Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crappy covers
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Pages: 1, 2, 3
spacemonkey
What's with bands that cover really good songs and then either totally wreck them, or produce something so similar to the original that you might as well listen to the original?

I know there's already a thread for covers but that one's for good ones & stuff. I just want everyone to have a good rant.

Ok, my current hated one is that cover of I want you to want me, originally be Cheap Trick, who were great.

The cover version has really just replaced the vocals with a weedy female vocal line and because her vocals can't compete with the instrumental track, they've compressed that to hell and back thereby removing any bite or energy and rendering the track pointless. Give me the original any day
PrincessKate
Girls Aloud are about to cover "Wicked Game"...
Stella MM
Fucking Futureheads with their fucking awful cover of Hounds of Love. Makes me want to hunt each member of the band down and beat them to death with their own instruments.
Ell
Scissor Sisters with that awful cover of Comfortably Numb, if i here that one more time on the radio i'm gonna shoot someone!
spacemonkey
QUOTE (Ell @ Apr 10 2005, 11:37 AM)
Scissor Sisters with that awful cover of Comfortably Numb, if i here that one more time on the radio i'm gonna shoot someone!

Oh... that does it... I totally forgot about that one. I think my brain shut it out to prevent itself from imploding.

They're going to be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes (I'm a bit of a rabid Pink Floyd fan)
superfurryandy
All Saints.

Under The Bridge.

Cunts.
PrincessKate
Busted-Teenage Kicks
Busted and Mcfly-Lola

Covering and then murdering the Kinks is sacreligious.
maian
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Apr 10 2005, 10:30 AM)
Fucking Futureheads with their fucking awful cover of Hounds of Love. Makes me want to hunt each member of the band down and beat them to death with their own instruments.

I really think you are being unfair on he Futureheads, their cover is so different to Kate Bush's that it might as well be a different song and that is what a good cover should do, reimagine the song to suit the band's style. I like it as much as the original but i think that the two versions aim to achieve different things.

As far as a cover that i really hate, Hundred Reasons version of How Soon Is Now?, in fact, i hate pretty much every song on that emo-does-the-smiths cover album
innercitysumo
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 10 2005, 12:39 PM)
I really think you are being unfair on he Futureheads, their cover is so different to Kate Bush's that it might as well be a different song and that is what a good cover should do, reimagine the song to suit the band's style. I like it as much as the original but i think that the two versions aim to achieve different things.

As far as a cover that i really hate, Hundred Reasons version of How Soon Is Now?, in fact, i hate pretty much every song on that emo-does-the-smiths cover album

Agree with you on The Futureheads thing, but is the Hundred Reasons version the one used in the opening credits of 'Charmed'? If so, I agree with you on that one as well.
maian
I don't think it's the same one, Hundred Reason's version was recorded last year whilst Charmed has been on for a while now. Not sure who sings the Charmed theme but it's not a patch on the original.
WiseJoeyD
Any Queen cover.

I got a blast of Heather Small's rendition of Save Me (I think..couldn't tell between the warbling and gross key chnages) when I SHOULD have been watching the good Doctor (either I'm 3 hours behind or the DVD fucked up).

G4.....ARGH!! UGHH!!! NNNNNGH!!!!!

That is all.
Sostie
QUOTE (innercitysumo @ Apr 10 2005, 01:02 PM)
Agree with you on The Futureheads thing, but is the Hundred Reasons version the one used in the opening  credits of 'Charmed'? If so, I agree with you on that one as well.

The version on Charmed is by Love Spit Love (aka Psychedelic Furs).

Although not a huge fan of the original...Jessica Simpson doing "Angels" is the most excrutiating thing I've ever heard in my life
Agent Pickle
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Apr 10 2005, 11:03 AM)
Girls Aloud are about to cover "Wicked Game"...

WHAT? HOW?
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Apr 10 2005, 12:40 PM)
Busted-Teenage Kicks

Gah. Idiots.
Stella MM
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 10 2005, 01:39 PM)

Why don't you like any emo bands that cover Smiths songs? I'd venture to suggest that it's the same reason that I loathe the Futureheads - because they've taken a song/artist that's very close to my heart and fucked around with it. You can say that it's 'different', but we both know it's worse.
Sostie
QUOTE (WiseJoeyD @ Apr 10 2005, 01:34 PM)
Any Queen cover.

With the exception, in my opinion, of We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Going To Use It, Frank Sidebottom and Bad New's covers of Bohemian Rhapsody - an overblown, overrated track improved with an injection of humour.
Sean of the Dead
Anything that Gareth Gates has covered.
Starscream`s Ghost
Any Michael Jackson version of Beatle`s songs.

Come Together sticks in the mind, if only for topical reasons.
Ell
QUOTE (spacemonkey @ Apr 10 2005, 10:39 AM)
Oh... that does it... I totally forgot about that one.  I think my brain shut it out to prevent itself from imploding.

They're going to be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes (I'm a bit of a rabid Pink Floyd fan)

Me too mate, thats why i find it so unspeakably back, not only is it a cover of a wicked band that should not be covered, but it's a shit one! mad.gif
MissingPlanet
The Sugababes destruction of Tubeway Army's Are Friends Electric?
maian
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Apr 10 2005, 03:36 PM)
Why don't you like any emo bands that cover Smiths songs? I'd venture to suggest that it's the same reason that I loathe the Futureheads - because they've taken a song/artist that's very close to my heart and fucked around with it. You can say that it's 'different', but we both know it's worse.

I'd actually say that the Futureheads version is equal to if not better than the Kate Bush version at least in terms of being a pop song, Kate Bush's version is much more emotional than the Futureheads version but theirs is designed to get people dancing and is a great slice of art-house punk funk (or whatever the fuck the nme are calling it nowadays)
pots
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 10 2005, 04:19 PM)
Frank Sidebottom

those are two words we don't hear enough these days
Jon 79
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Apr 10 2005, 11:30 AM)

When I first heard that song, I didn't realise it was a cover.
Actually, I don't think I've ever heard the original.
I do like the song. I think it's great! But having heard the rest of the Futureheads album recently, I can tell you 'Hounds of Love' is the only decent song on it. ...(imho)
MissingPlanet
Anyone heard China Drum's cover of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights? Now that's a good cover.
thirtyhelens
Limp Bizkit - "Behind Blue Eyes" - Foul.

No Doubt - "It's My Life" - Rancid.

Billy Idol - "Mony Mony" - Inescapable for some reason when it first came out, I remember distinctly rushing to switch the station only to find it was on the next station I flipped to at the same time. The horror.

Duran Duran - "White Lines" (discussed previously in the "White Lines" thread, heh.) Pains me to say it as they were a childhood obsession. But it's miserable. And when they played it at the reunion show, I sat down and sulked. That whole album was pretty lame, except for "Perfect Day" which was just tolerable.

There are more. Many more. But I will give my stomach a rest.
Stella MM
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Apr 11 2005, 02:24 AM)
When I first heard that song, I didn't realise it was a cover.
Actually, I don't think I've ever heard the original.

Then hie thee to a branch of Fopp and buy the album. I think they've got it for a fiver at the moment. Seriously, you're only half a human if you've only heard that bloody awful cover and not the sublime original.

Like a dog with a bone, me.
Link
Madonna's American Pie is one that springs to mind instantly, but then I have also seen Chesney Hawkes live on stage butchering that, along with John Lennon's imagine.

That remix of "everywhere" by Fleetwood Mac does my nut in.
Sostie
QUOTE (MissingPlanet @ Apr 10 2005, 08:25 PM)
The Sugababes destruction of Tubeway Army's Are Friends Electric?

Not really a cover of that song though. Although, it is a re-recording of an existing bootleg remix that featued the Numan sample
MissingPlanet
True, but it's still recognisable as 'Are Friends Electric?'. And it's awful.
flakmonkey
QUOTE (Ell @ Apr 10 2005, 10:37 AM)

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that cover for the first time. The term "fecking shite" comes to mind. But what really got me was that other people really seemed to like it! They mustn't know the Floyd, cos otherwise they'd abhorr it.
MissingPlanet
Before I post this, I have to say that I did not watch The X Factor. I was staying with a friend with dubious taste and was subjected to the final.

That said, did anyone hear G4's cover of Creep?
Svein
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 10 2005, 05:19 PM)
With the exception, in my opinion, of  We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Going To Use It, Frank Sidebottom  and Bad New's covers of Bohemian Rhapsody - an overblown, overrated track improved with an injection of humour.

And NIN cover of "Get Down, Make Love"!
Svein
I like the Scissor Sisters as a rule, but I hate their cover...

I also hate Limp Biskit's "Behind Blue Eyes"! Was the middle part too tough for them to do... ahhh... bless!

And Phil Collins cover of "True Colors"... pure and utter shite!
flakmonkey
QUOTE (Svein @ Apr 11 2005, 01:40 PM)
I also hate Limp Biskit's "Behind Blue Eyes"!  Was the middle part too tough for them to do...  ahhh... bless!

Lol! laugh.gif
Jon 79
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Apr 11 2005, 11:02 AM)
Then hie thee to a branch of Fopp and buy the album. I think they've got it for a fiver at the moment. Seriously, you're only half a human if you've only heard that bloody awful cover and not the sublime original.

Like a dog with a bone, me.

Oohh.. I don't know. You know how it is when you hear a song you like, then hear another version of it. ... Doesn't really matter which came first if the one you know is so good!

Besides, I don't like Kate bush. Obviously I've not really heard any kate bush apart from the 2 or 3 singles I know (& thought they were a bit cack), So I'll not judge the lady on those songs alone. - Singles aside, the rest of her albums are probably fantastic!
Starscream`s Ghost
Candy Flip - Strawberry Fields Forever. Sacrilege.
maian
I particularly hate Korn's cover of Another Brick in the Wall, it just doesn't work, they shout the lyrics rather than sing with the contempt that Roger Waters did
SkipToTheEnd
Didnt Lemar or someone do a Coldplay one?
SkipToTheEnd
That was preetty bad.
Starscream`s Ghost
If it was a Coldplay song it won`t have been much cop to begin with.
maian
I know that Lemar did 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'-Shit song by a Shit band anyway, so it really was a bad idea from the start. Don't know if anyone has done Coldplay covers, I hope not cos I quite like them and can't wait for their new album and glasto.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 11 2005, 04:10 PM)
I know that Lemar did 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'-Shit song by a  Shit band anyway, so it really was a bad idea from the start. Don't know if anyone has done Coldplay covers, I hope not cos I quite like them and can't wait for their new album and glasto.

Eamon did one in the Live Lounge, I believe. The Scientist, I think it was.

Eamon doing a Coldplay cover. This means I lost interest real quick.
maian
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 11 2005, 03:11 PM)
Eamon did one in the Live Lounge, I believe. The Scientist, I think it was.

I feel very sick wacko.gif
spacemonkey
god, what have I started with this thread, you can almost taste the venom in these posts... It's really quite fascinating Mwahahahahaha
maian
Well, when a song you love gets covered and ruined, it does produce a reaction similar to being forced to watch Glitter
spacemonkey
Yup, I know that...

Maian... fetch my shotgun
maian
Where is it?
SkipToTheEnd
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 11 2005, 03:10 PM)
I know that Lemar did 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'-Shit song by a  Shit band anyway, so it really was a bad idea from the start. Don't know if anyone has done Coldplay covers, I hope not cos I quite like them and can't wait for their new album and glasto.

do you have a ticket?
maian
Yep, took 55 minutes and it was going to be my last attempt when i finally managed to get an online order form. Should be a top weekend
spacemonkey
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 11 2005, 04:36 PM)
Where is it?

Um, I can't remember... I'm sure I put it down somewhere after the last covers band I saw...
maian
Don't worry, you can borrow mine *throws shotgun to spacemonkey*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.