Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renewed/Cancelled TV Shows
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Raven
Here's a list of what US TV shows have been renewed or cancelled for the upcoming season:

Renewed:

Alias(ABC)
Boston Legal (ABC)
Charmed (WB)
CSI (CBS)
CSI: Miami (CBS)
CSI: NY (CBS)
Desperate Housewives (ABC)
ER (NBC)
Gilmore Girls (WB)
Joey (NBC)
King of the Hill (Fox)
Las Vegas (NBC)
Law and Order (NBC)
Lost (ABC)
Malcolm in the Middle (Fox)
The O.C. (Fox)
One Tree Hill (WB)
The Simpsons (Fox)
Scrubs (NBC)
Smallville (WB)
That '70s Show (Fox)
24 (Fox)
Two and a Half Men (CBS)
Veronica Mars (UPN)
The West Wing (NBC)

Cancelled:

Everybody Loves Raymond (CBS)
JAG (CBS)
NYPD Blue (ABC)
Point Pleasant (Fox)
Star Trek: Enterprise (UPN)
Tru Calling (Fox)

Uncertain future:

Arrested Development (Fox)
Joan of Arcadia (CBS)
The Office (NBC)
Will and Grace (NBC)

Taken from the BBC Cult TV website here.
whitey
Thank christ. Everybody Loves Raymond is so shit. Will and Grace wants putting out of my misery as well.
Stella MM
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 15 2005, 01:25 PM)
Cancelled:

Everybody Loves Raymond (CBS)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Ahem.
fear_of_pop
Two and a half men renewed? Why?!
whitey
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Apr 15 2005, 01:59 PM)
Two and a half men renewed? Why?!

Because it ain't bad?
Starscream`s Ghost
All the CSI`s renewed? Again, why? One is ok, but they`ll be doing CSI: Bakersfield next.

And I honestly didn`t know they were still making King of the Hill.
fear_of_pop
Two and a half men has a good side (Jon Cryer) but that kid is the bad side all by himself.
Why are there so few kids who can act?
Douglas Nicol
CSI?

That's good, but I just can't take to the spin offs.

David Caruso in Miami just has a 'I've got a gun and want to show it' look to him. Plus, the supporting cast just look too damn young to know everything they do.

The New York spin off is just...meh. I can't really say I think much of the characters, whereas those in normal CSI were instantly likeable.
Starscream`s Ghost
Yay for Scrubs though, eh?
fear_of_pop
Yeah!
woo.
tigerlily
QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Apr 15 2005, 02:26 PM)
CSI?

That's good, but I just can't take to the spin offs.

David Caruso in Miami just has a 'I've got a gun and want to show it' look to him.  Plus, the supporting cast just look too damn young to know everything they do.

The New York spin off is just...meh.  I can't really say I think much of the characters, whereas those in normal CSI were instantly likeable.

I feel exactly the same. The characterisation in Original CSI is really, really good. But the other two, rubbish.

In Miami, Caruso sounds patronising to everyone around him. And don't get me started on his bloody sunglasses.

I've not caught much of New York, but the first episode didn't inspire me. It seemed we were immediately meant to care about the characters and their backgrounds, but I didn't. And where's all the colour gone?

I'm glad Malcolm in the Middle has been renewed. But I've heard that it'll probably be the last season. Wish they'd hurry up and get their arses in gear on the DVD front.

And I have a soft spot for Alias. Currently rewatching season 2 and it's just cracking. Pity 3 disappeared up it's own back end somewhat, but I think it's meant to re-find it's way in Season 4.
Sostie
Lost renewed - a good thing, but was hoping it would conclude after the first season. I could see it dragging on and losing its way like Twin Peaks did.

And another 24. Surely they could set it somewhere different...New York could be interesting
MissingPlanet
More CSI....mmmmm....more Jorja Fox.

Characterisationwise, the only one I have a problem with in CSI is Brass. He was a complete bastard in the pilot, but much nicer in the rest.

I'm not sure NYPD Blue was cancelled, I think the creators decided to end it. I could be wrong.
Raven
Just realised they've missed one missing from the renewed list: Battlestar Galactica.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Everybody pray for Arrested Development.

I love this show so much.

How can it be 'on the bubble' when Joey survives?
nixygirl
Thank God NYPD Blue is going...I'm glad charmed is still on even tho TEN in Australia took it's time slot for that shit Summerland!!!!!
And are yet to put it back on!!!
luvs nix
tigerlily
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 15 2005, 03:42 PM)
Just realised they've missed one missing from the renewed list: Battlestar Galactica.

Is that not because BG is on a cable channel whereas the rest are networks aren't they?
Raven
QUOTE (tigerlily @ Apr 15 2005, 03:45 PM)
Is that not because BG is on a cable channel whereas the rest are networks aren't they?

The article on the Beeb's website doesn't make that differentiation, but that could be the reason huh.gif
tigerlily
I think the US networks have been releasing information over the last week or so about which programmes are coming or going and it's just been compiled into a handy list.
Raven
Although BG may have done well by Sci-Fi channel standards it may very well not fall into the "top rated shows" catagory they are saying the list is.
Chapman Baxter
I'm sure Tigerlily's right here. All the shows listed are on network television (i.e. they are broadcast terrestrially during the hours allotted to central network programmes by affiliated local stations), while BG was on cable. Network does have all the top-rated programmes, though, so you're right as well Raven!
Raven
Ay! Everybody's right! (except those who are wrong . . . wink.gif ).
Ingram
Dead Like Me was cancelled too. Argh!
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Ingram @ Apr 15 2005, 05:22 PM)
Dead Like Me was cancelled too.  Argh!

Hoo-bloody-ray.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 15 2005, 05:53 AM)
Lost renewed - a good thing, but was hoping it would conclude after the first season.  I could see it dragging on and losing its way like Twin Peaks did.

You're not wrong, Sos. Although JJ's been devoting most of his time to Lost this season, from the sound of it...I'm not sure why, though, there are more hands stirring that pot than there are on Alias at this point. And he's also got MI:3 on the burner. Thank god all the ex-Angel writers on Alias really seem to know what they're doing now. (Jeff Bell is a pimp, yo. Wooooot!)

And another 24.  Surely they could set it somewhere different...New York could be interesting

I've been waiting for that for...gee, three years now? Somehow I have a feeling it won't happen. Although I don't see why not. Back to Alias as an example, they have been using L.A. to pose for every conceivable location the world over and it works a charm. Except for those of us who know better because we live here. wink.gif (Moscow.....but actually a park in Pasadena! Argentina....but actually the Malibu foothills!)
Hobbes
Shit I hope to God they renew Arrested Development. That show is pure genius, how could you think about cancelling it? And cancel JAG? How dare they cancel the poor man's Top Gun!!!
Kelsey
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Apr 15 2005, 08:42 AM)
Everybody pray for Arrested Development.

I love this show so much.

How can it be 'on the bubble' when Joey survives?

I agree 100%. If Arrested Development doesn't make it, I may lose all hope in FOX's programming department. Again.
thirtyhelens
Agreed. Not to mention the fact that Arrested Development is, far and away, a more accurate depiction of the rich and privileged in Orange County than The OC could ever hope to be. Yes, I'm dead serious. happy.gif
Hobbes
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Apr 15 2005, 11:31 PM)
Agreed. Not to mention the fact that Arrested Development is, far and away, a more accurate depiction of the rich and privileged in Orange County than The OC could ever hope to be.  Yes, I'm dead serious.  happy.gif

Yes but it doesn't have as many hot lesbians!
Raven
JAG's been going forever hasn't it? huh.gif
Hobbes
So has King of the Hill. They're both shit. I'm also glad Dead Like Me was cancelled - not only because it's shite, but also because it has the ugliest leading lady of all time.

Yay for continuation of West Wing though!
maian
Glad to see some shows i like have been renewed, particularly King of the Hill which I've always liked for some reason that i've never been able to figure out.

Yay, another series of West Wing, can't wait to tell my Dad, Simpsons well that's a given really isn't it.

Can't believe that Joey's still going, well, lets call it a stay of execution...
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Apr 16 2005, 02:59 AM)
Yes but it doesn't have as many hot lesbians!

It's got Portia de Rossi. She is THE hot lesbian. happy.gif
Ingram
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 16 2005, 08:19 PM)
Simpsons well that's a given really isn't it.

I don't think they will let "The Simpsons" die until they have bled it for every penny and it has become unpopular. Unlike Futurama it will not go out on a high-note or in it's prime - let's face it, it stopped being really funny a while ago.

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 16 2005, 08:19 PM)
Can't believe that Joey's still going, well, lets call it a stay of execution...

I genuinely think that "Joey" is fairly reasonable in terms of being a spin-off to a series that was so huge. The first few episodes weren't great but it has been getting better.
maian
I still find the Simpsons to be funny and it's gotten less patchy ove rthe past few seasons, but it definitely has seen its best days already. I think that Fox won't decide the fate of the Simpsons, if it ever became really crap then I reckon Matt Groening would pull the plug.

Admittedly Joey's not as bad as some spin-offs but compared to Frasier, the high point of spin-offdom, it's hardly great. I think it's because there's too few extra characters, 3 or 4 main characters just isn't enough.
Ingram
Considering Frasier was so huge and Cheers was so small, I suppose I have never regarded it as a proper spinoff. The best spinoff in my mind is, of course, Angel - that is because I'm a Buffyverse geek though - and even that faded when it's main-series ended.
maian
I always thought that Cheers was a massive show, at least in the US it was and the last episode was viewed by a hell of a lot of people, or something and then frasier managed to equal it's success.

Angel was a great series, the end of the last episode really did warm my heart, i love a heroic ending
Raven
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 16 2005, 09:19 PM)
I always thought that Cheers was a massive show, at least in the US it was and the last episode was viewed by a hell of a lot of people, or something and then frasier managed to equal it's success.

Cheers was massive, some people are just too young to know otherwise . . . wink.gif
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 16 2005, 11:48 PM)
Cheers was massive, some people are just too young to know otherwise . . . wink.gif

Tsk I meant in comparison. Also it can't have been as big over here, and I'm not exactly a wealth of knowledge on American opinion. I only meant that Frasier rivalled Friends in terms of popularity - and by the end the main actors were getting paid similar money, $1 mil. an episode. There was nothing like that with Cheers.

After watching Point Pleasant yesterday I'm still interested to see where they go with it, although it must get worse if they've cancelled it.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Apr 17 2005, 08:47 AM)
Tsk I meant in comparison.  Also it can't have been as big over here, and I'm not exactly a wealth of knowledge on American opinion.  I only meant that Frasier rivalled Friends in terms of popularity - and by the end the main actors were getting paid similar money, $1 mil. an episode.  There was nothing like that with Cheers.

So did I.

Cheers was just as popular a show in the late eighties/early ninties as Frasier was a few years back, it's just that times have changed and the salaries actors and actresses can command now to keep a cash cow like Fraiser or Friends going are a lot higher - that's the only real difference . . .
rabbit57i
Interesting article on the state of the sitcom. Talks about the recent cancelled and not-so cancelled shows.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Good to see praise of Nighty Night, but worrying further mention of Arrested Development's possible cancellation.
Raven
West Wing axed.

I'm sorry to see this go but I can see why it has happened as the quality of the series dropped sharply after Sorkin left.

And despite the quote saying the decision was made before John Spencer died I'm not sure it would be the same without him.
Zoe
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 17 2005, 11:53 AM)
So did I.

Cheers was just as popular a show in the late eighties/early ninties as Frasier was a few years back, it's just that times have changed and the salaries actors and actresses can command now to keep a cash cow like Fraiser or Friends going are a lot higher - that's the only real difference . . .

Gotta agree with Raven here . As a show it's easily as big as Frasier; critically, in terms of popularity and cultural significance. 'Cheers' was massive when I was a kid, perhaps bigger than 'Frasier' because I doubt many junior school age kids liked 'Frasier', but we all watched 'Cheers' - with our parents.
dandan
'cheers' was huge!!!

nbc's longest running comedy series
top ten audience ratings for all eleven seasons
the last episode still holds the second highest rating ever for an episodic program (65% audience share)
danson was getting $425,000 per episode back in 1991-2
it received 27 emmy awards and a record 111 nominations

i'd say that was pretty huge...
Ingram
Arguing with something I said in April of last year... fair enough. You're probably right, but I prefered Frasier. laugh.gif
gulfcoast_highwayman
It was certainly the smarter of the two, but I cried at the last episode of Cheers, Frasier had lost me by it's conclusion.

Maybe it's becuase I grew up watching Cheers. From seeing the very first episode on Channel 4's opening night, I stuck with it religously, even when it did a bit of a shark jump in the later years.
dandan
QUOTE (Ingram)
Arguing with something I said in April of last year... fair enough.  You're probably right, but I prefered Frasier.  laugh.gif

ha! blame zoe, she started it.

april eh? i wondered why this thread didn't look very familiar...
Ingram
I believe my original point was made on the premise that, by the end, the actors in Frasier were getting millions per episode as they were competing with Friends across channels - and for a spin-off to go against one of the mainstreams most popular original sitcoms spoke volumes about the quality of the show. Or at least I think that was what I was going on, following the Simpsons/Futurama debate.
maian
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 23 2006, 01:44 PM)
West Wing axed.

I'm sorry to see this go but I can see why it has happened as the quality of the series dropped sharply after Sorkin left.

And despite the quote saying the decision was made before John Spencer died I'm not sure it would be the same without him.

Sad to see it end, but 7 years is about the length I thought it would go, what with having statrted at the end of Bratlet's first year. The quality did dip after season 4, but season 6 has managed to improve in quality a bit after the slump of season 5.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.