Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World of Warcraft
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Raven
Sorry about the sub-title . . . tongue.gif

Right, I know next to nothing about this, but after reading about it on the PvP site and an article in this months SFX I thought it might be worth investigating another way in which I can express my inner-geek.

So, does anyone here play the game? And if so how does it work? (as in do you have to pay monthly subscriptions or anything?).

Any general information would be appreciated, it doesn't have to be in-depth!
super_horse
if its anything like everquest II (which i've heard it is) you will have to pay about 10 per month and u create a character and pick a profession then sort of rome around doing missions for elves and the like.
Marty
Ask Blighty, he's the knowledge.
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ May 26 2005, 01:46 PM)
Right, I know next to nothing about this, but after reading about it on the PvP site

That was hilarious biggrin.gif Umm I used to play a bit at a mates house but I'm a bit more of a first person shooter myself.
Ell
I would have to confess to being a pretty big World of Warcraft geek, i clocked about 170 hours in the first 2 weeks. Yes you do have to pay 8.99 a month, but for that you get new quests, levels, weapons, bug updates and 24 tech support. It's really fun and a very community driven game, you can choose from three server types (i'm usually found on PvP and Roleplaying), 8 races and 9 different classes. Give me a pm or ask in the thread if you have any other questions dude or maybe checkout WoW.com. biggrin.gif
Simsydav
I really want it.

I have some freinds that play it, and it sounds so great!
But, my computer is really bad, the newest game I can play is Commando's. I mean the original Commando's. So I dont think Ill be getting it anytime soon.

Any tips on how to update/what things to buy for my computer?
Ell
My current specs are these:

Graphics: Hercules Radeon 9800 pro
RAM: 2x Crucial 256mb, Crucial 512mb DDR RAM PC2700
Heat Sink: Vantec Aeroflow Socket A
PSU: Antec 450watt
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2500 Barton

I run it at about 40fps normally and about 19fps in big crowds. I'm hopefully gonna get an update soon but you also have to remember that with an online game like this it also a lot to do with how the server they are running copes.

If you post up your system specs i can give you a hand picking out some good but hopefully cheap hardware.
Raven
QUOTE (Ell @ May 26 2005, 09:39 PM)
I would have to confess to being a pretty big World of Warcraft geek, i clocked about 170 hours in the first 2 weeks. Yes you do have to pay 8.99 a month, but for that you get new quests, levels, weapons, bug updates and 24 tech support. It's really fun and a very community driven game, you can choose from three server types (i'm usually found on PvP and Roleplaying), 8 races and 9 different classes. Give me a pm or ask in the thread if you have any other questions dude or maybe checkout WoW.combiggrin.gif

Cheers for that!

I had seen the WoW site and explored a bit but haven't really got very far.

I'm tempted to give it a go but I'm concerned about the time it will eat - which I never seem to have enough of as it is!
Ell
If your going to be playing on your own then you'll find it won't take too much of your time, it's having a lot of friends playing also which makes you want to play a lot. Also roleplay takes up a lot of time, i usually can be found in a tavern till 3 in the morning drinking ale and chatting with people.
Raven
Bought a copy on the way home this evening, will have a read through the getting started and have a crack at it tomorrow! smile.gif
Ell
If you happen to choose upon horde as your side i'm on the stormrever server under the names Elliott and Flameboy, give us a whisper if you need any help. biggrin.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Ell @ May 27 2005, 07:46 PM)
If you happen to choose upon horde as your side i'm on the stormrever server  under the names Elliott and Flameboy, give us a whisper if you need any help. biggrin.gif

Looking through the manual I was toying with the idea of going for the Alliance and playing as a Night Elf or Human Rogue (with Alcamey as my day job!).

Not sure yet . . .
Ell
If your going for PvP combat i would strongly advise against rogue's. There very good in the short run for soloing on quests but when you hit level 60 and start going on raids / instances all the time you'll find they die very easily and aren't the best for PvP combat. Also the rogue is probably by far the most used class so if you wanted to make sure you're a bit more sort after for groups i'd suggest something like a priest, mage or druid.
Raven
Argh! Where has my weekend gone?! I knew this would happen!

Ell - I'm on the Argmare? (sp) server at present, wanted to get used to the game play etc before I started to hook up with people.

Seem to be doing okay as a Human Rogue - hit level ten this afternoon - but I seem to be seeing a lot of grave yards . . . wink.gif

Took the Deeprun Tram to Ironforge City and suitably blown away by the graphics of the city itself.

Just clearing a quarry of Bonesnappers at the moment . . . as you do . . . tongue.gif
Raven
So has anyone else taken up the gauntlet - so to speak?!
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 19 2005, 01:42 PM)
So has anyone else taken up the gauntlet - so to speak?!

I would, but my computer's fucked up so not at the moment sad.gif
Miggins
Mr M played it for about a month, but eventually went back to SWG (LucasArts has stolen my boyfriend... AGAIN).

I liked it because he didn't play it for 16 hours solid, but that's just me.
Raven
I looked at Star Wars Galaxies when I was looking at World of Warcraft and it looked limited to me in terms of what you could do (isn't there only five or six planets you can visit or something?).

I also looked at City of Heroes but that looked like it would get old real fast.

May give Star Trek Online a try when it is released - from what I've read it looks pretty good.

But for now it's back to WoW! smile.gif (Which I would recommend to anyone btw!).
Miggins
It flummoxed me because the Mr spent hours telling me how lovely WoW was and how big it was and how much nicer it was than SWG. As I said, it didn't suck him in, he didn't feel it necessary to "grind" for hours upon end, and his character was a real sweetie, looks-wise. The graphics also looked a whole lot better than SWG, imo and it seemed to run much more smoothly. And he didn't get stressed playing WoW, unlike SWG.

But he's a Jedi on SWG and he knows more people, so in the end he went back. *shrugs* Who knows why. I even bought him Battlefield 2 in the vain hope of tearing him away, but that didn't work either. I'm destined to be an SWG widow for the rest of my life. ohmy.gif
Raven
I've heard WoW is the most polished game but not having played any others I'm not really in a position to comment other than to say I think it's bloody excellent! smile.gif
Raven
*bump*

Is there anyone out there playing WoW?
Ell
Just started playing WoW again after a 2 month break, addicted again sad.gif
Nonus Aequilibrium
I play it, on the Bronzebeard server. I've been playing it reasonably regularly since December, but I haven't played any monster sessions other than when we were playing it at work and grouping some dungeons. It's good enough to keep me playing, but it has many design flaws, and it generally feels like a very bland shallow world when compared to something like Morrowind or Oblivion. Yes, the game is enormous, but it's also very unimaginative with how it populates the world. For instance, you'll get a quest which is "go kill 10 bad guys". Go to the other side of the world and you'll find a quest which is "go kill 10 different bad guys". It's almost too well balanced. Every fight you get into is virtually identical, you always know, looking at an enemy's level, if it's roughly the same level as you, you WILL win the fight, it's an absolute certainty unless you're actively trying not to. If a second enemy at the same level joins in, you'll almost certainly lose. Take on something way higher level than you, you'll just die. Take on something much lower level, you'll definitely win but you'll get no reward whatsoever from it. As you level up, you just have to find an area of world that has enemies that are the same level as you are, so effectively, your game experience never changes. You do more damage, the enemy takes more damage. In their quest to make the game as fair as possible for everyone, they seem to have robbed the game of any variety and surprise. Put it this way, there's never been a single moment playing the game where I've ever thought "that's amazing".
Simsydav
I decided against getting it, aside from my computer, which I have now got to play soldat WOOO. Its so much better online than..not online. Had it on my dads computer for ages but didnt realise that to play on the internet all I had to do was click 'request server', but then Im an idiot hehe.

And the other reason why I decided against it, was that it has consumed my freinds life, he rarely comes out any more. But then, maybe its gange, like in that radio advert 'spending more time with gange than your mates?' was the main sentence in it. I have no idea why I told you that, but if you are, ring FRANK THE BIG BUNNY!
Raven
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 31 2006, 04:04 PM)
I play it, on the Bronzebeard server. I've been playing it reasonably regularly since December, but I haven't played any monster sessions other than when we were playing it at work and grouping some dungeons. It's good enough to keep me playing, but it has many design flaws, and it generally feels like a very bland shallow world when compared to something like Morrowind or Oblivion. Yes, the game is enormous, but it's also very unimaginative with how it populates the world. For instance, you'll get a quest which is "go kill 10 bad guys". Go to the other side of the world and you'll find a quest which is "go kill 10 different bad guys". It's almost too well balanced. Every fight you get into is virtually identical, you always know, looking at an enemy's level, if it's roughly the same level as you, you WILL win the fight, it's an absolute certainty unless you're actively trying not to. If a second enemy at the same level joins in, you'll almost certainly lose. Take on something way higher level than you, you'll just die. Take on something much lower level, you'll definitely win but you'll get no reward whatsoever from it. As you level up, you just have to find an area of world that has enemies that are the same level as you are, so effectively, your game experience never changes. You do more damage, the enemy takes more damage. In their quest to make the game as fair as possible for everyone, they seem to have robbed the game of any variety and surprise. Put it this way, there's never been a single moment playing the game where I've ever thought "that's amazing".

I know what you are saying, I've started several secondary characters to try out the different classes and I'm finding that I'm not being killed anywhere near as often as I was on my first run through the game because I know what the characters/creatures are capable of.

Having said that however I have found that as you advance in the game, and you gain more and varied skills, it does have more variety than it does at the start, although it quite regularly still boils down to: Go there, kill 10 "x"!

What level are you?

I've got several characters on the Agramarr server (a level 47 rogue called Ansala being the main one).
fatseff1234
To me it just seems like one of those pointless games like The Sims or Nintendogs
ella
Since giving up on Travian (Roman/Gaul/Teuton MMPOG) a while ago I have been seriously considering taking up WoW. Was talking to my other half about it yesterday and we both realised that it would eat our lives.

After playing Trav (you've been there Paul - you know what it is like wink.gif) and staying up until 3.00am arguing with 13 year old boys from Romania - I just don't think I can give it the dedication it needs!
Raven
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Apr 1 2006, 11:54 AM)
To me it just seems like one of those pointless games like The Sims or Nintendogs

Having played Sims I can say that this is far more engaging and rewarding.

True, like Sims, at the end of the day there is no set objective but there is a helluva lot to do in the game and Blizzard are continually adding new content to keep it fresh (the recent war effort was cool, as are small things like the addition of rain in the last patch).

QUOTE (ella @ Apr 1 2006, 12:06 PM)
Since giving up on Travian (Roman/Gaul/Teuton MMPOG) a while ago I have been seriously considering taking up WoW. Was talking to my other half about it yesterday and we both realised that it would eat our lives.

After playing Trav (you've been there Paul - you know what it is like wink.gif) and staying up until 3.00am arguing with 13 year old boys from Romania - I just don't think I can give it the dedication it needs!

The good thing about WoW is that unlike Travian you don't get all of the 13 year old hassles (past the odd challenge to a duel etc which you can reject) and you can play the game at your own speed - if you leave it for a couple of weeks you aren't going to be disadvantaged.

Having played them both I can say that WoW is a lot more satisfying to play than Travian as it's not just plugging away at the same old thing all the time and you don't have the danger that some snot nosed kid is going to come along and flatten everything you've taken several months building up.

Having said all that however, it is very likely that you will end up playing quite a bit - at least initially - so it may well be a drain on your time! tongue.gif
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 1 2006, 10:53 AM)
I know what you are saying, I've started several secondary characters to try out the different classes and I'm finding that I'm not being killed anywhere near as often as I was on my first run through the game because I know what the characters/creatures are capable of.

Having said that however I have found that as you advance in the game, and you gain more and varied skills, it does have more variety than it does at the start, although it quite regularly still boils down to: Go there, kill 10 "x"!

What level are you?

I've got several characters on the Agramarr server (a level 47 rogue called Ansala being the main one).

I've got a level 35 Orc warlock, and a level 16 dwarf warrior. With the release of Oblivion, I just can't help feel the vast difference in game experience. With Oblivion (or Morrowind), I feel immersed in a world, and I can play for hours, and most of the time I don't even pay much attention to my level. In WoW, I don't see a world, I see lots of rules and probabilities, and some thoroughly unimaginative quests, which make no impact on the game world whatsoever. If you're given a quest to go kill a specific person, you do the quest, and five minutes later he's alive again. Obviously this is one of the shortfalls of a world being massively multiplayer, in that you have to leave quests open for other players too, but it feels so empty to be performing tasks which have zero lasting effect.

There's one type of quest that crops up a lot for which I'd like to give the game designers a punch in the face for. That is the type of quest where you have to kill monsters and collect the things they drop. Since drops are random, based on some probability, if you have to collect say 15 items, chances are 1 in 5 of the monsters you're killing will drop one, meaning you need to kill 75 monsters. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs a kicking. It's boring, and worse, you never know when it's going to be finished. It's clearly a design to rack up play hours. The difference between Oblivion and WoW in terms of how long you play, is that Oblivion just keeps giving you new things to do, WoW just keeps giving you tasks which take ages to do for very little reward, and are mind numbingly tedious.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 1 2006, 01:02 PM)
Having played Sims I can say that this is far more engaging and rewarding. 

True, like Sims, at the end of the day there is no set objective but there is a helluva lot to do in the game and Blizzard are continually adding new content to keep it fresh (the recent war effort was cool, as are small things like the addition of rain in the last patch).

Well it dosen't sound as bad now actually, the war idea has me kind of intrigued.
m0r1arty
Anyone play Guildwars?

It's pretty good and has no subsciption fee, just buy the game (and the one expansion if you fancy it, or just buy the expansion and miss out on the other world of the game) and go.

I'm happy to help people level up for a bit, might even start a new character myself.

-m0r
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Apr 4 2006, 08:16 AM)
Anyone play Guildwars?

It's pretty good and has no subsciption fee, just buy the game (and the one expansion if you fancy it, or just buy the expansion and miss out on the other world of the game) and go.

I'm happy to help people level up for a bit, might even start a new character myself.

-m0r

I considered it, but someone at work tried it and said it was basically just a poor version of WoW. Apparently does decent PvP but the PvE is rubbish. So I've heard anyway.
Raven
*bump*

So who's playing this now?

My main characters are all Alliance on Agramarr (a level 60 Human Rogue and a level 43 Gnome Mage), but I've also got a couple on Dreanor and Aerie(sp?) Peak as well.
Jessopjessopjessop
Son, I don't understand a word you just said.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Dec 1 2006, 10:09 AM)
Son, I don't understand a word you just said.

I'd like to add:

Speak English, boy!
Raven
The Heathen aren't meant to understand . . . wink.gif
m0r1arty
Still Guild Warring it, but not as often.

The South Park episode of WoW was good though.

-m0r
NiteFall
I'm on Dragonmaw, main is a 60 Tauren druid (full balance spec, so that means Moonkin form), just got the last pieces of my T1 armour from MC, which is good, as we should be trying AQ40 this week, which'll allow me to get enough CC rep for my Mace of Unending Life, although with any luck I'll be trading that in for a Blessed Qiraji Acolyte Staff.

Of course, next week is the big TBC intro patch, so goodbye honour rankings, hello quarterly Arena rankings with an epic Netherdrake mount reward if your team finishes on top. Also hello shiny new talents.

I fully expect 98% of the above statement to make absolutely no sense whatsoever to all but about 4 people here.
Nonus Aequilibrium
I've not played for a while now, since it keeps completely screwing up on my work PC. Every few seconds the game freezes for a few seconds, then carries on as normal. It did this before and I fixed it by reinstalling the game from scratch, but as anyone who has tried to do that recently will know, it takes AGES. I'm not going through that whole process every time the game decides to start acting shit.
Raven
For anyone who is interested playing, you can find out more about the game here, and also sign up for a free 10day trial.

The full game itself is now only 9.99 on Play.com.
NiteFall
Holy fuck but AQ 40 is hard. You just don't expect an epiced up 40 man raid to wipe on trash mobs...
Nonus Aequilibrium
I'm getting seriously annoyed with the amount of patching in World of Warcraft now. I decided to sign up again for another month yesterday, today I log in and it's telling me I need to install another goddamn 700MB patch. I'm staying at my parents house over december and that's a big chunk of their download limit for a month gone in one whack. If they've got extra content to put into the game, they should put it in new areas that you can't get to unless you have the patch, and make it optional. I've not much choice but to download it, otherwise I've just wasted a month's subscription.
NiteFall
Yeah, that was the big Burning Crusade intro patch that was released today. To be fair it is a hell of a lot of new stuff, but yeah, they could have organised it a lot better, especially as they originally said that all the realms would be back up and running by 12:00. Then 3:00. Then 5:00. Then 6:00...
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Dec 6 2006, 07:50 PM)
Yeah, that was the big Burning Crusade intro patch that was released today. To be fair it is a hell of a lot of new stuff, but yeah, they could have organised it a lot better, especially as they originally said that all the realms would be back up and running by 12:00. Then 3:00. Then 5:00. Then 6:00...

I don't want any new stuff though. I haven't seen all the old stuff yet. There should be the option to not take the new content if you don't want it. I wish they'd stop forcing content down our throats all the time.
Raven
To be fair to Blizzard this is the only patch they have released in the last month or so AND this is by far the largest patch I've seen in the eighteen months I've been playing the game because - as NiteFall has already said - it is a major patch to pave the way for the Burning Crusade expansion.

It is huge, but at the same time it includes a helluva lot of new content and some fundamental changes to the way the game is played (for instance, all the talent trees have been re-worked so you will get all your talent points refunded again so there are some swings and roundabouts . . .).

None of the WoW patches to date- have been optional because of the nature of the game. The next update however will be optional, you can either buy The Burning Crusade expansion, or not! (though I think it will be your loss if you don't! wink.gif).

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Dec 6 2006, 07:50 PM)

Boy, you've got it bad!! tongue.gif

Personally I try to avoid playing on Wednesdays as there are quite often issues resulting from upgrades or maintenance work that need to be resolved. Having said that however, this is the first time my server has still been down when I have got in from work . . .

Anyway, I've downloaded about a quarter of the patch so far and plan to do the rest over-night; I can live without playing for a few days.
Nonus Aequilibrium
I still think it's a serious issue that needs to be considered. Has anyone tried installing WoW from clean install since this new patch? That's roughly 1.2GB of patching to be done. And it's only going to get worse as time goes on. If they want people to keep paying 9 quid a month to play this game they should be doing everything they can to make things as easy as possible. If they want to release a shitload of content that's going to clog up everyone's bandwidth, they should offer free mail out CDs with the patch on to any subscriber who wants one. I know they don't do stuff this big very often, but if I'd known yesterday when I reactivated my account that I was going to be looking at a 700MB patch today, I wouldn't have bothered. What they need to do is separate code change patches from their game assets. They could have made the code changes mandatory, since they are needed with fundamental gameplay changes being made, but have most of the new content assets optional, or at least, let you continue playing with only a subset of them and stagger the download of the rest over a few months.
Raven
I suspect that the Burning Crusade expansion will have all of the 1.X patches supplied with it, but with over 7.5 million players world wide now*, distributing on-going game patches via disk would be hugely impractical.

If you want a game that isn't being continually updated, where you aren't being given exciting new content, I'd suggest you buy a copy of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion!

*4 million of which are Korean gold farmers.
NiteFall
Well, when bought WoW, I got a newer version than my brother, which came on 5 rather than 4 CDs and had all of the patches that had been released up to that point integrated into it. I suspect that this will be happening with the latest patch as well. Yes I know, you don't want to have to shell out for a new copy of the game, blah, blah, blah. Just saying.
Raven
I forgot to say, I left the patch downloading overnight - which it did - but when I checked my PC this morning it had failed to install (with a message saying that I may need to uninstall and re-install the whole program ph34r.gif).

I will try resetting my PC when I get home!
NiteFall
The worst I've heard is one of my guildies who somehow downloaded the 4.1 gig server patch rather than the 700 meg user patch. Needless to say, he was less than happy when we pointed out to him his idiocy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.