Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tintin, Tintin, Tintin
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2
Poppa Burgundy
Tintin, where to start? The wholesome intrepid young reproter with an eye for a story. He's solved more crimes then I've had hot dinners and is one of my all time favourite characters.

Are there any other Tintin fans out there just waiting to celebrate the ginger hero?

If so let your views be known
flakmonkey
Ah Tintin! Gotta love him! And Captain Haddock. They (along with Snowey of course) are the best super-sleuthe, crime-solving team ever! biggrin.gif
feck off!
Oh yes, i used to love the episode with the mummies and cigars, generaly because it used to scare the shit out of me when i was a kid.

I always used to think the evil guy looked a tad like himmler, very scary huh.gif

biggrin.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
He was also a member of the Hitler Youth, too.
Poppa Burgundy
are you saying Tintin was a member of the Hitler youth?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Poppa Burgundy @ Apr 19 2005, 02:54 PM)
are you saying Tintin was a member of the Hitler youth?

That`s what I`m saying. At least, that`s the rumour. When the Nazis occupied Belgium, Herge is basically said to have collaborated his arse off, and written Tintin as an Aryan hero.
Poppa Burgundy
I heard about that but Herge is was forced into it, to be fair if I worked somewhere that was occupied by Nazi's and they were forcing me to change the content I wouldn't argue.
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 19 2005, 02:55 PM)
That`s what I`m saying. At least, that`s the rumour. When the Nazis occupied Belgium, Herge is basically said to have collaborated his arse off, and written Tintin as an Aryan hero.

There's an element of truth to this, but the story's a little more complicated.
feck off!
Yea, i heared he was forced to as well. Also , i think it would break my heart to learn that my childhood rolemodel was written for a bunch of fascists. sad.gif
Poppa Burgundy
ahh that certainly clears things up, and in no way alters my feelings on Tintin. I've always loved the books and still do biggrin.gif
flakmonkey
That was really very interesting. Thanks Chapman! biggrin.gif
tigerlily
My lovely boy bought me the Tintin dvd box set for Christmas. Takes me back to when I was a nipper and used to borrow the books out the library. And I always used to get out the Asterix books as well as they were in the same section.

I've started to collect all the Asterix books now, which reminds me that I should get me down to Fopp and get me some more.
fear_of_pop
I do have a fabulous tintin t shirt. Much like the one Rufus is wearing...

[/shoehorning rufus into topics]
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (tigerlily @ Apr 19 2005, 03:12 PM)
My lovely boy bought me the Tintin dvd box set for Christmas.  Takes me back to when I was a nipper and used to borrow the books out the library.  And I always used to get out the Asterix books as well as they were in the same section.

I've started to collect all the Asterix books now, which reminds me that I should get me down to Fopp and get me some more.

Now Asterix, I like. I still have all the books, and they`re something I never tire of reading, they`re still really funny.
feck off!
I had too read asterix in it's origional German form, now that was a pain. smile.gif
flakmonkey
Asterix is great! I used to (and still sometimes do) get Tintin and Asterix out from the library at the same time, too, Tigerlily. Man, great days, great days. laugh.gif
Poppa Burgundy
I used to watch the Asterix films when I was younger, i really like the one were they have to prove theyre gods by doing twelve tasks. One of the tasks was to just get this form from a council building, pretty funny stuff
flakmonkey
Aye, they don't make em like they used to.
fear_of_pop
I preferred the Tintin books to Asterix. The Thompson twins, professor Calculus and Captain Haddock can't be beat.
Both the cartoon series' annoy me though. Asterix is too squeaky, and Tintin turns out to be really boring in animated form.
Sostie
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 19 2005, 01:52 PM)
He was also a member of the Hitler Youth, too.

...as well as being a huge gay icon - the lad seem to please all camps!

Used to read Tin Tin and (moreso) Asterix in the library when I was a kid. Also, I think it was called, Lucky Luke...a cowboy story by the Asterix team
widowspider
I was always a Tintin fan as a kid, and my ex has collected all of the stories. I used to love curling up with a cup of tea and a Tintin adventure.
Svein
QUOTE (feck off! @ Apr 19 2005, 03:16 PM)
I had too read asterix in it's origional German form, now that was a pain. smile.gif

I far preferred Asterix to Tintin... I've still to sample a Wild Boar feast!
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (flakmonkey @ Apr 19 2005, 03:16 PM)
Asterix is great! I used to (and still sometimes do) get Tintin and Asterix out from the library at the same time, too, Tigerlily. Man, great days, great days. laugh.gif

I also used to get Asterix and Tintin books out of the library at the same time. I credit them ewith helping me to have an andvanced reading age at school.

I have as an adult slavishly collected them all. They are brilliant comics.
fear_of_pop
I read Tintin in Tibet recently, and the bit where they leave the yeti all alone and sad at the end nearly made me cry. sad.gif
Poppa Burgundy
I heard that the translations of Asterix lose alot of the word play that makes them so funny
kid_koala
when i went to the comics museum in brussels, they had loads of tintin memorabilia, and all these lifesize remakes of things, like the moonlanding suits. the staircase even had a broken step, at just the right place!!

man, tintin's cool
Raven
QUOTE (feck off! @ Apr 19 2005, 03:16 PM)

Asterix is French!

(isn't it?!) huh.gif
pots
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 20 2005, 12:34 PM)
Asterix is French!

(isn't it?!)  huh.gif

yup - asterix the gaul.
Bunny Biscuits
I used to get together with a group of friends at school during our luch break and we would voice all the characters (based on the animated series voices) while reading from the books. We would even read speach bubbles with nothing but "!" as "exclamation mark".

I like Tintin better than Asterix because there are less repeated gags, The Cacafonix gag at the end of every book really used to get on my nerves.
Poppa Burgundy
Does anyone actually know the paper Tintin wrote for, or was he freelance?

And how exactly do you become world reporter number 1?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Poppa Burgundy @ Apr 22 2005, 02:17 PM)

Kill the rest of them.
whitey
I started writing a Tintin parody once called The Installments of Willoughby Stutter in which an asexual 45 year old midget man-child solved mysteries with his 13 stone cat Piggy Malone. Couldn't quite get the story together though.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (whitey @ Apr 22 2005, 10:31 AM)
13 stone cat Piggy Malone. 

biggrin.gif Sorry, fat cats make me smile, especially mystery-solving fat cats named Piggy. biggrin.gif
whitey
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Apr 22 2005, 05:04 PM)
biggrin.gif  Sorry, fat cats make me smile, especially mystery-solving fat cats named Piggy.  biggrin.gif

The name was a little Ronnie Barker tribute and the cat came from a Daily Sport headline: 13 Stone Cat Eats Burglar
flakmonkey
QUOTE (whitey @ Apr 22 2005, 04:08 PM)
13 Stone Cat Eats Burglar

laugh.gif
It's a strange, strange world.
rabbit57i
I was just googling looking for pix of fat cats and it's funny that in almost all the pictures the cats are are their backs. It also made me depressed that someone could do that to an animal. sad.gif
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (whitey @ Apr 22 2005, 05:08 PM)
13 Stoned Cats Eat Burglar

Now, if this was the headline, I'd believe it.
flakmonkey
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Apr 22 2005, 04:42 PM)
Now, if this was the headline, I'd believe it.

laugh.gif
Bunny Biscuits
QUOTE (Poppa Burgundy @ Apr 22 2005, 11:17 PM)

Tintin was a reporter for 'Le Petit Vingtieme', telling his "news stories" via the comics of Herge.
ronlogan1977
Alea jacta est
Ohio_is_for_lovers
I never liked tin tin
ronlogan1977
Et tu Brute
Zoe
That kid who was quite good in 'Love Actually' cast as Tintin.

Jackson, Spielberg, Captain Haddock; anyone else starting to get excited?
Svein
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 28 2008, 12:55 PM)
That kid who was quite good in 'Love Actually' cast as Tintin.

Jackson, Spielberg, Captain Haddock; anyone else starting to get excited?

Oh hell yeah... I, at one point, had every Tintin there was...

I'm wondering who'll be cast as Professor Calculus and Mr. Papadopoulos.

Oh... and the Thompson Twins...
Withnail
Thundering typhoons! Serkis is too weedy for Captain Haddock.
Svein
QUOTE (Withnail @ Mar 28 2008, 01:01 PM)
Thundering typhoons! Serkis is too weedy for Captain Haddock.

Nah... look at him in King Kong... he could pull it off!
Zoe
My Dad should play Captain Haddock.

Failing that, Bobby De Niro (with a beard) because he looks like my Dad and was an adorable Captain in 'Stardust'.

I am a little disappointed that the man-child playing Tintin is not a ginge, though he was rather good in 'Doctor Who'.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Svein @ Mar 28 2008, 11:59 AM)
Oh hell yeah...  I, at one point, had every Tintin there was...

I'm wondering who'll be cast as Professor Calculus and Mr. Papadopoulos.

Oh...  and the Thompson Twins...

Rowan Atkinson is a shoo-in for Calculas.

Mr Papadopoulos could be played by Omid Djalili. I know it blurs country and racial bounds, but he would be good.

The Thompson Twins should both be played by a CGI'd David Mitchell.
Raven
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 28 2008, 12:04 PM)
I am a little disappointed that the man-child playing Tintin is not a ginge, though he was rather good in 'Doctor Who'.

I thought he looked familiar . . .
Starscream`s Ghost
The Thompson Twins should play the Thompson Twins, surely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.