Yeeeeahh!

Vindication at last.
Gavibe
I could forgive Cheetarah for being basardish though! She was fine!
Svein
I will come out in favour of the Thundercats... PANTHRO WAS DA MAN!!!
Jubei
They were all ok, except for cheetara who was a ropy bint, which I believe has been explored in the cartoon laydees thread
Beesboy
Surely not! Not sure how they treated the Berbils, but I've got a video where they rescue the Brutemen from slavery so they can't be all bad. They did always cruelly laugh at snarf at the end of every eppisode though.

...Snarf - now he was a legend!
flakmonkey
QUOTE (Svein @ Apr 8 2005, 10:13 AM)
I will come out in favour of the Thundercats...  PANTHRO WAS DA MAN!!!

Yeah, I've gotta agree with the Viking on all counts there
spacemonkey
They were bastards, but snarf was soooo cute smile.gif
Svein

Panthro

Liono

Cheetara

Tygra

Wilykat

Wilykit

Snarf
Draven Grey
QUOTE (spacemonkey @ Apr 8 2005, 07:01 AM)
They were bastards, but snarf was soooo cute smile.gif

Oh i hated that snarf!!
He and Uni from the D&D cartoon... both of em ohhh i wanted so badly to just snap thier wee little necks.
Jubei
Now I'm sure cheetara never looked quite like that...! huh.gif
Svein
QUOTE (Jubei @ Apr 8 2005, 12:59 PM)
Now I'm sure cheetara never looked quite like that...!  huh.gif

She did in my world!
Zoe
That picture of her seems somehow...wrong.

I feel a bit nauseous.
Blind I/O
Well...

And don't forget Pumyra...
Jubei
BANDWIDTH THEIF!!! YOU SHALL BE BRANDED BT FOR EVER MORE!
Raven
QUOTE (Svein @ Apr 8 2005, 12:18 PM)

Cheetara

When fandom goes too far . . . wacko.gif
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 8 2005, 01:46 PM)
When fandom goes too far . . .  wacko.gif

I didn't think such a think was impossible...

Come on... who didn't have a thing for Cheetara... or She-Ra for that matter...

Draven Grey
QUOTE (Svein @ Apr 8 2005, 09:01 AM)
I didn't think such a think was impossible...
Come on... who didn't have a thing for Cheetara...  or She-Ra for that matter...

Even though Kelly Lebrock sealed my fate as a switch hitting chick, She-Ra definately made an impression/
Svein
Cartoon lesbians... gotta love it!
Starscream`s Ghost
They were planet stealing bastards.

I`d still have given Cheetarah one though.
Link
You missed a character, the old guy with the spike on his helmet, can't remember his name. He gives liono the sword of omen in the first episode.
MissingPlanet
I know I watched this show, but as my childhood is one long suppressed memory I have nothing more than a vague memory of it. I can see Zoe's point, but I'm going to reserve judgement for a bit.

Jaga.
Raven
I really don't remember much about the show except that they all suddenly started wearing clothes at the end of the first episode - which seemed odd because I hadn't actually realised they were nude up to that point - and of course:

MUMRA! THE EVERLIVING!!!

Weren’t there two annoying kids in it as well?
Zoe
QUOTE (Beesboy @ Apr 8 2005, 11:22 AM)
Surely not!  Not sure how they treated the Berbils, but I've got a video where they rescue the Brutemen from slavery so they can't be all bad. 

Yeah, rescue them...Lion-o wants to fight them even though they're under a spell that's making them agressive so they can't help it. Then for no reason they suddenly snap out of it. He would have killed them if he had the chance, the 'mind of a six year old' bastard.

Oh and then they're just standing there and Tigra comes out with "Go Brute men, back to your peaceful lives and simple ways". What a patronising bastard.

Mumra is the true hero.
MissingPlanet
They were neither heroes nor bastards, just a bunch of self-righteous, patronising dogooders. The Ro-bear Berbils offered to help them build the Cats Lair, they weren't forced into it.

Mum-Ra seemed like a lazy bastard not really dedicated to evil. He could have been out slaughtering the Ro-bear Berbils and Brutemen, but instead he decided to have a lie-in and only got motivated when the source of ultimate power showed up on his doorstep. I wouldn't say he was the true hero, but I can relate to that attitude more than that of the Thundercats.
Ell
Thundercats could never be bastards! Heroes all the way!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
thirtyhelens
The two annoying kids were Wiley Kat and Wiley Kit. A bit like the furry equivalent of the Wonder Twins. I never liked them.

Panthro, on the other hand? My mofo. Awwww yeah.

Want a good laugh? Absolutely check out L.A. DJ April Winchell's website for a hilarious outtake reel from the Thundercats recording sessions. Filthy kitties. laugh.gif

http://www.aprilwinchell.com/multimedia/

(Scroll down to Outtakes; I'd hotlink the actual file but her site doesn't allow direct links.)

Brilliant.
Kick in the Head
Just dusting off this old thread - someone posted this up on an Ain't it Cool chatback (yes, I know, the most reliable source of information in the world), but it piqued my interest. All-new Thundercats?

"LOOK AT ME! I'M FUCKING ANIME!"
gulfcoast_highwayman
Not nearly gay-enough.

They should keep them as a bunch of muscle marys.
monkeyman
Goddamn this obsession with Eastern inspired animation.
maian
As long as they always start the episode arguing about something trivial, fight something, then end up laughing for two minutes at the end to fill up time, it will have captured the essence of the original series.

I am curious as to why Liono appears to be a heroin addict now, though.
shinyelvenqueen
He's too scrawny. And suffers from a bad case of unpedicured feet.

Nurse, the sander?
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 14 2007, 02:34 PM)
I am curious as to why Liono appears to be a heroin addict now, though.

And indeed a pre-op transsexual.
maian
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 14 2007, 08:17 PM)
And indeed a pre-op transsexual.

Maybe they have updated the show to tackle modern day issues, in much the same way as the original was a subtle critique of unchecked imperialism, both political and economic, sweatshop labour, and a protracted dissection of the machismo and underlying homoeroticism that was the 1980s.

These new ThunderCats are unsure of themselves, they are fighting a war that they no longer believe to be just, and have lost a sense of cultural identity and direction. Some tackle this through violence (Panthro) whilst others use drugs as a means of escape, and attempt to give themselves a new identity (Liono).

I reckon Snarf will be a crackwhore.
empathy-with-beast
Like Apocalypse Now but the surf boards can fly and there's a bit house shaped like a cat.
maian
I was thinking it would be more like the new Battlestar Galactica, but more camp.
logger
Is it me or do the Lionos look like a lesbian couple?
Jon 79
QUOTE (logger @ Jan 14 2007, 09:15 PM)
Is it me or do the Lionos look like a lesbian couple?

LOL!
That's hilarious! laugh.gif

I think the old Liono could well beat up the new one.
Starscream`s Ghost
Why? Why must they keep raping my childhood?

First He-Man, and now...this.
Rua
QUOTE (Svein @ Apr 8 2005, 01:01 PM)

So why did She Ra's sword have a clitoris?

It's like the ultimate sex organ.
Rua
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jan 14 2007, 01:40 PM)

"LOOK AT ME! I'M FUCKING EMO!"
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jan 14 2007, 01:40 PM)

And why did Liono wear elbow gloves to the tanning salon?
logger
^
She Ra twice in one day. Spooky.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 15 2007, 11:19 AM)
And why did Liono wear elbow gloves to the tanning salon?

And evidently a cummerbund and dust mask. What a get up!
maian
Apparently, the new series will see all of the ThunderCats being a band, with instruments that double up as weapons.

If anyone else here has ever seen Sonic Underground, then you know how bad an idea that can be.
DOD-MDK
Horrible, Horrible, Horrible Idea. Cant they leave my childhood alone? They are taking the best parts of it and butt-raping it. Next will be the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles except they will be a bunch of emo-queers crying in a corner because Master Splinter's Training is too tough for them and life in a sewer is hard.

Im sorry for the vulgarity of the post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.