Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dead and Breakfast
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Shaun of the Dead
Pages: 1, 2
nixygirl
Is this just wrong????
Dead and Breakfast Movie

Granted I'm on dial up at the moment and can't watch the trailer but it seems to be just a cheap rip off of our favorite movie!
No Offence to any of our American webby's but,
it seems to me that any kind of British humour the Americans touch gets all sullied up.
Mr Bean anyone???

luvs nix
spacegurl
Just watched the trailer-looks like a pile of wank "What are they doing?" " Well they're...dancing!"
Even the director looks like Edgar!
Oxypoxadrin
Don't have sound on my comp, and it still looks shit! (Did I spot the mighty David Carradine early on in that trailer or have my eyes gone funny?)

Nope...wasn't my eyes, he truly was there:

IMDb entry for "Dead and Breakfast"
butterfly_with_a_bomb?
ABSOLUTE DICKHEADS,AS ALWAYS HERE COMES AMERICA, SWOOPING UP GREAT GREAT BRITISH COMEDIES, AND REMOVING ANY SENSE OF IRONY OR WIT OR ANYTHING THAT A SIX YEAR OLD WOULD'NT UNDERSTAND, PUTTING IN CGI THAT WOULDN'T FOOL A TAMBOURINE SHAKING BAPTIST! IF THIS IS AMERICA'S AWNSER TO SHAUN OF THE DEAD THEN IT'S THE WORST FUCKING AWNSER I'VE EVER HEARD, STOP MAKING AWNSERS TOOUR FILMS AMERICA, YOU ALWAYS FUCK THEM UP AND GIVE OUR FILMS A BAD REPUTATION! THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS AND I'M BLOODY SICK OF IT! THEY EVEN TRIED TO STEAL THE OFFICE, AND SUPRISE SUPRISE IT WAS SHIT, WHY, BECAUSE IT WAS WRITTEN BY A COMPLETE FUCKING TOSSER WHO THOUGHT TOILET JOKES WERE CLEVER! AMERICA, STOP THIS SHIT!

and breathe ohmy.gif
PrincessKate
Do mine eyes deceieve me? A record-throwing sequence? My, how original...
tigerlily
ABSOLUTE DICKHEADS,AS ALWAYS HERE COMES AMERICA, SWOOPING UP GREAT GREAT BRITISH COMEDIES, AND REMOVING ANY SENSE OF IRONY OR WIT OR ANYTHING THAT A SIX YEAR OLD WOULD'NT UNDERSTAND, PUTTING IN CGI THAT WOULDN'T FOOL A TAMBOURINE SHAKING BAPTIST! IF THIS IS AMERICA'S AWNSER TO SHAUN OF THE DEAD THEN IT'S THE WORST FUCKING AWNSER I'VE EVER HEARD, STOP MAKING AWNSERS TOOUR FILMS AMERICA, YOU ALWAYS FUCK THEM UP AND GIVE OUR FILMS A BAD REPUTATION! THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS AND I'M BLOODY SICK OF IT! THEY EVEN TRIED TO STEAL THE OFFICE, AND SUPRISE SUPRISE IT WAS SHIT, WHY, BECAUSE IT WAS WRITTEN BY A COMPLETE FUCKING TOSSER WHO THOUGHT TOILET JOKES WERE CLEVER! AMERICA, STOP THIS SHIT!

Your Caps key seems to have got stuck. I'd get that seen to if I were you . . .
PrincessKate
On the plus side-Jeremy Sisto...
spacegurl
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ May 30 2005, 03:56 PM)
On the plus side-Jeremy Sisto...

Probably the only reason to watch.
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ May 30 2005, 03:53 PM)
A record-throwing sequence? My, how original...

That's a cymbal, I think.

From what I can see, it seems to owe a bit more to early Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson than SotD (well, except for the dancing bit perhaps, though Evil Dead 2 did have a dancing deadite in it). The 'US answer to Shaun of the Dead' line may just be a marketing ploy.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ May 30 2005, 04:43 PM)
That's a cymbal, I think.

Ah-okay then. In my defence it's a very dark trailer...

smile.gif
butterfly_with_a_bomb?
I think it should be darker, so you don't see it, quieter too!
nixygirl
I don't like them attaching SotD to shit as a marketing ploy!

I think they can get fucked!
luvs nix
superfurryandy
Or you could just ignore it?
nixygirl
QUOTE (superfurryandy @ May 31 2005, 03:30 AM)
Or you could just ignore it?

Hmmmm true.
Or get terribly annoyed by it....one of the two.
It could be like syphilis tho, you ignore it and it stays around itching and shit.
(not that I've had syphilis or anything....and would know nothing about said itching)

luvs nix
butterfly_with_a_bomb?
Hang on, thick Americans write some shitty zombie comedy, aand all of a sudden it's Americas awnser to Shaun!? Plus we come up with fried gold and their awnser (which they obviously think is great) is this shite, makesyou glad to be British (English biggrin.gif)
nixygirl
I'm not British. I'm an Aussie, which is almost a Brit.
Damn Colonials!

luvs nix
superfurryandy
QUOTE (butterfly_with_a_bomb? @ May 30 2005, 05:46 PM)
Hang on, thick Americans write some shitty zombie comedy, aand all of a sudden it's Americas awnser to Shaun!? Plus we come up with fried gold and their awnser (which they obviously think is great) is this shite, makesyou glad to be British (English biggrin.gif)

Why?
WiseJoeyD
I suppose it's a compliment, and Shaun drew on so many sources so you can't begrduge another film trying to do the same, only in the US setting...with your guy form Six Feet Under; hurrah!

My guesstitude: an average movie 6/10.
butterfly_with_a_bomb?
QUOTE (nixygirl @ May 30 2005, 05:56 PM)
I'm not British. I'm an Aussie, which is almost a Brit.
Damn Colonials!

luvs nix

Well, an Aussie's close as you can get!

QUOTE (superfurryandy @ May 30 2005, 06:02 PM)
Why?

Because it shows how much better we are in the art of comedy biggrin.gif!
superfurryandy
Oh.

Is it a competition then - some people that just happened to be thrust into existance on one patch of land against some others who just happened to be thrust into existance on another patch of land?

Never got the hang of patriotism, meself - how can one be proud of a nationality - you have no choice in the matter, it's generally just where you're born.
butterfly_with_a_bomb?
Usually I'd agree with you and so today I will.
Julie
A quote from a friend:

I don't know. The brits could do it because they were looking at American horror films(mostly, there's some Italian as well). Americans homaging american films comes out like crap... just watch Scary movie.

I agree with him on this one. It's not a matter of who's comedy is "better". Each country's mainstream sense of humour is appropriate for it's mainstream citizens. One cannot argue with the fact, however, that American plays on American horror movies are generally shit.
Raven
Has anyone actually seen this yet?

There seems to be a lot of people getting worked up about something that could be quite good (it has won several awards already afterall . . . ).
Julie
QUOTE (Raven @ May 30 2005, 04:16 PM)
(it has won several awards already afterall . . . ).

I noticed that as well, and I have to say, I am at least a little intrigued.
Baz
I've just watched the trailer and can't see what the fuss is all about. All it is, is another zombie film. That's it, and the only person to compair it to Shaun is the guy from Ain't It Cool News.
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Baz @ May 30 2005, 09:46 PM)
That's it, and the only person to compair it to Shaun is the guy from Ain't It Cool News.

Quite, and AICN isn't exactly the most independent and reliable of sources. If some guy in the distributor's marketing department chooses to use this quote to drum up business that says nothing about the quality of the film.
TerryHenry
nah someone further back had a point - britain has brought itself up on comedy i.e monty python - the british mentality wouldn't be the same if it wern't for these geni-i (is that the plural of genius?)
nixygirl
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ May 31 2005, 08:51 AM)
Quite, and AICN isn't exactly the most independent and reliable of sources.  If some guy in the distributor's marketing department chooses to use this quote to drum up business that says nothing about the quality of the film.

That would be true to say, the only thing I could add to that is that the website art work is very SotD looking.

QUOTE (TerryHenry @ May 31 2005, 12:57 PM)
nah someone further back had a point - britain has brought itself up on comedy i.e monty python - the british mentality wouldn't be the same if it wern't for these geni-i (is that the plural of genius?)

It's true, we have whole generations of ppl who have this just bent sense of humour, and I'll add Aussies to that cause we always had more Brit humour than American. John Cleese has a lot to answer for. God love him!!! Which is probably why the funny is more prolific in England.
Personally, and this is not about which country is better, I find that an awful lot of American humour when done with that same bent style simply just doesn't work.
However, there are so many American comedians and comdeic actors that I just love i.e Wil Ferrel, Robin Williams, Duston Hoffman, Owen Wilson, Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black and Tom Hanks even.

I Heart Huckabees was brilliant! As was Napolean Dynamite.
They're definately in that 'alternative comedy' genre.

Anyways, I think it's unproductive to say one is better that the other, kind of silly.
I do however find it annoying when major studios see something like Shaun succeed and then try and re-do it to cash in. That really shits me. And it's all kool to say...'Well just don't watch it'...the thing that shits me about that is...so many other ppl will watch it and judge Shaun and RomZomCom by it!
luvs nix
Raven
QUOTE (nixygirl @ May 31 2005, 06:45 AM)
I do however find it annoying when major studios see something like Shaun succeed and then try and re-do it to cash in.

I don't know this but given that the film has come out just over a year after Shaun wouldn't that mean that it was in production before Shaun was released - that's not really going to be a cash-in is it? huh.gif (although they may well be cashing-in on how well Shaun did to boost the sucess of their own movie after the fact . . .).
nixygirl
Yea, good point Raven.
We'll really have to wait and see in that regard.
luvs nix
spacegurl
QUOTE (New York Times)
Matthew Leutwylers horror movie about six young people trapped in a creepy small town goes for parody and fails.

This is probably just another Scary Movie. I think it can't really be compared to Shaun because Shaun is not a parody, there are film homages( rather than piss-takes) and Shaun focus more on it's own unique comedy rather than trying too hard to be funny with lame jokes and gross-out humour.
Oxypoxadrin
Yeah, too me it looks much less like an original homage, and a lot more like a blatant rip off of other zombie flicks.

Having said that, it does look nice and gory, and being the bloodthirsty freak I am, I still may enjoy it for that alone smile.gif
spacemonkey
Ok and I quote from the trailer
This is like a bad horror movie

Yup, that's cause it is...

And again from one of the blurbs on the trailer

"The funniest gorefest since cabin fever" - EFilmCritic.com

Which wasn't funny and was pretty damn shite...

Damn those critics know how to rub it in. I just really hope they were being ironic.

Even so, I'll probably end up watching it, getting disappointed and wondering why I watched it, just like all the other American horror spoofs I've seen in the last couple of years. I think they broke the mould after the Evil Dead series.
Cult_Status02
I haven't been on this site in a long ass time. But I wanted to tell everyone abotu Dead and Breakfast. It's wonderful. It's nothing like Shaun of the Dead except that it's a comedy with zombies. It's more like Brain Dead than anything.

This movie is a must see, I was laughing my ass off. It's wonderful humour and doesn't copy anything from Shaun of the Dead.
Crutch
I have seen Dead and breakfast for a couple of times and I have to say, I enjoyed it. I didn't even think of Shaun, but of Dead Alive. It is definetly not as good as that one, but it is really funny. And you have to admit, that a hill-billy-comedy-musical with zombies is a good genre-mix.

It will never be a classic, but it definetly IS worth one and a half hour of your time! cool.gif
Crutch
QUOTE (Cult_Status02 @ Nov 23 2005, 05:22 AM)
I haven't been on this site in a long ass time.  But I wanted to tell everyone abotu Dead and Breakfast.  It's wonderful.  It's nothing like Shaun of the Dead except that it's a comedy with zombies.  It's more like Brain Dead than anything.

This movie is a must see, I was laughing my ass off.  It's wonderful humour and doesn't copy anything from Shaun of the Dead.

My man.
Rah
It's the answer to "How could you make a massive pile of shit?"
Mrs Bisley
hmmm... not sure about this one.... looks like a good 'un for a friday night with my mates but im not sure if id particularly like it.... hmmm.... oh, well..... cant always win....

not sure about the cymbal throwing thing though....

xxxx
Zoe
QUOTE (spacemonkey @ Jun 2 2005, 10:20 AM)
Which wasn't funny and was pretty damn shite...

'Cabin Fever' is a great comedy, it's like 'South Park: The Teen Horror Flick'.

It always amazed me they didn't play it up more as a comedy than a horror in the marketing. It makes me laugh as much as SotD and the gore's a darn sight better too. In fact I'd say SotD owes a lot to 'Cabin Fever' and that Eli Roth better achieved the balance between horror and comedy than Edgar did. Let's be honest no one is scared when watching SotD, but people were genuinely repulsed or frightened by Cabin Fever (despite it also being a very broad comedy, complete with full on punchline).

Bert, what the hell is that?

Huh? Oh, I'm gonna go shoot some squirrels.

Why would you want to kill squirrels?

Because they're gay.

Bert, don't be a fucking retard.

I'm kidding... I don't care if they're gay or straight, I'll kill them either way.
Crutch
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 23 2005, 05:52 PM)
'Cabin Fever' is a great comedy, it's like 'South Park: The Teen Horror Flick'.

It always amazed me they didn't play it up more as a comedy than a horror in the marketing. It makes me laugh as much as SotD and the gore's a darn sight better too. In fact I'd say SotD owes a lot to 'Cabin Fever' and that Eli Roth better achieved the balance between horror and comedy than Edgar did. Let's be honest no one is scared when watching SotD, but people were genuinely repulsed or frightened by Cabin Fever (despite it also being a very broad comedy, complete with full on punchline).

In my opinion Cabin Fever is way to hyped. The flic has crap-characters and the comedy-part is not good balanced. After the first half, when I realised, that it won't get very funny, I started to be funny. The director has still a lot to learn and is no match for Edgar.
Zoe
QUOTE (Crutch @ Nov 23 2005, 08:19 PM)
In my opinion Cabin Fever is way to hyped. The flic has crap-characters and the comedy-part is not good balanced. After the first half, when I realised, that it won't get very funny, I started to be funny. The director has still a lot to learn and is no match for Edgar.

Yes Edgar's directorial pedigree is really set after one whole film, the consistency of quality is dazzling.

Both are young directors both have a lot to learn. 'Cabin Fever' was up there with SotD for me, and so far as the humour and horror being unbalanced, I suppose that depends on your point of view.

You say it's not funny at first, but that's when the comedy is more subtle. An undemanding audience can enjoy the film's opening as a straight horror and the more informed film buff can appreciated Roth's sly nudges (and of course the more blatent dialogue gags from the teens themselves). I thought the more ironic humour in the first half building into farce by the second half and finishing up at totally silly for the finale worked really well. Shaun retained a more constant tone throughout, but that doesn't mean it's a better film and comedy is always subjective.

Your point about the characters being crap doesn't really stand up to scrutiny since they're deliberate comedy stereotypes there to mock the teen horror genre. They react in stupid and predictable ways precisely because they're two dimensional characters.

Where all modern slasher flicks are now tongue in cheek I admired Cabin Fever for bringing back the unecessary gore and sex to the genre whilst maintaining the humour.

In my opinion it's a very underhyped and underappreciated film - I just don't think people 'get' it.
Crutch
I think to be a parody of the stereotypes, the charakters were way too "subtle." At least in MY opinion. I don't think that it is good for ANY movie, if you don't care, who will die next or if you even hope, that the most anoying ones are going to die soon.

And Edgar made some lil' british comedy-show, as you may know. That was also quite okay.
Zoe
QUOTE (Crutch @ Nov 23 2005, 08:34 PM)
or if you even hope, that the most anoying ones are going to die soon.

Surely that's the fun of a horror film? I'm often cheering for the masked marauder - I mean who roots for the teens over Leatherface?

QUOTE (Crutch @ Nov 23 2005, 08:34 PM)
And Edgar made some lil' british comedy-show, as you may know. That was also quite okay.

I loved Spaced, don't get me wrong - but it's not a film and so I can only base Edgar's film direction skills on SotD, and though it's great it's not a masterpiece. He still has to prove his mettle for me.
rabbit57i
I've never considered Cabin Fever a comedy. Lots of horror films these days have comedic feels to them, but I wouldn't label this a comedy like I would Shaun of the Dead. In fact, I personally don't think this movie funny in a comedy kind of way. It's definitely over-the-top & outrageous but I would never label it a comedy.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 23 2005, 03:30 PM)
An undemanding audience can enjoy the film's opening as a straight horror and the more informed film buff can appreciated Roth's sly nudges

And blantant horror movie rip-offs. When you grew up on horror movies, you don't really see the "homage". You can't help but see the original that done much better.
Zoe
Not a comedy? The end of the film is a full-on punchline!
rabbit57i
Dawn of the Dead is filled with comedy & punchlines, but I still wouldn't categorise that as a comedy. I feel the director was trying to wacky & clever, but I wouldn't go so far as to give him the credit that he was making a comedy with horror.
Crutch
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Nov 23 2005, 10:29 PM)
Dawn of the Dead is filled with comedy & punchlines, but I still wouldn't categorise that as a comedy. I feel the director was trying to wacky & clever, but I wouldn't go so far as to give him the credit that he was making a comedy with horror.

Do you really mean Dawn?
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I think rabbit is referring to the Dawn of the Dead remake which had plenty of comedy moments, for example the shooting of the celeb lookalike zombies as a game.
Crutch
Thanks, that makes sense.

I think, the original Dawn also got it's comedy-bits, but on a more subtle and subversive, cultural-critic-way.
shinyelvenqueen
Probably won't rush to see that but may be entertaining. I agree they should not have refered to SOTD, it's a cheap move. They should be on Santa's nuaghty list for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.