Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ricky Gervais
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
superfurryandy
I watched some of Ricky Gervais lst night and was struck once again by the fact that even though I really dug The Office, I find him intensely dislikable and unfunny as a 'comedian'. A friend of mine said this earlier...

People marvel at how accurately and perceptively he managed to portray the loathsome Brent... let's just describe it as method acting and move on.

... and I tend to agree.

But what do you think? Was The Office, like Phoenix Nights, unfairly attributed to the 'genius' of one man alone, or would you like to have Ricky's babies?
Zoe
I've seen 'Politics' before and by far my favourite thing is Ricky's demented relationship with the long suffering Robin Ince.

Quality stand-up and a great comic writer, what's not to like?
ella
I hated The Office. I found him cringeworthy - I realise that this was the point of the character, but it was so convincing I couldn't bear to watch him. I know I am in a minority with my Office hatred, but I just couldn't watch the programme.

Never watched his stand-up because of aforemnetioned revulsion.
kateykinz
not too keen on the guy really.
beatoswald
I think he was key to the sucess of The Office but not wholly responsible for it. As a stand-up comic I think he's good but not particulary original and plays the arrogant/ignorant persona too much. Overall, I like him but wouldn't have his babies.
The Phantom
I thought the office was marvellous and could relate to it an enormous amount working in that sort of environment. the first gervais stand up dvd I saw 'animals' was it ? was very funny in places but the second one 'politics' just didn't really do it for me.
Chris
Hmmm good topic SFA.

I oscillate between thinking he's brilliant and average [though never ever bad]. I really loved The Office, perhaps Steve Merchant is overlooked, but Gervais is a consumate performer. I really like Animals and also Politics. I quite like trying to detect the differences between Ricky G [as if "we" can know him] and his oh so obvious alter ego - David Brent. It think that's why i like him...it's a brilliant construction/conceit because "we" never actually know Ricky, who, what
he is. His stage presence/ego dynamic is a master stroke. So, even if his stage[y] self is close to his social self, i sort of don't care because he has the performative skill to conceal and reveal at the same time. None of us actually know him, so the Ricky Gervais as David Brent, Ricky Gervais as comedian on stage and Ricky Gervais interviewed by Jonathan Ross et al is a constant game of revelation, half truth, guess work etc. I think it's a pretty clever and timely intervention into the comedy culture. Al Murray has a similar skewering of received opinion via characterisation thing going on doesn't he? But the crucial difference being; The Pub Landlord is so over coded/played one can't possibly mistake him for Murray. Gervais has just redrawn the map in that respect...the boundaries are just more blurred....how postmodern smile.gif

My girlfriend and I saw Politics 'live' and I love watching his performance skill in delivering the lines as if for the first time. Great lesson in delivery...probably only matched by Stewart Lee and bettered by Sean Lock.

Having said all that. I voted that "The Office was good but he's a one trick pony" category. Perhaps he is a one trick pony [maybe a trick and half!?] but it's a trick I like watching, one he does well and with skill

Chris
whitey
Politics really does seem like a weak cash-in on the success of the quite good Animals which itself was an Office cash-in. Not a big Office fan but I always found him funny on The 11 O'Clock Show. But that may have been because it always seemed like he hated Iain Lee as much as I did.

But yeah, Politics is wank.
Twiglet
i think he's ok..i enjoyed the eps of the Office that i've seen and i found his standup enjoyable too.
beatoswald
QUOTE (Chris @ Jun 3 2005, 02:34 PM)
......I quite like trying to detect the differences between Ricky G [as if "we" can know him] and his oh so obvious alter ego - David Brent. It think that's why i like him...it's a brilliant construction/conceit because "we" never actually know Ricky, who, what
he is......

Chris

I like what you say but couldn't the same be said of quite a few comedians, like Dylan Moran's angry drunk routine. Arguably others do it more subtly than Gervais, he seems to have set ways of delivery; to accentuate different aspects of him. Like when he leans into the audience, grins and nods his head as he builds his joke up. Or after a speech when pauses then slips in the most 'contraversial' remark then walks sharply along the stage, straigtening his nose. It seems too contrived and nudge-nudge to me. I know he doesn't mean most of what he says.
Chapman Baxter
I consider The Office an absolute masterpiece. Yes, Chris Langham did much the same thing before with People Like Us, but the execution of The Office was masterful. I also love his Xfm show with Stephen Merchant. I like his stand-up, but don't really rate him compared to, say, Bill Bailey or Eddie Izzard. As Chris mentioned, perhaps Stephen Merchant's contributions are the key to elevating Ricky Gervais from good to great.
spacegurl
I like him, i think Animals was better than Politics but he's still a great comedian.
He just seems really up-front without being big-headed and watching him on stage he just seems so natural as if he's just with mates, rather than trying too hard to perform.
shinyelvenqueen
I really enjoyed both his stand ups. The office was cringeworthy and didn't enjoy it at first. The christmas special was a godsend tho.

i think most people might get pissed off with him coz he started stand up after no time at all unlike the people who work for a very long time eg, billy connolly.
fear_of_pop
I loved him on the 11 o clock show, and then on his own chat show type thingy. (Which I just got on dvd and watched again for the first time since it was on - it's still ace.)
I loved The Office, but I don't think it's my favourite thing of his... listening to his XFM show is funnier sometimes. But The Office is still one of the best sitcoms I've ever seen - just not one I get the need to watch over and over again on dvd.
Can't wait to see what he's done with Extras.
Chris
I like what you say but couldn't the same be said of quite a few comedians, like Dylan Moran's angry drunk routine.

Oh absolutely. I'm quite sure it's a developed style adopted by many performers. Johnny Vegas of course also springs to mind. I just think Ricky walks that line quite well. He also has quite a high profile but he's still something of an unknown quantity. I don't think for a moment he's an unthinking racist, nor an over apologetic PC idiot...but I genuinely don't know what he is cos he's always playing "Ricky"..."is he a wanker?" "Dunno?" and I love not knowing smile.gif

Chris
fear_of_pop
If you DID want to know, you could listen to his show on XFM, it's the only thing he's completely himself on.
butterfly_with_a_bomb?
I prefer his stand-up to The Office (Politics was on last night)
rabbit57i
I like him a lot. I really enjoyed The Office but wary that it might be a one-trick pony thing. However, if you watch The American Office, you'll realize that Gervais is really what holds it all together. He's missing from the Amercian one and that's were it's "failure" is.

I've seen him do stand-up in "Animals" & also in other things as "himself". I don't know if he's a comic genius, but I do think that he's a very funny man overall. I would love to be a good friend of his. There should be more people like him (although not necessiarly in the public eye).
maian
Don't think he's up to much as a stand-up, especially compared to some of the current comic geniuses around at the moment.

I really liked the Office, and i reserve my judgement of him til his new program comes on, but otherwise i think he's a one trick pony.
Chris
If you DID want to know, you could listen to his show on XFM, it's the only thing he's completely himself on.

Well without going into a long drawn out discussion about the construction and constitution of "the self" My point is that none of us know him...nor can we. I've listened to the XFM show many times - a big fan - but he's playing Ricky, which is what he does best

Chris
spacegurl
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jun 3 2005, 04:42 PM)
I like him a lot. I really enjoyed The Office but wary that it might be a one-trick pony thing. However, if you watch The American Office, you'll realize that Gervais is really what holds it all together. He's missing from the Amercian one and that's were it's "failure" is.

The US version of The Office is coming to BBC3 in a couple of weeks, it'll be interesting to see 'cos i really can not imagine it without Gervais. Brick Tamland plays Brent doesn't he?
spunge_mad
i never realy bothered watching the office. His stand up was ok, nothing special though
Ingram
I never really watched The Office, and when I did I was most amused by Tim/Dawn laughing at Gareth. The Brent dance was... well that got real old real fast, enough said. His funniest moment was probably the one where he was fired while wearing the ostrich costume... but that's the only one that springs to mind.

As for his stand-up, he isn't one of the greats but he's thoroughly watchable and I often do laugh out loud. "Politics" and "Animals" have both been on channel four and I have gone out of my way to watch them - good stuff.
Sean of the Dead
I preferred Animals to Politics but they both have classic moments, such as

"Oh, the carrier bag? I shat myself. What's the pension scheme like?"
Ghost_862
Politics was, at least, better than Animals. But even then I only found about half of it funny.

But it's hard to find somebody funny when they are such a dislikeable character. Have you ever seen him interviewed? Smarmy, slimy little git.

He said during Politics, or at least strongly implied, that he was the best television stand-up around, which is untrue. He pales in comparison to Bill Bailey or Dylan Moran, or Billy Connolly or Jack Dee, for that matter.

And as if to add insult to injury he just couldn't help constantly rubbing in how much money these poor people had wasted on their tickets.
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jun 4 2005, 07:26 PM)
He said during Politics, or at least strongly implied, that he was the best television stand-up around, which is untrue. He pales in comparison to Bill Bailey or Dylan Moran, or Billy Connolly or Jack Dee, for that matter.

And as if to add insult to injury he just couldn't help constantly rubbing in how much money these poor people had wasted on their tickets.

"Some comedians were charging 20, but then I fought fuck it, you could what you pay for."
I think that's what you mean. Anyway, you aren't supposed to take what he says in his standup seriously, because it's pretty obvious it's like an act which does get laughs from the audience.
I seriously doubt he's like that in real life.
Ingram
When he was interviewed on Johnathon Ross I thought he was pretty decent, mainly because he knows Johnathon and has known him for a long time - he appeared fairly genuine. Whereas when interviewed on Newsnight - which was shown as an extra on one of his DVDs - he was a little smug. Although when the presenter was filming her questions and reactions his comments were rather amusing...
Ghost_862
I was thinking more of the Parkinson interview. He came across as very rude.
wherearethespoons
I'm not sure of what he's like as a person or whatever, though I have spoken to someone that knows him and he reckons he's a really nice bloke.

Anyway, I'm not bothered about all that. Comedy wise I loved The Office and I thought Animals was very funny. Politics not as good, in fact not that good really. The thing I liked about Animals is that he genuinely seemed to be interested in the subject but with Politics there wasn't much enthusiasm or effort.

If he is a one trick pony then it's working well for him. I think he probably is a one trick pony and it's just a matter of time before people get bored with this particular trick.

If he mentions that twat Karl Pilkington one more time though...
fear_of_pop
It really surprises me that people think he's smug. I think he's so self deprecating. Maybe if you only see one interview you might misunderstand him, not see the sarcasm, I don't know.
fatseff1234
I thought The Office was absolute bollocks, it had one remotely funny bit in the entire series or two (i dont care) and that was the "famous" dance that made me smile for three seconds. I HATE RICKY GERVAIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rabbit57i
I figured I could put this here:

Extras Promo

I thought it was funny.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Winslet as a nun.

Welcome back to Fantasy Island.
fear_of_pop
Barry off Eastenders. smile.gif

It's 'summer 2005' now innit?
ipse dixit
I like him. Although a mate of mine worked on a show (memory's failing me here, I think it was Teachers) and Gervais spent a bit of time hanging around there cos his girlfriend was working on it too. Even after a few weeks my mate just couldn't figure out whether he was 'being funny' all the time, or just a twat.
Ade
I like Marmite.
shinyelvenqueen
great on toast.
Jessopjessopjessop
Ricky's new comedy series 'Extras' starts Thursday 21st July at 9pm on BBC2.

I'm really looking forward to it.
Shack
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 13 2005, 09:14 AM)
Ricky's new comedy series 'Extras' starts Thursday 21st July at 9pm on BBC2.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Me too. He's all over the media at the moment as people are expecting another "Office". If it's even half as good I'll be pleased.

I've been watching Series One and remembering just how good it is and how much it makes me not want to work in an office. Yesterday was the "free love on the free love freeway" episode.
HellsBells
I've really not seen much of his stuff, but I could never watch the office for cringing. I would imagine since he seems to have so many fans that he must be pretty good, but my gut feeling is that I don't like his style of comedy. Also, people that I know who have worked with him say he's a wee bit strange. Although that may just be for effect.
fear_of_pop
I don't think that Extras is going to involve the cringe quite so much.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, Ricky's character is apparently more in the vein of a Tim than a David Brent, so you'll laugh with him rather than at him.

And Stephen Merchant's in it! The only thing missing from the Office was his lovely big face.
spacegurl
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Jul 13 2005, 12:17 PM)
And Stephen Merchant's in it! The only thing missing from the Office was his lovely big face.

He did pop up in the office, though, but I agree that it'll be nice to see him in proper role.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (spacegurl @ Jul 13 2005, 11:23 AM)
He did pop up in the office

Oggy oggy oggy, oi oi oi!
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (spacegurl @ Jul 13 2005, 12:23 PM)
it'll be nice to see him in proper role.

Agreed. I liked his cameo in Green Wing: 'Don't go, I think I love you.'
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Jul 13 2005, 01:27 PM)
Agreed.  I liked his cameo in Green Wing: 'Don't go, I think I love you.'

That was brilliant!

His teeny appearance in the Office was fantastic too, Brent made him cry. sad.gif
paulaboz
I think hes great- hes really funny and not afraid to say the most beserk thing ever, sometimes what he says its so near the nuckle its fantastic. Ive loved everything hes done from the 11 o'clock show, though the office made me really uncomfortable. Cant wait to see what him and stephen have up their sleeves next.
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (paulaboz @ Jul 14 2005, 05:37 PM)
I think hes great- hes really funny and not afraid to say the most beserk thing ever, sometimes what he says its so near the nuckle its fantastic. Ive loved everything hes done from the 11 o'clock show

Yup, I fell in love with him due to his beautifully expressed 'views' on the disabled and gingers and dwarves in the 11 o clock show.
Henry Krinkle
His new show Extras starts tonight. I'll be watching as I'm intrigued to see how they pitch the tone of the show. I'm hoping they pitch it like The Larry Sanders Show. That would be very welcome. It is kind of weird to think that Ricky Gervais is buddies with Ben Stiller, Samuel L Jackson etc. I can't imagine that.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jul 21 2005, 02:07 PM)
His new show Extras starts tonight. I'll be watching as I'm intrigued to see how they pitch the tone of the show. I'm hoping they pitch it like The Larry Sanders Show. That would be very welcome. It is kind of weird to think that Ricky Gervais is buddies with Ben Stiller, Samuel L Jackson etc. I can't imagine that.

I knew about Stiller, but Samuel L's in it too? Sooo-weeeet!
super_horse
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jul 21 2005, 03:30 PM)
I knew about Stiller, but Samuel L's in it too? Sooo-weeeet!

and Les Dennis, he was on Richard and Judy last nite (Gervais) and he said that he thinks the Les Dennis one is the best, but maybe he just feels sorry for him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.